True Origins of strains and misconceptions.....

This is my 1st forum. I’m 51 and soon to be 52 years old, born in 1971 in Quincy MA, grew up in North Weymouth MA, basically I lived minutes from Boston. I’m chirping up now to shed light on what seems to be termed as the “Old School” strains.

Indeed in the late 80s and early 90s in MA you could get your hands on legit Mass Super Skunk as well as Chemdawg…legit! I’m not talking about clones or trades, simply the bud! This was a fact and the real deal, it was simply known, unmistakeable in it’s look, texture, smell, quality, and overall appearance left nothing to speculation. If you knew, you knew!

However, and undeniably there also another strain floating around MA and it was commonly referred to as Lambsbread or even Lambs Breath. I was introduced to it as Lambs Breath and as a result of my 1st encounter with this strain I still refer to it as Lambs Breath…technologically recognized as Lambsbread. I guess your 1st encounter is what keeps but I fully recognize the different nominclator.

This strain was extremely saught after even during the boiling point of Mass Super Skunk and Chemdawg (nomenclatior set aside). I have a lot to say about the strain and it’s origins however this is not my objective.I will say that the strain that made its way through MA may have been a cross of some unknown Dutch as dutch strains became very prominent in Jamaica around this time (late 80’s early 90’s).

I’m 100% certain this exact cut no longer exists. I have grown multiple Jamaican landrace strains and nothing resembles that late 80’s early 90’s cut.

I’d love some feed back on this, maybe someone out there knows exactly what I’m talking about. The buds were so dark that you may even say black…but not quite!

Anyway, just an old timer that’s been cultivating for 30+ years and haven’t been able to shake that so called Lambs Breath/ Lambsbread.

I’m new here but have back stories to shake!

Thanks in advance, take care community!

30 Likes

My experience with Jamaican, the kind you get from rastas around the blue mountains is a very sativa variety, with long dready calyxes (just like the hair styles of their cultivators :joy:). But the ganja is somewhat mild in effect — though it still has a good ceiling.

If the bud you remember has a more hashy appearance like most post-dutch stuff, then I would guess it is probably a cross of one of those island strains to a Dutch strain.

From what I know, Jamaican landrace is likely related to Colombian landrace, and I think they have similar characteristics. But they won’t form the kind of dense nugget buds, because in hot humid climates, those structures are too prone to mold.

19 Likes

All the Lamb’s bread/breath strains I have ever seen were heavily Sativa and had light green/yellowish/white buds. I have never seen a dark pheno.

5 Likes

Wow, I never expected a reply…Thank you Lefthandseeds!

I guess what I’m sincerely interested in is is if there’s any folks out there that remember this bud that only existed for a few short years in the late 80’s and early 90’s.

This was unmistakable bud, it was widely known in MA in the late 80’s early 90’s as true Lambsbread/LambsBreath. It was a bud that only existed within very tight circles…In other words, it wasn’t the other killer originals of Mass Super Skunk or Chemdawg which became more available in MA in the late 80’s early 90’s.

The Lambsbread/lambsbreath I’m talking about was truly unforgettable, it was remarkable, as in you must remark.

I fully know that its total fumes that I can offer.

Thanks for responding! AMAZING!

8 Likes

Welcome to OverGrow, I love a good story! Lambsbread can be found, lambs breathe… if it can be found, OG’s will find it.

6 Likes

Thanks herojuana.tom, I agree…however this was a sought after and known strain. It was known widely as Lambsbreath in MA when I grew up but should truthfully be known as Lambsbread…nonetheless, in MA in the late 80’s and early 90’s it was often referred to as Lambs Breath…rare but very well known!

5 Likes

When i went to Jamica in the late 70’s, I was told by local growers that Lambs Bread(it is Bread) is not a specific plant. When one plant stands out in their larger grows, they will chop down all others close to it, giving it full sun and more nutes. They treat is better, gets more attention.

True or not, that’s what the Rasta’s i met told me.

9 Likes

Early Pearl is an older Dutch strain from that time, and supposedly the same breeders as super skunk. I know sensi has a cross to it called Jamaican Pearl… but I’m not sure when they came out with that. Maybe someone here knows.

5 Likes

Thanks for chiming in Helioshear! Yes, this was a notorious strain for about 2 years in the Boston area. It is unrivaled in the countless strains I’ve enjoyed. I know someone is fully aware of the origin, back story and the rest.

You just don’t produces a killer strain, smuggle it, and deal and distribute it without more info. As crazy as it seems, I was in the middle of Chemdawg and Mass Super Skunk when this popped its head…but never to be seen again. I have back stories but its just that, backstories !

5 Likes

Jethro, great info and thanks for chiming in. I’m overwhelmed by the responses.

I can’t speak for the growing practices but wish I could!

I guess I’m trying to zero down on specifics about this well known and very specific strain that Bostonians referred to as Lambsbreath/Lambsbread during the late 80’s and early 90’s. It sincerely was only around for about 2 short years. I know it’s gone forever now.

I’m dreaming of some kind of insight to this specific strain that lived and died like a rock star.

5 Likes

Lefthandseeds, you are correct. I guess my problem is information on the strain that crushed it in MA in the late 80’s early 90’s.

Thanks for your thoughtful insight…This is quite latterly my 1st forum and I’m overwhelmed by the response to my impossible inquiry!

8 Likes

Old lambsbread line

These do not fit color wise but thought I’d tease the good peoples of OG with a couple pictures from JahGreenLabel.

14 Likes

Mithridate!!! WOW!

I’m shocked at the response to my inquiry, you even provided incredible pics too! Thank you so much for taking the time to read the thread and include some incredible pics!

This has been my Moby Dick for sure…as well as others that I grew up with! The strain that MA was privileged to experience in the late 80’s and early 90’s was exceedingly difficult to obtain but possible with the right connections. I’ve grown out countless Jamaican strains…only in search of finding something remotely close to that strain. I’ve come close believe it or not from running KCBrains / Brains Choice. However this bean has several different phone’s and non are the same as the strain in MA for the short 2 years.

I will say on a sidetone that the Brains Choice at least made it to the stadium but never entered the arena of the strain that existed in MA in the the late 80’s early 90’s.

I’m 100% certain that the strain was lost like so many other killers.

My hope is to only know more about this specific strain that bowed to no one for its brief moment in the sunshine!

Thank you so much for joining in my unobtainable journey to fly a bit closer to the sun!

7 Likes

What a feel good story :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Welcome to OG!

5 Likes

Challenge accepted :sunglasses:

possibly a South Indian x skunk1 cross

Edit
I remember Sam skunkman telling growers that crossing skunk1 with a sativa leaning line would result in wild equatorial like plants. :+1:

10 Likes

Welcome to the OG community brother, glad to have you here. You’ll soon find out about how incredible the information to any query will gain popular results. You may even run into an individual or two with that particular strain.

4 Likes

That was my conclusion after re-reading Bob Marley’s comments. It wasn’t a specific plant.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Thanks Lophophora for showing interest in a bit of historic lore. My friends and I still talk about that short lived strain to this day. I’ve mentioned it in the thread and I’m convinced that someone knows more about the backstory on it’s origins. I’m convinced it was in fact Jamaican and likely crossed with something that came in from the Dutch.

2 Likes

Yes and kings bread is when a plant has been rev-egged and then harvested from a second time… a lot of seed companies were putting strains out around that time and using terms for strain names makes things hard to sort out, example nevils Hindu Kush was not Hindu Kush … so on and so on.
@GoatCanna Extremely dark strain were not that common during that time , I’d be researching the original (the black) strain I think came out of Texas , Kandahar, Vietnamese black and perhaps the history of the Jamaican governments role in large scale cannabis exportation during those times. A lot of the Jamaican cannabis came from other parts of South American. Basically just because the square groupers came from Jamaican boats it was not necessarily Jamaican landrace weed. It’s very possible you are looking for cabeca de negro, it’s very dark, very sativa , greasy was and is still grown in large amounts. There was also some weed church with ties to Florida and all kinds of genetics were already traveling to different gardens at that point.
Most landrace cannabis in Jamaica is of Indian origin with some African genetics also that came over in the 1800s.
Cannabis is not imported here in the way or amounts it used to be and the 18+ week sativa are very rare to get your hands on now especially grown correctly or even more rare from the there native soils. Also some cultures dry cannabis in odd ways that results in darker color, one way that comes to mind is the way Malawi gold is traditionally wrapped , there fermenting the plant material to some degree.

8 Likes

Mithridate…AMAZING! I too fall in your camp of thought, it was certainly a cross of some kind. You are 100% correct that the landraces in Jamaica were notoriously different, in fact they were vastly different even by landrace standards. It was most likely a chance cross with a different continent strain and was thankfully recognized for its extreme potency, look, smell, and taste.

This wasn’t something that was being slung around the Boston area, it was so desired that the only way to obtain it was to seek it out and do a lot of begging…even to obtain an 1/8.

You nailed the description of how impossible it was to break apart, it was some of the stickiest bud that ever circulated. Your description on very dark brown is dead on too, I said it was almost black because of just how dark it was but I’m very comfortable saying very dark brown too…nontheless, very dark!

Thank you very much for sharing your insight!

3 Likes