Vertical hydro tower for clones

Anyone thought of or tried it? Like the kind you sometimes see people growing lettuce or strawberries in basically a pvc tower with cup holders and water flow kinda thing.

5 Likes

I’ve used it when I was in college for small leafy greens. You can grow large cannabis plants vertically even if you want but it becomes a serious issue of how to support the plant, but trellising works. Doing clones would be no problem. It’s basically the exact same concept as an aero cloner. Easy Diy is to take a bucket or other vertical column, drill holes in the column for plugs. Use a spade drill bit just barely smaller than your plug diameter. Take a smaller bucket, place a pump in it and run vinyl tubing to the top of the column. Cap it and punch holes for sprayers down the length of the tube. Take a piece of poly plastic and tape it like a funnel to catch your run off. Pvc pipe is good for this because it drills easily and comes in various sizes you use like sleeves.

My personal opinion, if you’re trying to maximize space for clones this is more difficult than it’s worth. I can fit at least 50 clones on a shelf vs building and managing these systems. Will it work for cannabis cloning, yes, is it practical or worth while, no probably no. Just my 2 cents, but happy to answer any questions you have on it.

1 Like

It was more a random thought than something I was gonna try (unless a bunch of people already were with success. I can keep decent sized moms in sollo cups- 1 gallon pots and my veg space is gonna be roughly 2x4 so at most I’ll just be putting in a shelf.

Yeah so vertical growing makes a little more sense if you understand the business around it and then why they only use it for leafy greens makes sense. A head of lettuce is worth maybe a dollar and lettuce grows less than a foot tall. Not a lot of return for the space it takes up. But if I take 5 heads of lettuce and stack them on top of each other, now we’re talking. Kind of like SOG but vertically. Most plants grow taller than a foot and take longer to mature than lettuce so really only leafy greens have a yield advantage for all the extra hassle.

If you need extra space for clones in your tent, you can Take a kitchen wire drying rack, flip it upside down and use zip ties to hold it to the top of your tent. You can use a clamp lights with a normal light bulb and that way you can use the space at the top of the tent. Used to work really well for me. Best of luck!

1 Like

I use a 32-spot cloner that holds plugs and only takes-up 20 squ. inches of space… easy to make-- just a small storage container with a lid, aquarium pump, air tubing and air stones… drill the holes for the plugs in the lid, and a small hole for the air-tubing…the most expensive part is the air-pump… I got mine for $12 at Walmart pet department… but can get better selection & deals at Amazon…

1 Like

ICMAG forum (sorry for the publicity) has a section dedicated to vertical grows. You can see a lot of exemples and a good thread about the distance between lamp and plants depending on your lamp

I did one and it was the funniest grow I did (plants everywhere !)

With the same power lamp, you produce more because the area you grow is bigger (even without reflector because light go 360 degrees

And you can keep 50 clones with a 250watts in

1 Like

In my old house (Before kids) I did it but basically just to get rooted and when a few inches and decent root growth I transplanted. Never used for FULL GROW. I had a nice mix of Tomato plants and Cannabis in it. I didn’t have the room for a full grow but I don’t see why it would not work if in the right spot.