Vernal's Basement Follies

Yeah @vernal. I would like to put 2 of them in a 4X4 in 5 gal pots. Then it becomes a a matter of waiting them out. I believe it would be well worth the wait. Much love and respect…

:cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

The American Skunk Selection x Afkansastan/X18 are all doing well. Sturdy, but a bit lankier than I imagined. The Whitaker Blues turned out to be a male after all, and he was culled. It was replaced by Christmas Bud #6, the female. I am 95% sure the other two Christmas Bud plants are male, but I’ll know for sure in a few days as the clones are growing well now.

There are four I95xStardawg F2 “Night Rider” plants, one was weaker than the rest and the other had a crinkle leaf thing going on. The Clusterfunk (Chem’ 91 JB cut x 88G13HP/NL) are doing great, six of them vegging strong. I wanna cull a couple to free space up but they all look pretty nice. The weird one that pulled itself out of the cube lived.

The Sinai plants are doing well as well, leggier and more narrow leaved than I anticipated. They both smell nice. One is taller, the other shorter. They both have a lot of nodes and light, lime green leaves.

Some of the plants should be showing sex within the next couple weeks, which is great because I need the space.

We are at the end of day 26. Buds are beginning to stack. The TK x G13HP/NL plants are looking the most righteous so far. Pushing more frost, a bit less leafy, a bit more stretch to open things up. It’s early, but they smell like musty basement so far.

The Deathstar x Christmas Bud seem like they will take a bit longer to ripen. The Soraya looks like it’s gonna be a monster. Huge fluffy white pistils, big thick stalks. One branch is fasciated, the rest of the plant is fine. I’m sure these will all go 60-65 days or so. I am reasonably confident the branches will hold all the bud without assistance, everything’s pretty short and burly this round.

I have been feeding mostly Dyna Gro Grow Formula so far, only flowering supplement is my pH down (0-47-0) and a touch of silica. I’ll switch to flower formula maybe next week, Dyna Gro Grow Formula has pretty nice macros as a standalone, 7-9-5. With the pH down and the Silica it probably ends up around 7-12-5.5. Dyna Gro has just over a third the amount of potassium that my old product, the Maxi Series, but everything looks great. Guess it isn’t needed as much as I thought.

12 Likes

Dyna-Gro is the bees knees

4 Likes

Very interesting @vernal. Can you inform me regarding the addition of “pH down” to your formula?
Thanx in advance my friend.

2 Likes

The pH down I use is Cyco, 'cause it’s cheap and effective. It’s just phosphoric acid in water, nothing else. At the bottle concentration, it’s 0-47-0. I use 2.5-3.5mL per 5 gallons of nutrient solution, and I have hard, alkaline water. After nutrients are added, this takes me from 7.0 to like 6.2.

I wish Dyna-Gro pH down was still available, as it’s phosphoric acid and nitric acid, but I can’t find it anywhere.

General Hydroponics pH down has a bunch of citric acid in it, which is non-nutritive and much less pH stable than mineral acids

5 Likes

According to the MSDS, it is mostly phosphoric acid (10-30%), along with ammonium dihydrogenorthophosphate (5-10%) and citric acid (5-10%).

While citric acid is not a macro/micro nutrient, it is vital for cell respiration. This is called the Krebs Cycle. :+1::seedling:

8 Likes

Thanks Brother. Precisely the clarification I needed. All love bro!

2 Likes

While that may be true, you don’t want it in your nutrient solution. Bacteria love it, and it doesn’t hold a stable pH like mineral acids. Phosphoric, nitric, and sulfuric are best for hydroponics. You could use hydrochloric but I am not sure how long it stays that way in your working solution. Never tried it. Have tried phosphoric and sulfuric with great success.

Can citric acid be absorbed by roots? My understanding of Krebs cycle is limited. Tell me more!

6 Likes

Happy to help! I am merely a humble hobby grower/pollen chucker but I’ll gladly share anything I’ve learned along the way.

1 Like

This is what we use at work for ph down. Just have to cut it with water.

1 Like

Battery acid/sulfuric works nice…and it’s more sulfur for the plants.

I don’t now how they’d interact in solution, chemists please chime in, but I wish they sold a pH down with sulfuric, nitric, and phosphoric acid in it. Be a nice S, P, and N supplement.

1 Like

7 Likes

Looking good, keep it up bud! I enjoy watching you grow

2 Likes

34 days in. Everything’s chunking up nicely. The Triangle Kush x '88 G13HP/NL are still the favorites so far. Smells like Triangle Kush with a little less lemon-pinesol, more straight musty smell. It’s nice. The Deathstar x Christmas bud smell pleasantly fruity. About a month to go. No signs of herms or anything like that.

Veg tent is crowded again. Waiting on a friend to come scoop a 5 of the Clusterfunk F2 and I95 x Stardawg F2, the ones I’m less interested in keeping. This leaves me with the best 2/6 I95 x Stardawg F2 and the best 3 Clusterfunk F2. The Christmas Bud 11 is now a confirmed male, I’m very pleased. As soon as I can find the best female(s) I can start crossing and growing out the progeny. Everything on schedule.

14 Likes

41 days in. I’ll probably need to go for 70 days the way it’s looking, though I’m sure a few of the plants will be done by 65. The Triangle Kush x '88 G13HP/NL are both looking great. The Soraya is also looking pretty choice, has developed a skunky sweet cheese aroma. I’m going to be sprouting the rest of the pack along with a full pack of Cherry Hashplant when this flower cycle is over. I knew I’d love the Afkansastan crosses. The smaller Deathstar x '79 Christmas Bud in the center row smell completely outrageous, they are just too small to keep. It’s nice to see what the Christmas Bud males can do in crosses.

For the veg tent, I have narrowed down the next 6 plants for the upcoming flower cycle. These 6 will be much larger than the plants in the current round, but I’ll hack them to fit a 3.5x3.5 square. They’ll be larger plants with more developed root systems and larger frames, though, so the yield next round should be especially great.

The 6 selected for the next cycle are one '79 Christmas Bud IBL (the best looking female chosen from 11 seeds), one Triangle Kush x '88 G13HP/NL (different plant than the 2 I’m running now, looks more Triangle dominant), and four American Skunk Selection x Afkansastan/X18.

8 Likes

Impressive and inspirational! @vernal. I’m going to put some Zamdelica in 5 gal buckets and let em’ rip! Great Grow Bro. All love and respect…:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Oh heck yeah hempy buckets are great. They’re gonna be monsters in 5 gallons. I have some Zamaldelica myself, maybe next year I can get around to running them.

4 Likes

Triangle Kush x G13HP/NL at 48 days. 2 expressions, one a little frostier, one a little bigger.

24 Likes

Triangle Kush x '88 G13HP/NL at 54 days. Currently at 56 days, harvest at 63. Really really impressed by these, they make everything else in the tent look bad by comparison. I started the remaining 4 beans a week ago, they’re all up now.
Waiting on an order of bandaid haze from Doc D, they’ll be the next round of veg plants. One of the American Skunk Selection x Afkan/X18 and one of the new TK x '88 G13HP were actually male, so I substituted them for a Deathstar x Christmas Bud keeper cut and TK x G13HP “frosty cut”. They’ll be a bit small but the A.S.S. x Afkan plants are a little too big anyway so it should shake out. So this upcoming flower round we have 1 Christmas Bud, 1 TK x G13HP, 1 Deathstar x Christmas Bud, and 3 A.S.S. x Afkan/X18

19 Likes

Jesus they’ve gained some weight in a couple weeks :eyes:

3 Likes