Viparspectra xs1500 pro user feedback

HLG was going to introduce lensed QBs after rolling them out bare at first but never got around to it, the labor on individual lenses must have been prohibitive to still say “assembled in America” and Vipar managed to find similar lenses in panel form years later, underneath the lenses there’s nothing special going on except a modern red-enhanced LM301B panel halfway between a strip and a board:

Also worth mentioning, they’re definitely making revisions, I’ve bought three the exact same way each a few months apart, two are identical, but the third one now has a breakaway power cable setup, where instead of plugging into the driver directly, there’s a pigtail female lead coming off it, so hanging cables pop open when yanked instead of taking lights down. Nice touch!

3 Likes

@Dirt_Wizard my pal is a week into his first grow. He started cause someone gifted him a blurple and a 2x2 shorty. He started a double grape and I started nagging him to get a better lite. He got a healthy sprout above soil and caught the bug. Asked me to order him a new 2x4x6 and a light for it. He now has 2 xs1500 pro for his tent and still 1 lil lonely sprout.

3 Likes

Just Fyi… I found a ViparSpectra KS5000 for $269 from Amazon in Dec. It was a lightening deal. Haven’t seen since.

At your price, you have the benefits of 4 different heights, no drawbacks. Pretty sure you can remote the drivers too for less heat if required.

I have not heard one bad word about those units.

Go for it!

4 Likes

Haha what a great image!

Sounds like you’ve got a new growmie, congrats and I bet you’ll find some things for him to fill that tent with soon enough

2 Likes

Great I couldn’t find what diodes were on board anywhere. Good to know it’s Slamsung.

1 Like

My mistake but they’re LM281B+ not LM301B, so a lower efficiency older generation diode. I don’t plan to build my whole future grow setup around them because of the efficiency and spectrum deficiency vs the new LM301H EVOs which are already cheap, but they’re doing the job just great for now and should continue to for a long time hopefully, the format is so useful I don’t think I’ll regret them even with nicer lights in the future:

They don’t exactly make it easy but yes they do say it clearly now in the manual:

3 Likes

Oops missed it thumbing thru my buddy’s manual.

They’re still good diodes but you can see the numbers don’t get close to the newer ones,
165 lumens per watt vs up to 220-230

4 Likes

Oh well. I guess that means that the lenses really do alot of the work. That uniformity on the par map is bonkers.

2 Likes

I posted this in a similar thread but they run much hotter than a diff brand 150w 301b I have adjacent. Different drivers/diodes and the other has no lenses but very similar otherwise.

Would love to know what height you guys run these are for flower/veg @Dirt_Wizard @DougDawson @Hemlock @Gimme5minutes

2 Likes

Very good point.

I need to pull stats as you did but believe they pack more leds into the xs1500 to compensate this. The Par map is key - keep an eye on height any time parmap is shown.

The Ks5000 uses LM301h but is only 500w maybe higher efficiency but less diodes. As I said need to pull stats.

Quick look on ViparSpectra website shows they are now using LM301B on XS1500 upgraded 2023. Maybe something to verify before purchase.

https://www.viparspectra.com/products/viparspectra-2023-design-xs1500-pro-led-grow-light

1 Like

I have a few of these, not 4 in a 4x4… YET!! They have to be the best bang for the buck light right now.
One weird thing, the XS2500 is basically two XS1500’s tied together by bars. Yet it only has a 250W power supply, while the XS1500 has a 150W supply EACH!!
I don’t like that at all, something is up with that.

2 Likes

Looking at their website is a little confusing. Seems they have XS2500 pro and XS2500 Pro Series.

Pro = Bar in between. Pro series all in one. Even stranger is how they have things labeled at top of website.

4 Likes

Mines a vivosun nm.

2 Likes

Either way. Do your homework, you’re buying for the long haul.
Know your stats and what they represent. You will be a better grower for it.
PAR map is 100% correct for my KS 5000 compared to website.

3 Likes

Its nice to see so many people using the same light !

Im running a single xs1500 in a 2x2x3 , my plants flipping love it.

6 Likes

I run mine right at the top of a 2x4. The 2x4 is only 5 feet tall so distance depends on plant height. While the diodes may not be as efficient as the 301 b or 301 h, they still do the job just fine. I asked my plants if they were fine with the diodes, but the just sat there and didn’t answer, lol.

2 Likes

What’s the model you gave me @DougDawson ? Just curious as I forgot, works pretty great for an older model, zero complaints

2 Likes

I’m running a 4x8 tent. I have a Medic Grow Fold 8 centered with 2 of the XS 1500 pro covering one of the 2x4 sides, thats left open.
I have some older Bestva on the other side. I usuallgrow 6 to 8 different strains, so its nice having the option to adjust the hanging height, on any plants in those 2 corners. It has been great being able to dial in my par levels, for each plant. They definitely help make the tent more versatile.

2 Likes

That was the XS2000 I gave you bud.

1 Like