Welcome to Meesh's Garden

and now if you could just figger out where da catnip went?!

4 Likes

Nice thread @Meesh! I havenā€™t been able to keep up as it all progressed but I am drooling over here from the pacific northwest!

I am one of the random guys who loves to grow a vegetable garden and herbs etc! I have built 3 raised garden beds in my back yard and also have an in ground garden plot (that I think I should get a soil test for because it seems pretty lacking, even though I am always mixing in compost, manure, etc.)

Your thread has me thinking about getting some bulbs for the spring time as I always seem to slack off in that department and look back going well what the hell was I thinking lol I never got bulbs and then it isnā€™t prime planting season anymore!!

It was like 40F here yesterday, feeling like spring almost, and now I wake up to more fresh snow. boooo

5 Likes

me tooā€¦ :disappointed:

5 Likes

@twistedinfinity I love my soil lab! Its worth every penny! I got all of my amendments directly from them all measured out. No boxes and boxes of random rocks and such sitting in the garage for 15 years because I only needed a quarter cup for an entire acre or something. They also sent all of the liquids I needed for the yearā€¦ liquid fish, cal/mag etcā€¦per the test! Takes out all the guesswork and after a few years you will have super soil!!

As far as bulbs go, I love them! All of my favorite flowers are bulbs so I go a bit crazy. Unfortunately, most of my yard is full of bulbs and have very few foliage plants at all. Makes for a pretty stark garden come winter here. Since you love to garden, go for it! Youā€™d have to check if you need to pull them up every year where you live through winter, but a lot will overwinter. Personally, Iā€™d go for some lilies for summer, I think they are the best although my gladiolas were a serious focal point of my garden last year. They were so showy and gorgeous! lol

5 Likes

@Calyxander well my Angelonia didnā€™t quite make it through the winter to my dismay. I chopped it all the way to the dirt. Gonna throw it out next to a naked pot that held Celosia and see if spring or summer brings them both back to life.

4 Likes

@Meesh That sounds awesome. I have been looking into who buildasoil recommends for soil testing or looking for a closer alternative as well. I am in the exact scenario you mention with 5 gallon buckets of a ton of amendments sitting in my garage lmfao. Crustacion meal, glacial rock dust, neem seed powder etc etc lolā€¦ I have actually been adding it slowly to my raised beds just to try to keep nutrition healthy for the veggies and have sprinkled it and mixed it in where I plant in my actual garden plot as well, and I do grow stuff there, just nothing like the raised beds or even close for whatever reasonā€¦

I know it can have to do with the beds warming better, draining better, and moreā€¦ but still think I will try to get maybe 4 areas of the garden tested separately to see how the variance is in the plot.

I am in zone 5b hereā€¦ would prefer to not give myself too much work and mostly plant things that will survive the winter and come back. If I plant in the front yard I also have to be weary of deer walking through and munching on whatever they get their teeth sunk into, unlike the back yard.

5 Likes

I cut mine back only to roughly 1/2. Iā€™ll be interested to see if yours come back to flower.
Coincidentally, I just received my recent Park seeds order, gonna try the white Angelonia for the first time.

4 Likes

@Calyxander I just received their newest color Angelonia called rose I believe. I think these seeds I will start in late spring. They seem to like it hotter outside. You still have like 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s right? The ones I just cut back were white. They were gorgeous! Happy growing! Get any other exciting seeds in your order?

3 Likes

So, just something I need to get off my chest. My boyfriendā€™s sister. sigh. She never waters her damn succulents! Mind you I donā€™t grow a lot of them as for the most part they are not my thing. I realize they are drought tolerant plants and all that, but you donā€™t have to starve them when itā€™s not a drought! My succulents have these bright colored, fat and juicy leaves. I mean you can tell they are healthy and full of water. Hers grow, but the leaves are always sucked up, like the plant is eating itself. It honestly hurts me to look at them though. Every damn time I go over there, I want to water all of her damn plants! Drives me crazy! Maybe I am crazy and the suckers do better with no water, but Iā€™m telling ya, mine look happier fully watered. Okay! Rant over!

7 Likes

Haha! In my best Simpsons imitation

3 Likes

Everyone I know that has deer think they are the biggest pests and nuisances! lol If I had deer I would grow them their own patch of plants to eat. Even go as far as to separate or fence off a spot just for them. I love them! Probably wouldnā€™t if I caught them eating all of my fancy flowers though

6 Likes

I had a large bull Elk come through my back yard the other night. I didnā€™t see him but a neighbor said there was one hanging around behind the houses. I found two major poop piles and could track his whole trek in and out of my yard. He just jumps the fences. Theyā€™re almost the size of a horse.

I wish I had a game camera set up. I get a lot of wildlife where I live.

5 Likes

Get some leaf springs from that old truck in your lot :laughing: & build a betterā€¦ ā€¦moose-trap! :joy: :joy: :joy:

:coffin:ā€¦

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I think I would be scared shitless of elk, moose or bears! They can move right along. Best viewed from afar! Bambi I can handle!

3 Likes

I used to do that. I called it ā€œThe Shooting Groundā€ :smiling_imp:

(There really needs to be a evil laughing emoji)

4 Likes

Oh hell no! If I had to kill my own animals for food, Iā€™d be a vegetarian. I think the only way I could harm an animal would be in self defense. No Hunting Here! WAYYYY too much of an animal lover.

4 Likes

Bambi looks delicious :yum:

11 Likes

I am not certain why I love to get seeds in the mail.
I feel a little surge of adrenaline when I hear the Mailman, anticipating
new seeds to gaze upon.

This year I am going bonkers for begonias.
Begonia Viking XL- red on chocolate.
Begonia Tophat- rose bicolor
Begonia Pizzazz- white
Begonia Funky- scarlet

Also, glad to be back home where I will not have the
frustration with zinnias I experienced in SC (zone 8).
So, got some new zinnias to try out.
Zinnia Envy
Zinnia Peppermint Stick
Zinnia Hidden Dragon

Another new variety of Marigolds-Marigold Flamenco.

We had one brief cold snap so far this season, mid 40s overnight-brrrrrr (couple weeks ago)
But, back to normal -high today of 78 low 67 overnight,

4 Likes

You donā€™t get major pm on your zinnias in Florida? I would think the humidity would get them! It took out mine

3 Likes

Almost never see any down here. The NE was much worse, particularly on cannabis.
SC was impossible to control/contain PM on zinnias, but no problem on cannabis.

4 Likes