Vegetable Garden - 2022

Yes, but only the smooth ones. Don’t get me wrong, not 100% of them make it to full ripeness, but most of them do. The ones that start getting spots on them will go to the deer, and at that time of the year, they love 'em.

4 Likes

I like to grow yellow/orange tomatoes because they have a lower histamine content… helps with my sensitive tummy. :sweat_smile:

I’m decided to start an indoor project to breed the dwarf gene into Jaune Flamme. I think I’m going to cross it to dwarf sweet sue and then F2/backcross repeatedly to Jaune Flamme. Dealing with a nice, stable heirloom should make it pretty easy to stabilize it into something fairly identical, but with the recessive dwarfing gene. Plus, you can identify the dwarf gene from seedlings… so that’s rad.

5 Likes

I’ve been dabbling with growing tomatoes indoors for awhile now. I think I’ve found a trick that works. I’m also doing some garlic and celery. The tomato is a classic beefsteak heirloom from Bakers Creek. My next ones will be a couple of others I bought from them. Cherokee Purple, which I’ve grown outdoors for a couple of years and love them. And another one I’m trying soon is Prairie Fire I just picked up from Bakers Creek.

7 Likes

:walking_man: Stumbling in late here.
Well, late to the thread but not late for my season yet.
Just starting my planning for this year but I am leaning to a more permaculture type thing interplanting veggies into flower/tree beds.
Grand ideas, grand ideas.
I normally do the usual suspects, tomatoes/herbs/cukes/zuk/peppers etc.
I have a few Heirloom things from my mother-in-law who sometimes comes home with treats in her suitcase. I have 2 heirloom turkish sour cherry trees from family land as well as a Erik tree which is a tiny plum that tastes like a crab apple.
Also grow several varieties of pepper you can not find here in the states.

Looking forward to following along with everyone this year, good luck to all!

4 Likes

This woman lives nearby, and gave a couple of talks for our extension gardening group. She’s a bit of an “influencer” but still does some interesting things in a suburban setting.

We live in the woods, so it’s limited sunspaces, and have to stick veggies in among flowers and herb.

We’ve also been trying to cram as many native, pollinator plants in as possible.

It’s a treat to walk around eating a sun ripened tomato and watching stuff buzz, and flutter :slight_smile:

It planning for planting time here!

5 Likes

Hey guys, I think I’ll play along on this thread :slight_smile:
had a veggie garden since 1982, my landlord got kinda pissed at me for rototiller’ing up the backyard without permission…but I was just that stoopid, lol.
I think there are 600 plus garlics out there now, one of my favorite crops. Tomatoes that I grow are Opalka, Mark Twain, Cherokee Purple, German Johnson and Prudent Purple.
I enthusiastically use cover crops as my sole fertilizer, complimented with manures and compost when I can of course, but pretty much the covercrops are the fuel.

13 Likes

Nice @willie !
I love the Black Swallowtails. Last summer we must have had 20+ cats on a dill plant one day, the next they were gone. Wasps got them :frowning:
I just got a bunch of native plant seeds from our botanical garden. I’ve got to stratify most of them, but according our groundhog, Sir Walter Wally, I’ve 6 more weeks to get 'er dun!

4 Likes

I’m not buying into the Pa rodents predictions. I see squirrels frolicking…it’s over I think.
That swallowtail is on Fennel…that is their food of choice, dill is second. I actually move them off the dill to the fennel. I think some birds get them figured out and then they disappear fast. The ones that make it form this weird sarcophagus-like shell thing that is way cool.

4 Likes

Ha, when don’t they? I think they get high off eating our gas cans :frowning:

Thanks for the memory jog, we planted Bronze Fennel last year for the first time, and that was what was loaded with Black Swallowtail cats. And, yeah, we moved some off the dill, too, after they ate it all.

We did have a few make it out of the chrysalis, very cool.

We are really trying to load up on pollinator plants… and maters, of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Tomatoes and corn anyone? Lol

13 Likes

Damn! Are you eventually gonna take them outside? Because that’s a lot of 'mater plants!

3 Likes

Haha nope, greenhouse grown veggies are delicious! :yum:
Got 2 each of 23 different varieties plus 4 tomatillos
Waiting on more grow bag to finish up the last 6 varieties haha
It’s gonna be a tasty year haha

4 Likes

Depends what kind :slight_smile: What are we looking at?

U would ask me to name em all… Well here goes…
Rainbow cherry
Beefsteak
San marzano
German giant
Costoluto genovese
Large cherry
Rutgers
Bradley
Marglobe
Italian tomato tree
Brandywine
Pink brandywine
Yellow brandywine
Mushroom basket
Large orange
Cherokee purple
Pink stuffer
White wonder
Giant pink Belgium
Hillbilly
Manitoba
Green zebra
Tiggerella
Kellogg’s bfast tomato
German Johnson
Rainbow
Purple tomato
“Seed plant” cherry tomato
“Valley Greene” cherry tomato
Tomatillos

10 Likes

Corn is butter and sugar and silver queen

5 Likes

That’s quite a list! I’ve had 2 or 3 of 'em, lol! Do you just like variety, or looking for one’s you might like?

#x corns seems so much more reasonable :slight_smile:

How big is your greenhouse?

Good luck.

Well it actually started by doing a huge 500 seed starter thing to offer to my lil town of 1200ppl , gonna prob go sit in center of town tomorrow with these

Kept the best two of each kind and offering the rest to the community for a buck each. Majority of those I’ve never grown so it will be an awesome peek into some of the different kinds of tomatoes for colors,shape, texture, and taste

Greenhouse is 12’ x 16’ x 10’ tall with a swamp cooler on back and 3 lines of 110v and a makeshift partial loft in the back at 6ft high and the back 4 ft of the greenhouse

10 Likes

That’s generous gesture. I help in some community gardens that do plant sales, folks should jump on an offer like that!

All of that is going to fruit in that greenhouse?

3 Likes

It sure is! Start to finish :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Moving to a new house soon. Not sure what shape the gardens will be in, but it does have a proper yard unlike the current place. Pretty excited!

Just put in the seed order, trying to keep it simple this year:

Lacinato Kale
Red Romaine Lettuce
Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard
Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans
Oregon Sugar Pod II Peas
Black Cherry Tomato
Poblano Peppers
Sugar Baby Watermelon
Beneficial Insect Flower Mix

9 Likes