Unpopular opinion thread

1 Like

It’s a landrace!

6 Likes

Unenamelled cast iron pots are washed only with water, without soap, and then you coat them with a little oil.

3 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

Cast iron is porous but the oils that are tempered into it on a molecular level is not going to be removed with a quick wash with soap if you rinse well with hot water and immediately dry and apply a thin coat of oil.
It depends on what you have prepared though. Potatoes… not a problem. Fish or chicken, problem. Of course that’s just my opinion and to each his own. I have a coffee pot that a lot would call gross but It just gets rinsed every now and then. lol

9 Likes

Heat it up again, whipe again. Cast iron 101.

I rinse mine while hot, give a whipe (if it’s nice and hot, everything comes right off) put back on the heat, if not clean enough repeat, whipe with oil, top and bottom.

4 Likes

it’s called “unpopular opinion” for a reason, and it sounds like someone has found a very unpopular one. i wash my cast iron with soap and water when it needs it, after i cook some things that leave a mess, like cornbread or something. one good round of fried chicken seasons it so well that it never needs it again though. as @MoBilly said, a light coat of oil, any kind that you can eat, fixes it right up.

of course, i found all three of them on the farm, rusted to hell, and had to take a wire wheel to them to get them into shape i could use them, so it’s not like i can’t fix them if i need to. but it never loses it’s seasoning completely unless you just don’t care at all about them. that reminds me i have to bring the dutch oven out to the new house and fix it so we can use it.

5 Likes

That’s a great way to ruin the finish of a cast iron skillet.

All my cast iron pot collection is old and salvaged by me.
The best way I found, after wire brushing the first pots, a tedious and long job, was to use sodium hydroxide mixed with water, let it sit on the iron for 5-10 minutes and then wash, you will see how the iron appears clean again, without rust, after this treatment you have to cure them in the oven with oil, I use olive oil.

6 Likes

This is too complicated. Non stick for the win.

3 Likes

It doesn’t need to be, there is much lower effort ways to restore cast iron without ruining the ability of it to hold the polymer coating.

RSO burps in public are awesome.

Yep that’s been my go-to. I don’t mess much with cast iron actually but i have a carbon steel pan that works about the same. I WILL use soap and water if I need. Wipe clean, then reheat on the stove and coat in oil or butter, wipe down, and let dry. Never had any soapy taste or anything weird from doing this. If you mess it up, can just wire brush back to iron/steel and then you can do ~4 fresh coats of oil to get it back and seasoned perfectly again.

The way I season: I prefer peanut oil if at all possible but vegetable/canola oil in a pinch. Olive oil has too low of a smoke point imo. Butter works similarly too in a real pinch. Anyways, I set the oven to 400. Coat the pan. Once the oven is preheated, I stick the pan in the oven, upside down, for an hour, and then turn off the heat. Let the pan reach room temp in the oven. Take it out and repeat the process ~3 more times until the pan is black and seasoned again.

8 Likes

nope. and thanx for the affirmation. it is impossible to ruin the finish of a cast iron skillet as long as you don’t crack or otherwise physicaly damage it.

@defharo thanx for the tip about sodium hydroxide. i don’t use anything but lard in the cast iron.

3 Likes

A wire brush is physical damage. It can and does lead to the polymer coating flaking off.

3 Likes

Except for 69 degrees doesn’t exist…
Somewhere I heard that Fahrenheit is measured in decimals and always rounds up. 1.1 degree 2.2 3.3 4.4 5.5 6.6 7.7 8.8 9.9 so on and so forth… so 69 degrees is technically 69.9 degrees and rounds up to 70 degrees…

Ask siri about it or Google it or whatever but I think it effects apple phones and not android

1 Like

Alton Brown tells how to cure cast iron cookware. It’s a big process, but i think he says never wash one, esp. w/soap. Says use salt, if i remember. I dunno google it. His procedure sure seems like the right deal to me. But it is complicated.

1 Like

I recently was picked to be a foster parent to 5 kittens that were left at my back door by their mom who apparently thinks I’ll do a better job than her lol… Then I saw this today. Now I’m thinking I can have a whole crew lol … This idea was not well received lol…

5 Likes

Oh boy. The temptation is strong with this one.

3 Likes

Thanks, i think this is pretty much Alton’s method that i woefully tried to describe.

3 Likes