Vortex from SubCool’s The Dank

The runs should be separate. Run the GB alone, run the F1s alone and if possible the F2 from @CADMAN.

I would hesitate to run the GBs and the F1s together in open pollination.

It might be a smooth ride if we could obtain some space dude pollen from Norstar to pollinate @CADMANs F2s.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

5 Likes

@Kabuddha Short answer: no. That’s way more complicated than I have the space or willingness to do. Everything’s getting mixed up, that’s my plan. I don’t think Norstar is going to give me pollen from a rare breeding male that he said he thinks MzJill has the right to keep using, which is why he’s clearing out the Space Dude crosses. It’s gonna be great, don’t overthink it.

11 Likes

However you choose to do it will be A -OK with me. Haha like you said, no need to over complicate.

5 Likes

You are sure that you would like to get in the same way F3 (F2HF2), which is quite far from F1 and two different variants of IX (F1 x F2) (F2 x F1), which will be the best for F1, as well as the usual F2.
Between F3 and IX there will be a genetic gap and you will not know what nut in what direction goes … It will not be variation (gene pool) of one variety, but in fact different varieties!
That is, it will not be Vortex, but a variety of Vortex native varying degrees of affinity (in the case of mixing - even an unknown degree of affinity).
Of course, the decision is, but whether you pursue this goal by doing this jog?

6 Likes

This is a good point, and I think if enough F1 come up male (I think three) then I would definitely consider culling all F2 males from the grow, to eliminate the possibility of F3 and keep everything F2. But if there is only one or two F1 males then I will probably include at least one F2 or all at that point, we will see down the road.

8 Likes

This is a good point :+1:, and I am confident there will be at least 3 f1 males. Maybe I should have clarified when I said they should be run separate.

What I really meant was that the seeds from the pollination should be kept separate until the viability of the F2 has been determined. If the F2 moms aren’t what we are looking for, we don’t have to include the seeds in the official run.

3 Likes

As a side note…has anyone who grew out Vortex seen any blue hues in the resin?

I didn’t see any when I grew them, but I’ve heard Apollo can have some blueish hues in the resin.

2 Likes

No… I remember specifically Subcool saying it was red bubble hash on Breedbay that he made from the copious amounts of resin. I think you’ve got your colors confused. He did a whole thread on it years ago. Apollo 13 is known for its red colored resin.

3 Likes

apollo 13 bx made a red bubble hash. it was my favorite strain to grow although it was small and viny structure. it had the best terps and the high was out of this world

3 Likes

I agree it was amazing but somehow along the way I think the Vortex dad changed. I was a member of #theweednerd IRC chat years ago… Subcool and a bunch of other TGA fans were in there and I remembered someone telling me that… I had some of the newer generation TGA A13BX seeds and the results were super lackluster and nowhere near as good as the original ones. Terps were different. Plants still had Apolllo spear like structure but the smell/taste of the buds were nowhere near as good as the original. Idk how to describe it but it smelled less fruity, less funky… just not the same as the original seeds.

4 Likes

Ok, seeds from @CADMAN just got here, which is the last piece of the genetics collecting for this run. I’m going to post up in the coop voting thread later today to get the final approval:

18 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by viability of the F2 moms, I don’t think that a seeded run is going to necessarily be the best way to see what the potential of the mothers is. I will probably keep the seeds separated at shucking just because I tend to work that way, and I could see maybe packaging the F1 mom seeds and F2 mom seeds separately, but that would have to be discussed with the coop group, I’m not sure if that’s really an option with the way they’re distributed. I’d be asking them to pack and ship at least twice as many pucks, which could be ok, IDK.

3 Likes

my apollo 13 bx was from a seed pack i bought in 2011. It was amazing and all my friends remember that strain the most vividly and wish i still had it. the high was ridiculous. brought you to outer space. clear thinking zippy but still stoned. true 1 or 2 hit weed,

3 Likes

Bro let him do this his way, Your not doing this!!! Stop polluting the thread please

5 Likes

Since this is his OP, I don’t really feel one way or other about it, but I am absolutely getting my general advice on this from the donators, coop group and the Freakers etc. Not someone who has made some, uh, “interesting” statements about genetics, free power, etc. This particular suggestion actually makes some sense to me, so I’ll consider it.

5 Likes

Personally I would prefer to see an F2 of the F1s for the Co-op. Then if you wanted to take the F2s to F3 you only keep the females and pollinate with the F1 males and keep the F3’s seperate. What do you think of that?

7 Likes

This right here :point_up:, but we do only have 9 f1’s, and 5 of them are like 17 years old, hopefully we get a few boys from them. From what I have read the Vortex puts out a higher than average amount of females though… so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

5 Likes

I read that and get it. Just can’t do a Co-op vote on a maybe if that makes sense. There are some concerned with not knowing how the F2’s were produced. Were they selective or open pollinated. How small a group was used etc. I mean if the grower selected say 1 male and one female they liked and produced F2’s the genetics would be severely limited. Just throwing out a concern that I have heard from a few is all.

7 Likes

@DougDawson @coopactiongroup The F2s from @CADMAN are a mystery, we know a little more about the GB F2s, they are two studs on fourteen moms:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Car3yYPrtqb/?igshid=NDc0ODY0MjQ=

3 Likes

So I guess I would say we have selected F2s, towards traits I find agreeable, I don’t know that everyone will. And that they are made up of a good broad base of genetics with sixteen total F1 parents. I feel like with only a single generation of selection, and that many parents, we’ll still get plenty of genetic expressions from the results. My strong preference is to use only F1 males in this reproduction, I just don’t want to commit to that and then have say one or two males. Maybe two is enough? With just F1 males we’d have all F2 seeds resulting, even with F2 moms, based on my (extremely amateur) reading of genetics.

8 Likes