Vertical growing in tents?

It seems to me that there should be more vertically grown(“wall”) SOG/SCROG setups in grow tents because of efficiency & LED light-spacing…but haven’t seen ANY. :confused: ?

For SOG/clones/LED it seems like a no-brainer. Or is it me? :smile:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

Also interested in this. One of my buds just set one up but too early for any feedback.

6 Likes

Me three :rofl: saw the dude on here doing his vertical bucket and he got great results from only 150W so interested but I no longer use HPS and the kind of light spread from a bulb centred couldn’t be matched by LED without a special kind of light rigging.

4 Likes

Neither of these is what I’d be doing (hydro & HID 'pacifically)

2 Likes

OMG that was In This Moment in the 2nd video :heart_eyes: love that artist

2 Likes

There is a guy on ICMag who did some vertical growing with LEDs. He is currently switching over to horizontal. The thing is, vertical growing is best done with HID bulbs because they spread light in a 360° angle.

I did some micro grows around a 150-watt CMH. Results were sort of meh. Replaced with horizontal LED and yields were way better.

It are you talking about stacked vertical grows? These are becoming popular with low profile LEDs, but not at a home growers level.

6 Likes

No-- more like the rockwool slabs pictured in the first youtube video; Trying to make efficient use of the given volume. :slight_smile:

Looking at my empty 5’x20"x8’ closet with last winters’ mold stains, (:unamused:) I can imagine “flipping” the thing on it’s back & have a 5’x8’ canopy instead of 2 or 3 shelves(3 would be pushing it because the closet doors’ opening is actually 6’.

I don’t want to build out the closet or do what I did before(make a mess), so a custom cabinet/tent with space for airflow around it, set in the closet seems workable. And tents seem lighter/easier to move around…

:thinking: :smoking:

whaddabout hanging strings of LED strips…mmm? :joy:

I haven’t invested in anything yet but am eager to get some beans popping soon. Thinking a combination of LED & lower wattage HID with minimal HID use(ie. 4hr cycles)… Hell, even the bestest of the HO Flouro’s seem appealing. The flourescent tube crowd still exists. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I was thinking of doing a stacked vertical grow, as I’ve got about 10’ of height to play with and about 5x9’ of area for growing. Id be using Solstrips for 1 level, and probably look at something cheaper for the rest of the lighting (led).

SOG and maybe try a flood and drain system is what I’m thinking. I just fear the cost of this will be a bit much lol Lots of research to do, and about 3months away from moving my grow room as right now it’s nice but using up a room I need to reclaim.

Think it’s worth the effort to give it a try?

3 Likes

Yes, I think its totally worth it. @Palindrome did something similar in his thread.

For the rest of the LED I would use the bridgelux strips. You can find more info in this thread.

3 Likes

Stacked LED is deffently worth it, as @ReikoX mention I got two closets with 3 cabinets in each.
They are so far working great, but still fiddeling with the air circulation/humidity.

From what I have seen a few mates do, with thouse 5$ bridgelux strips. Id say thats prolly then best watt per dollar deal, you will find atm for a DIY light.

2 Likes

I used this as inspiration, they got some videos as well and I was able to see what I needed to “addapt” it to fit my space.

https://www.ledsmagazine.com/horticultural-lighting/article/16700632/horticultural-led-system-brings-vertical-farming-to-biomass-crops-video

2 Likes

Check out Ttystikk’s setup. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m here if peeps want to ask questions?

4 Likes

No questions, but after reading through your vertical farming thread, I think I may just have to set up something similar on a smaller scale, 4 plant limit instead of your 12…
Thanks for the idea…

2 Likes

I would bet that vertical screen trellising would work well with the LED corn cob looking lights… or with strips mounted to each side of an aluminum square tubing.

You could have three walls of a decent sized square wire… one left open to access, or one built to swing open for access.

Would work well for folks limited by plant count. Also, you could have plants on shelves to fill the screen faster and make better use of the vertical…

2 Likes