Unpopular opinion thread

cast iron doesn’t have a polymer coating on it or any other coating. that’s why you season it. and it isn’t a wire brush, it’s a wire wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder. takes about a half hour to do properly, would take all day with a wire brush. that’s what i started with.

4 Likes

Did someone say 69?

1 Like

… What do you think happens to the oils when you season a cast iron pan? You sir, need to educate yourself. Wire brush, wire wheel, whatever you want to call it to feel correct still damages the cast iron. You are the personification of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

https://colors.kaelshipman.me/writings/demystifying-cast-iron-heat-and-the-polymerization-of-oil

2 Likes

This is the dumbest thing I’ve heard in a while. I guess just pure trolling. Not to mention counting by 1.1 would add to 69.3, which rounds down.

I also wash my cast iron with soap and water. Have done so on the same pans I’ve had for 15+ years with no adverse effects. Cast irons are the cheapest pans I own anyways, so even if they got ruined, I’d throw them away without any sympathy. I couldn’t be bothered to baby them with 4 rounds of seasoning. I think a heavy wire brushing is appropriate if you have a completely rusted out pan you want to restore, otherwise unnecessary.

I could see lye being effective for removing fat, but not rust. Either way, not something I’d bother with, even though I have lbs of it laying around.

3 Likes

Cast iron pans are the worst because they are too heavy and injure my lilly white wrists.

8 Likes

I want a porcilan sink but I cook- wash my cast iron skillets.
I’m scaired for a new sink because I know I would chip it right off the bat.

4 Likes

Seasoning:
Properly seasoning a cast iron pan creates a thin, natural nonstick coating on the surface. This coating is formed by polymerized oils that protect the pan from rust and make it easy to clean.
High Heat Cooking:
The high heat used when cooking with cast iron helps kill any bacteria present. The intense heat essentially “sterilizes” the pan’s surface.
Minimal Water Use:
Cast iron pans are typically cleaned by wiping out food residue with a paper towel or cloth, without submerging the pan in water. This prevents the pan from becoming waterlogged, which could promote bacterial growth.
Self-Cleaning Properties:
The iron in the pan has natural antimicrobial properties that inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria. The dense, smooth surface of well-seasoned cast iron also makes it difficult for bacteria to adhere.
Proper Drying:
After cleaning, cast iron pans are thoroughly dried to prevent any lingering moisture that could lead to rust or bacterial growth. Proper storage, such as keeping the pan in a dry place, also helps maintain its sanitary condition.

As long as cast iron pans are properly cared for and used, the combination of seasoning, high heat cooking, and minimal water use helps keep them hygienic without the need for soap. The pan’s material and maintenance routine make it a naturally sanitary cooking surface.

This is all true. However, If you have ever been chained to the toilet for two days (like I have) you would be keen on using some soap and water. Especially when you have cooked chicken or pork. I’d rather never experience that as long as I live. lol
And soap and water (used sparingly) WILL NOT HURT THE PAN if you don’t scrub (steel scrubbing pads are never used) down to metal and dry thoroughly before storing in a dry place. If too much of the coating is worn away, a quick coat of fresh oil cooked in at ~ 426 degrees will bring it right back to awesomeness.
I love my cast iron. No other pan does fried chicken, pork chops… like iron.

6 Likes

It’s really gross to not wash you’re cookware, plus the soap isn’t going to hurt the seasoning because it’s a polymer if done properly. I’m not sure why people insist on not cleaning it.

We love our cast iron too. We use it all the time. Omlettes are the best in cast iron imo.

4 Likes

Coffee is best at room temperature or slightly warmer.

6 Likes

:face_vomiting:

2 Likes

That’s fightin words right there :joy:

I like it about 100 degrees warmer than room temp :ok_hand: :joy:
Unless we’re talkin cold brew. Cold brewed coffee is fine at room temp, but i can’t do hot brewed coffee at room temp.

3 Likes

Cold coffee on beer gas is awesome.

Cold coffee is gross otherwise.

2 Likes

My go to is fill my tumbler with nice fresh hot coffee in the morning. Then let it ride around in my work truck for the day then sit in the truck till morning when I drink it on the way to work. Then I refill it at work and repeat the process

2 Likes

2 hours…
I’m smoking every 2 hours now.
Sometimes it’s hard, other times bliss
It’s like morphine when I smoke one now.
Eventually I will do just like I did before I went 2 hours.
Begin to notice opps, I went 2 hours 20 mins
When I get to that stage
I will try one cig every 2.5 hours and so on.
Hardest shit I ever have done, sometimes I feel like I can chew my arm off, other times I’m getting off
On the nicotine like I did way back when I started.
Still, I wish I could stuff a carton down a Phillip Morris executives Throat, Bastards

6 Likes

Good luck. I quit after 40 years, took several tries.

MY experience only, tapering down the nicotine only served to extend the miserable physical withdrawals. Don’t torture yourself that way, rip the bandaid off, go cold turkey, and in 48 hours your physical withdrawal will be finished. The way you are going now will make you miserable every single day, it’s a continuous withdrawal.

That’s my experience, we are all different, best wishes again.

7 Likes

You do not create your own thoughts. Nobody does. If I asked you how to create a thought, could you explain how you do it?

Smoke on it.

1 Like

just do some meditation and clear your mind.
then stop. Stopping would be creating thoughts by choice.

1 Like

I put baking soda in one ear and vinegar in the other ear. Then I shake it about a bit and new thoughts come out.

6 Likes

Yes, I will eat the bugs.

1 Like

I’d eat Daffy too if he gave me a good shot at him.

:laughing:

3 Likes