Vancouver Island Burmese info thread

Does anyone know much about the background of the Burmese clone from Vancouver Island that was around in the early to later 90s? It seems to have been a cut that was used by a few breeders like the Vancouver Island Seed Company (VISC), Reeferman and Jordan of the islands.

Seems to have a sativa high on a indica build type plant. Some reports it can go 8-10 weeks, but a few of the reports i have seen about it from crosses suggest it takes more like 10-12.

I messaged Jordan a few days ago and haven’t heard back. He did say this when i first got my Burmese seeds.
“Hey bud, not much I can tell you about the Burmese strain except that it was my absolute favorite strain back in the early 90’s. Came to me as a clone only. I’ve made a few great crosses with it over the years…”
Direwolf OG said “My understanding is the Burmese cut came to the island via the Kootenays in early nineties. Originally spread around island via G from Vancouver Island Seed company. All the other places got it from G I believe.”

Got this from the 2000 Mark Emery seed site on archive.org. This is before widespread selfing, so it seems like a outcross and then backcross was used on the cut to get a seedline going.
Mostly Sativa. Easy to grow, easy to clone. Very stable. Don’t veg this mostly sativa too long or possible height problems. The smell is amazing and very aromatic. Used to be called “Mr Hightest” on the island. Height 1.6 meters Flowering time 8-10 weeks Yield 110 - 140 gr.
Description

Easy to grow, easy to clone. Very stable, we’ve kept the pure Burmese since the early nineties as well, VISC has used Burmese to breed some of the best Hybrids around. Burmese took first place in the Tokers Bowl 2000. Dont keep Burmese in the veg. state too long or possible height problems as the elongation during the flowering transition is impressive. For Sea-of-Green flip to bud as soon as the clones have roots. The smell is wonderfully amazing and very aromatic. One of the taller plants in your garden, exceptional results from a Flowering time of 8-10 weeks but many growers harvest after only 7 weeks for that early cerebral high. Indoors experienced growers can expect 2 to 4 ounce yields in a 2 Gallon pot indoors.
Flowering Time: 8 - 10 weeks
Yield: 110 - 140 grams
From seedfinder
https://jordanoftheislands.com/product/burmese-1/

https://www.vancouverseed.com/pgallery/visc/pages/Burmese_P2210242_JPG.html
So many different Burmese crosses lol.
Burmese
Burmese is easy to grow, with consistent results of top grade bud that pleasures all your senses. Her pungent aroma is instantly recognizable; her high is cerebral and immediate. Burmese has been a cornerstone of VISC for over fifteen years and was awarded BEST SATIVA at the 2005 Harvest Cup in Vancouver. Burmese has the extended bracketing between nodes expected in a pure Sativa. In a two gallon pot she will flower 6 to 8 weeks (edit: lol, did they ever harvest premature weed), one of the quickest finishing Sativa, with a yield of 80–120 grams / 3-4 ounces. Grows well indoors and out.

https://www.icmag.com/threads/burmese-sativa-visc-chimera-who-likes.293963/

https://www.icmag.com/threads/burmese-burmese-info.176390/

I have sent messages to some other old time B.C. growers who are on ig and am awaiting more responses.
If anyone knows if “G” from VISC is online in any way, let me know please

5 Likes

It is mentioned on these podcasts as well.

I might know a guy … might take a bit but I’ll reach out. He is from and still lives in the kootenays but as far as I know was never involved online , he just doesn’t do the internet or interact with the community in general. Last I heard he is getting me “the” blueberry muffin cut and he got me the mk ultra and a few others so when he reconnects I’ll enquire. I’ve heard him talk about the fast burmese cut because I have a really short season here a few hours north. If I hear anything I’ll be in touch.

8 Likes

The “Burmese” from the 90s was used in quite a few of the well loved varieties from that time and since.

The part that no one seems to nail down is was it the Burmese Kush that was around in that time or an actual Burmese landrace/heirloom.

I would be leaning towards the 1st due to the Durch involvement and their preference towards faster flowering.

If someone was still holding that cut logic would say it would be a killer breeding tool @SHSC-1

3 Likes

It was out well before Burmese kush from thseeds, so i do not think there is confusion there at all. It seems most likely to be some sort of hybrid with a flowering time like that, but again, its not certain. but could be a northern Burmese plant, said to be closer to chinese indicas in morphology and flowering. It’s hard to say for sure what the Burmese really was, but it does have a clear chain of custody. it seems to be a good base for many crosses and brought in something interesting enough that it was the basis for a few of VISC’s crosses and JOTI’s as well as other BC breeders of the day. Reeferman, Coastal seeds and others have done Burmese stuff that may have come from this line, but there’s no confirmations.

@SHSC-1 that would be great if you could get info and a lead on it, the strain is definitely something worth documenting and spreading if possible.

5 Likes

Jordan responded today, let me know he doesn’t remember anything about its provenance or anything. Just a great cut from the 90s he used. Did not say if it was connected to visc or any other breeders.

4 Likes

thanks for digging into this @jessethestoner always really in learning about bc cuts and history!

3 Likes

Its a fun thing to do when high at a computer.

1 Like