Vegetable Garden - 2022

Yup, wasps were one of the natural control options mentioned in that article I linked. I’m not sure most people would buy them in large quantities to control their pest population, but if you’ve already got 'em (I do, too!), leave 'em bee! :honeybee: (lol…see what I did there? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

ezgif-2-f680b93cc3

2 Likes

:joy: I see what you did there! Lol. They were at an old house I lived at and the wasps did abound! When I grew broccoli, I always got excited to see them heading to the garden. It was like clockwork!! Land on those big leaves and grab one in her mandibles and carry it off to the nest…yesssss

1 Like

I decided to try my hand at vegetable gardening from seed this year on my fire escape, I went pretty modest since as well as a lack of space there is lack of sun most of the day!

Got some spinach in the little tent, arugula, bunching onions, milkweed, dill, and catnip!

3 Likes

Nice! Everything looks very happy and healthy. Herbs and lettuces are great for grow bags, aren’t they?

BTW - how’s the catnip working?

1 Like

Thank you :grin: for asking as the catnip was the seed I wasn’t sure would flourish as it needed full sun! I started in my tent and then transplanted it and it seems to have done ok! I will say I haven’t given any to my cat dried yet. I saw the Heritage harvest company recommended here on one of your Veg threads I believe and I am very happy I did, all my seeds but the milkweed and dill are theirs!

1 Like

Look at my mutant carrots :carrot:

8 Likes

Oh snap, glad I found this thread.
I show some of this year’s garden little at a time.
Can only post one picture at a time for now so I show my dwarf orange tree.

7 Likes

So my garden started out like this in March.
I tried growing potatoes in a feed bag .
I learned from it .
I got 10lbs of pretty clean potatoes out of 8 or so bags.
I seen way way better .
So I learned to use reg soil
Mixed in with the light stuff
From Lowes, and not just
MG soil.
Also adding in straw would be a good idea.
I grew in the ground to and will show 1 Pic at a time lol.
Inside the wire area I grew tomatoes but we get to that soon.
Peace.

4 Likes

The wired in area I turned dirt like always, with a shovel.
For many years that’s all.
I used.
I’m a prepper so it was a years long experiment to see
What a man, a shovel and nothing else could achieve.
The only notes were added
From turned over weeds only.

Somewhere I have a Pic of over 100 types of tomatoes
And 30 of peppers a certain
Breeder here and elsewhere
Gave Me .
All done with a shovel and my back.
Was the bad to the bone imo.
This Pic shows the tiller effect.

3 Likes