🎧 What Are You Listening To? (Part 5)

4 Likes

A tribute band for the jazz genius of Bix Beiderbecke.

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Used to listen to Piano Red in Atlanta in WAOK. He always played a little of this tune. Another of his tunes “If I ain’t got what it takes, I ain’t fattnin no frogs for snakes” WAOK was the only black radio station I ever heard and it was the most fun station i ever heard. All the black musicians records were played. They had a religious show with a pastor playing gospel and anther DJ would make fun of him accuse him of kinds of mischeif. They’d argue and laugh. For a while middle class boy from Boston, it was new and invigorating and lots of good music everything from Sam Cook, Jackie Wilson, Isley brothers and on. The station was owned by a white guy from Boston whose on air name was “Daddy Sears.” I always thought he was black until I met his son at my school. He and I and another friend would put our sport coats on with a tie and go to the Royal Peacock Dinner club at Five Points when we were 16 years old. We were the only white people in the club, but they protected us because we were with Daddy Sears son. Fun Times.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Oh man, I would have loved that station, getting to hear Red play live on the radio!

Having grown up in L.A. in a somewhat magical musical period myself, starting out in 1966 it was the The Mighty 1090, fifty thousand watts of soul power baby, for me. It was Wolfman Jack on XERB! (Then, the following year I was thrown out of the Los Angeles School District, that was 120 high schools at the time, cuz, well, I had 3 1/2 joints in my pocket and I was outta control! HA! No kidding. I was shipped off to live with one of my sisters in Canada, and that was pretty much the end of my listening to Jack. There are a few of his later shows available to listen to on the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine.)

No kidding, my friend, those were some fun times, and it will never be like that again.

2 Likes
3 Likes

1 Like
1 Like

One of the founding members of Electric Flag! Thanks for posting @Calyxander

2 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes