Up Potting & Transplant Question

Standard practice for me is to cut bottom out and leave 1 gal on, on top of but set down into 3 gallon half way. Roots from gallon will hide inside top level and expand out to bottom level, I mound up a little dirt to give the roots cover at first.

4 Likes

I see some do this from cup to 1 to x gal to x gal.

2 Likes

You can absolutely veg these another 4 weeks in 1gals. I grow start to finish in 1 gallons all the time without issue.

As for the transplanting I’m sure your plan would work just fine, just seems like more work than needed (also sacrificing a pot)? When the time comes, just pull the whole soil/root ball out of the 1 gallon, hit the exposed roots with some mycorrhizae, and put it in the 3 gal. It’ll be fine I promise :+1:

P.S. great to see you active on here

5 Likes

Yes. I just had plants in 1L containers for 6 weeks.

I wouldn’t recommend it, but you can push it pretty far.

6 weeks in 1 gallon sounds about right.

Edit - I wouldn’t cut the bottoms off. Just transplant as normal no big deal.

All the best.

7 Likes

Nothing to add more than vegging for 5/6 weeks 4 plants in a 2x2 will be a packed house!!! If you cut the bottoms off the 1g keep them, just double pot next round and remove outer pot to expose open bottom for stacked 1g/3g. Have fun!

Grow4th!!!

2 Likes

That’s what I like to hear! And yeah I’m doing mychro every transplant and In the soil. Thanks again for recommending me to this place! Lots of great knowledge!

@DougDawson @Foreigner @BasementBeans
I honestly hate to waste anything but they’re 99¢ and I’m working in such a small space / can’t go outside to do it bc neighbors. Transplanting even the solo cups got messy really quick and I’m a noob lol.

Figured this would be less shock and less mess.

6 Likes

Whatever works for you! It’ll go fine either way. Keep us posted :v:

2 Likes

I do it in the tub.

Re: shock - they are quite resilient and I think shock is mostly a result of soaking the medium too wet which is more a form of overwatering, but that’s just me

6 Likes

Many ways to get the job done. If the method you speak of is what you need to do than so be it :slight_smile: No matter how you do it I wish you well with your grow :peace_symbol:

5 Likes

I like the idea but got no tub, only stand up grated drain showers, and I think my girlfriend would kill me lol :rofl:

3 Likes

Will do! Thanks man.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words, looking forward to see how my first grow ends up!

3 Likes

I’m starting to think that most strains don’t mind and even enjoy a little root manipulation when transplanting. I used to be very careful about not disturbing the roots at all but lately I’ve been gently breaking up the soil and rootball to loosen everything up really good before transplanting and getting a coverage of mycorrhizae and they seem to be much more vigorous than my previous method.

Like Doug said though there are plenty of ways to get the job done, do a little experimentation and find what works best for you, good luck!

4 Likes

I beat the crap out of my roots when I transplant.

All the best and best of luck

7 Likes

If there are holes in the small pots, then just put the small pot on top of the bigger pot filled with soil. Works fine.

Then you can keep sowing in the small pot, throw in some cover crop seeds as well and keep topdressing in the big pot.

For example:
https://overgrow.com/t/no-till-stacked-pots-of-joy/74382

No need to ever transplant anything anyway.

3 Likes

Not enough vertical space for that only 2x2x6 so I need every inch vertically just in case

2 Likes

Looks like you have broad leaves, they typically don’t stretch much at all.
And you can always supercrop if need be.

1 Like

Maybe I missed it, but are these autos?

I recently discovered there are fabric pots as small as 1 liter, why do people still enjoy messing with roots? frech|nullxnull

No they’re Photos, here’s the grow diary!

2x2 Orange Kush Cake