Viparspectra xs1500 pro user feedback

My buddy just picked up 2 of these. I’ve heard good things about them.
I was hoping someone had tried putting 4 in a 4x4 and had some opinions.
I’m looking more seriously at them as an upgrade from qb spider farmers instead of a bar light.
Anyone had the 1500s AND bar lights to compare?
Would 4 in a 4x4 run much hotter than a bar lite?

8 Likes

Hey I’ve got the updated p2500 in my veg tent right now. Not exactly the same but similar. I keep it at 50% I’m pretty sure. I can double check, it may be at 75%, but pretty sure it’s 50. Anyway, I’ve got to keep it fairly far from my plants because it is pretty intense for my veg area. I’d think if you’re using something similar in flower it’d do really well. I will say I had some autos under it for a while that I moved and they did grow very very well and start flowering well. For a flower space I’d say they’d probably work alright. The p2500 puts off more heat than expected though. Way more. At 100% the veg tent sits at 80-83 depending on lung room. It’s in a 4x2 on its side

2 Likes

Huh. Never seen that done b4

1 Like

I like it. Works out like it’s 2x7 with 4ft height. I prefer to do it in a 4x4, but I had to use that for other stuff.

2 Likes

I ran 2 that they sent me to test in a 2x4 tent. They are on their second run now. They are a solid light and the plants did fine under them. If 2 are good in a 2x4 I would say 4 would be fine in a 4x4.

17 Likes

Nice bud Doug. I think I’m leaning this way. Seems like a more budget friendly way than any bar style lites that have interested me. Thanks for the feedback

2 Likes

I have one of these, great light for a tight space. I find it puts out more heat than my other 150W fixtures.

3 Likes

Yeah and they will certainly get the job done. Just daisy chain them together and you can control them all at once with one knob. They are not a bad choice at all.

2 Likes

I have three and I like them a lot, I might try four in a 4x4 but I’ve been flowering a 3x4 with them and that’s fine so far. My next flower run in the 4x4 about to start has been vegging under a single one set to max on 24/0 to maximize the DLIs, I’m about to add a second one and flip to 12/12, will pull them for my HLG 500 after stretch ends and use that through week 8/9 then swap back to the two XS1500 to finish @300w

I do agree with this, they run warmer than my HLG for the wattage

But for $75-80 apiece they’re doing me well getting a better setup with efficiency the same or better than my big QB panel 500w because the light distribution is so much better. Until I do what I’ve been saying and saw my R-Spec 550 in half to space the pairs of boards better, I’ll probably do these for everything but flowering the big tent through peak weeks

I get mine on Amazon with the regular $15 or better clickable coupon and code DRMJCOCOPRO

4 Likes

They look super nice. I was wondering about heat tho. 4 of them might be too hot. The manufacturer specs 2 for a 2x4 tent so I’ll see how hot they get in my pals new tent.

4 Likes

Mine are cranked up full blast in my 2x4 and I have not had any heat issues with them personally. Doesn’t mean others haven’t but it’s not an issue I encountered.

3 Likes

Shane at migro loves em. That’s what got me thinking

1 Like

They’ll be fine, I keep a single 6” fan blowing across the drivers of the two and they stay fine barely warm like that. Without airflow they do get almost uncomfortably warm at 100% but they’re clearly designed with minimal extra heat sinking surface area (no fins or other stuff) compared to some, and a lot of enclosure with the lenses. I don’t think they run particularly hotter as in less efficient though probably a bit, as a bargain light. They just don’t have great heat dissipation which is easily solved.

5 Likes

I bought 2 for my buddy. He just picked wm up. I gotta admit they look sexy. I had a hard time letting him take em

2 Likes

Viparspectra was going to send me the XS3000 to replace the 2 XS1500’s I got but it looks like they pushed back the release for some reason. I have seen them out there being tested on another site but nothing on their website yet. Although to be fair, they just look like 2 XS1500’s with 2 rods connecting them together. I was hesitant about the lens they put over the diodes but it really does seem to help spread the light and keeps dust and pollen off the diodes.

5 Likes

I’ve honestly thought of maybe using thermal transfer tape to attach a few fins of aluminum angle stock to the driver and light body and I bet it would run waaaaay cooler like the nice finned Slate 2 heatsinks from HLG.

2 Likes

Par tests don’t lie

3 Likes

I have 2 and so far like them quite a bit…especially at the price!

4 Likes

I know. You can’t beat it for the tech. Add a coupon code and it’s like stealing

3 Likes

My eyes either, I swapped one into my veg 2x4 to replace a single QB288 panel and the difference was really dramatic, like a spot vs flood bulb, and a flood with good TIR optics like a PAR bulb (shit, I really love PAR floods as vertical bare bulb lights, the lens means no hot spot on my eyes in the basement.

1 Like