Virginia Is For Lovers

Hi @ix3u. I’d be interested, but I grow in soil. Is it wise to use those types of nutrients in soil?

1 Like

Hi @Gravitys-Rainbow!

2 Likes

I used them through my first and 2nd grows. You just mix them into the water before watering the plants.

2 Likes

Well you’re more than welcome to them! If you decide you want them, just let me know and we can work something out!

2 Likes

Went outside to start getting my outdoor grow area prepped. Had thrown four seasons of octo soil in a area I had marked out in April. Well apparently the garden has started with out me… Don’t know where it came from. The only thing I can think is a root ball cloned back up. If it was a seed producing plant I would have found them in buds… I don’t think it is a phreaky dream produced seed from 2022. I would have more that one plant popping up if they were in the soil. Found it interesting for sure. I have named her Miraculum.

GR

12 Likes

I sent you a DM

1 Like

You’re off to a great start!

2 Likes

She (or possibly he, if not from a clone) has a strong will to live! I’d count that as a good omen.

6 Likes

Hey everybody. Does anybody here do subsistence gardening to feed themselves?

5 Likes

That’s a strong word, but we raise about half of our groceries, nearly all in the summer/ fall

7 Likes

@Hashpants has a pretty big garden and is a very good grower/gardner. I used to do a couple raised beds of veggies every year but just don’t have the energy for it now.

6 Likes

Nice nice. @AppalachianBiscuits half would be good. I’m having a problem with voles. There’s gotta be a million of them in my yard. I’ve been dropping pellets to push them out, but they don’t seem to care and are wreaking havoc on the garden. I’ve also got traps set up around their holes but they aren’t taking the bait on those either.

3 Likes

Do you raised bed garden? If you lay hardware cloth down and fence on top, it helps those burrowing critters. I haven’t fussed with voles. We have chickens and they will EAT a mouse or vole

5 Likes

We had a bad problem with voles and moles. They were around because of insect larvae in the soil, namely grubs. I put milky spore powder down and used spring loaded traps that spear them when they trip a pressure plate you place above their tunnels. I tried the poison peanut things placed in the tunnels but getting rid of the grubs with the milky spore stuff seemed to work the best. My barn cats used to feast on those guys when we had them bad.

5 Likes

Interesting. I have been plucking grubs out while digging around. Maybe that’s what attracts to the yard in the first place.

@AppalachianBiscuits we have several raised beds with hardware cloth down. These little rat bastards have found the chink in our hardware cloth armor. And you talking about chainlink fence over the top of the bed?

4 Likes

We also have a feeding station that keeps both the squirrels and bunny’s occupied and out of everything else.

4 Likes

We don’t buy tomatoes at least. Or herbs. :stuck_out_tongue:

You gotta get the gopher wire or whatever. Metal, small gaps.

No, silly, underneath! :laughing: so they cant burrow under and eat your roots

6 Likes

Not chain link over the top, but around. It’s marketed to exclude rabbits, the bottom squares are smaller than the top

I will put light weight welded wire fence over the top to keep cats from shitting in my seedlings. Or chickens that escape from dirt bathing in baby plants

4 Likes

I should’ve let you field that one, lol. Woops

3 Likes

Haha. Right right. All of our beds have hardware cloth under them. I was confused about fencing up top.

1 Like