Vernal's Basement Follies

Woot! Going to need more popcorn. Looking forwards to the show

3 Likes

Those bastards kicked me off IG! I have no idea why. I just posted the same shit I post here but one morning I opened IG and there it was. You have been booted! Itā€™s not easy to get back in and I couldnā€™t find enough shits to give to try. Thanks brother. I appreciate the tip however. Love and Respectā€¦
:cowboy_hat_face:

12 Likes

Happens to a lot of people. Hasnā€™t happened to me yet but happens all the time for totally innocuous reasons. Stuff thatā€™s totally legal in their respective state. I think a lot of the bans happen because someone gets pissy or jealous and reports you. One would just create a new account with a new email.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve never had a IG account, I do have a fb one (the missus insistedā€¦ I check it nearly every other month). OG is more my scene. Pictures of cats, dogs, food (decent brownies are a exception) and idiots doing idiotic things is pretty boring imo.
Iā€™ve got 2 email accounts though. One is all the boring stuff (bank, govā€™t, work etc) and is about 9 years old.
The other is my general account and has emails in it going back 26 years lol.
{This took me off on a tangent. I have to share this google search of my general account. Love the number of returns hahaha
About 420 results (0.45 seconds)
No results found for ā€œ@**.com.auā€.
Results for ****@.com.au ((without quotes)less than 2 pages)

4 Likes

IG is a cesspool. But, lots fantastic content and people on there too. Thereā€™s more grow-scene content on there by now than all the forums combined. I hear ya, Facebook is wack. I left years ago and donā€™t regret it a bit.

7 Likes

The vegetative tent is getting crowded. Tomatoes are going nuts; theyā€™ll go outside tomorrow. I culled two of the Whitaker Blues seedlings, as they were displaying variegated ā€œblue familyā€ traits. The Acapulco Gold x Zipolite Oaxacan seedlings are doing well, up and at 'em. I also culled two Afkansastan x Snow Lotus plants for being males, including the favorite plant in the garden (pictured below).

My favorite Christmas Bud plant is a male, it smells and has good structure for an Afghani, so good news on that front. This will likely be the male I use for crosses.

Once the remaining plants show sex and males are culled, the most promising six females will be put into 5 gallon hempy buckets for flowering under the 1K HPS. On track for early May.

After that, the plan is to germinate 11 of Doc Dā€™s American Skunk Selection (Bodhi cut) x Afkansastan/X18 Pakistani and 4 of the Real Seed Companyā€™s Sinai Landrace. Regular updates to follow.

My poor Afkansastan x Snow Lotus plant. You were the burliest plant of 25 seeds.

21 Likes

Nice job!
Im not sure if you are the same Vernal i met on Strainly, but his this is Billy from Maine!

And if you arenā€™t the same Vernal, Hi anyways and keep up the good work!
Also thanks for sharing

5 Likes

Striking plant loaded with personality looks like. Good Growin ā€˜ my man!

3 Likes

The very same. I remember you. The only Mainer that I sent anything to! If you grew any of my beans I hope they turned out ok!

5 Likes

So cool, hi!

Actually i just popped a few blue magoo x scotts og or the other way around. I will let you know, im sure it will be great.
I hope your move turned out all good and its nice to see your grow going.

6 Likes

All settled here in the mitten! Yep itā€™s the Blue Magoo bx2 x Scottā€™s OG. Yeah lemme know how they turn out for you, Iā€™d love to see updates.

6 Likes

Thats cool. It can be stressful moving and all.
Will do! I kind of took a little break but am all gung-ho now to get some stuff done.

3 Likes

10/11 on the Doc D "American Skunk Selection x Afkansastan/X18. One seed was a twin but I couldnā€™t save the runt, and one was a dud. 3/4 Sinai have popped too. I believe the Sinai are pretty old so Iā€™m happy with it.

Veg Updates:
Killed the Christmas Bud plants and took clones. It is not a happy cloner, they wilted immediately, #6 might not make it, #7 looks like itā€™ll pull through, and #11, my favorite, is doing fine. I believe #11 and #7 are males. I was running out of space and since we arenā€™t doing seeds this run I just need a clone of the males. I figure any plant that wonā€™t clone under normal conditions isnā€™t worth keeping anyway. Usually I never have any issues cloning, cut cut scrape and plant, maybe mist a couple times. I actually had to make crude humidity domes this time to prevent wilt.

I culled 2/5 of the remaining Deathstar x Christmas Bud as I didnā€™t like the structure and they werenā€™t as smelly as the others.

2 TK x G13HP, 1 Soraya, and 3 Deathstar x Christmas Bud were up-potted into 5 gallon hempy buckets and tied down to open the canopy. In one week theyā€™ll go into flower. Only the TK x G13HP are confirmed females but males usually show first, so Iā€™m betting at least 5/6 buckets will be gals. I suspect that since the Deathstar clone is a from a Female x Female cross, the progeny are more likely to be female.

14 Likes

5 days into flower and the plants seem to have taken notice. Got the bulb about 18" from the canopy, here in a couple weeks Iā€™ll have it closer to 14". Stretch should begin within a few days. 5/6 plants are female, as suspected, one Deathstar x Christmas Bud still isnā€™t pushing pistils but I really doubt itā€™s a male at this point. Everything has been lightly defoliated.

In the defoliation debate, I am a staunch proponent. I think itā€™s important to allow light and airflow to the interior of the plant, and proper defoliation reduces larfy lowers and increases dense top flowers. However, I do not think itā€™s in any way necessary to strip plants bare; seems unduly stressful. Plants do need some leaves to properly transpire, stripping plants bare reduces photosynthetic capacity for a few days until they leaf out again.

Everything is very broadleaf in this run, but I could see the Triangle Kush x '88 G13HP/NL getting away from me. If youā€™ve ever grown an OGK cut you know how absurd it can be. I donā€™t anticipate a great deal of stretch from the Soraya or the Deathstar x Christmas Bud, but sometimes they do surprise you.

And here in the veg tent we have the 10 American Skunk Selection x Afkansastan/X18 Pakistani doing quite fine. Looking like big broadleafs as expected. 2 Sinai Landrace are a few days behind but they were old, light colored seeds so they might very well catch up. I also sowed 3 more Triangle Kush x '88 G13HP seeds, which are all up now. They have great vigor, reek in veg, and clone easily. I think theyā€™ll be the winner of the first round of flowering, so I wanted to make sure I had more on deck. I have 4 left, which will be germinated next round.

2 Whitaker Blues is looking great! Big squat broadleaf, one is already a confirmed female. Very vigorous, wish I had more than 4 seeds to start with to accommodate my ruthless culling. 2 Acapulco Gold x Zipolite Oaxacan doing fine, I already topped it once and it didnā€™t flinch, just started growing sideways. Oh, and a couple of the cuts have rooted, and the rest are going to make it, if they havenā€™t rooted already. 100%, but I had to work at it harder than I would have liked. Definitely much less leaf on the cuts next time and less light. Broadleafs canā€™t hang.

13 Likes

Excellent @vernal. Beautiful children! Will you be making any seeds with the Acapulco Gold/Zipolite Oaxacan? I feel like dancinā€™. Love and Respectā€¦

2 Likes

Everything is looking great in here. Iā€™ll be watching to see how these turn out. I like your choice in breeders. :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Hey thanks! To answer your question, I was toying with the idea of making an old time Central American line. I am going to look through the AG x Zipolite a few at a time, then look for a male from ACEā€™s Honduras. It will probably take some time; the way these are growing in veg makes me think theyā€™ll run north of 100 days of flowering, and Iā€™ll only be able to run one at a time since they take up half a 4x4 flower tent once they get going.

8 Likes

Weekly happenings. Not pictured: plants in flower. Itā€™s day 12 and plants are all pushing pistils. Stretch has been less than anticipated. I am hoping they get another 6" taller between now and week 3. Iā€™m pretty decent at keeping plants short. The tent is 4x4 but IMO a 1K only covers 3.5x3.5 adequately, and the 6 plants fit nicely in that square.

In the veg tent: All the clones have rooted. I accidentally uprooted the Soraya, but re-planted (it was covered in root bumps) so it should be fine. Also, I took 3 thin lower branches from the plant in flower as a failsafe.

I culled 3 American Skunk Selection x Afkansastan/X18, leaving me with 7 plants of the 10 I germinated, all topped now. Some of them smell strongly even at this early stage.
I culled 2 Triangle Kush x '88G13xHP/NL plants, leaving me with 1 plant from the 3 I germinated.
I culled 1 Acapulco Gold x Zipolite, and have the other 1 as cuts in water. The culled one was too tall and had zero smell. The survivor sorta smells like geraniums.
I culled 1 Whitaker Blues plant, it had no smell. I have the other plant, and a cutting, waiting on sex confirmation.
I started 7 I-95 x Stardawg F2 from @GrowHard, which are all up now.
I also started 7 Clusterfunk (JB Chem '91 cut x '88G13xHP/NL) F2 from Cabbagepaps on IG, originally Bodhi stock. Weā€™re fixing to have a chem party.
The 2 Sinai plants are growing well. They took a little longer, but are now growing quickly with short internodes. Really hoping for a nice female out of these. I have 8 more seeds but I doubt Iā€™ll find more than a 3-4 more plants to look through. I figure a lovely Sinai Hashplant x Christmas Bud IBL would make right about what Iā€™m looking for. I plan to have both a refined and a crude hashplant line, one being Landrace x Christmas Bud and one Modern Polyhybrid Broadleaf x Christmas Bud.

9 Likes

Holy Busy. Got a lot going on in there. Just as you start ramping up, Iā€™m slowing it down.

3 Likes

Crap photo but you get the idea. Day 17 of flower. Plants are forming crowns and buds. Now we play the waiting game. It is insane to me how much less the plants drink out here than when I was out in Colorado, where humidity doesnā€™t exist. I have raised the light maybe an inch since bloom began; was really expecting more stretch. Iā€™m tryna hit 2 units per light, as one does, but Iā€™ll be happy with 1.5 units. The Deathstar x Christmas Bud are the shortest plants. They essentially flowered in place. The TK x G13HP/NL stretched maybe 25%, and the Soraya about 25% as well. The canopy is remarkably even, slightly concave to maximize light.

In the veg tent, I accidentally killed an I-95 x Stardawg F2 seedling, and 1 of the Clusterfunk F2 seedlings sprouted so aggressively that it actually lifted itself OUT of the rockwool cube. Whole seedling just laying on top of the cube. Glad I caught it when I did but IDK if itā€™ll make it. Wish I had taken a picture. So, it looks like I have six I-95 x Stardawg F2 seedlings and six Clusterfunk F2 seedlings for the chem party.

The seven remaining American Skunk Selection x Afkansastan/X18 Pakistani absolutely reek, one in particular, #8. I have never had a veg plant smell that skunky. Cannavore told me itā€™s the real McCoy and to expect serious odor. Snag yourself a pack of those from Doc D, like yesterday. I am not sure if he has any more, but it was plenty reasonable at $40/shipped.

Iā€™m gonna flower out the last Whitaker Blues plant, so thereā€™s 5 spots to be filled. I imagine itā€™ll be 3 American Skunk Selection x Afkan/X18, 1 Sinai, and the remaining Triangle Kush x G13HP/NL if its a female.

I wanna germ more seeds but I donā€™t have the space. Such is my curse.

6 Likes