What do stoners eat? šŸ“ (Part 1)

Another bachelor meal for the week, should get 3 nights out of this

Thai yellow curry with Tofu and Bok choy(not pictured is steamed rice)

16 Likes

Niiiice! Thereā€™s always way more stoners at a burger joint rather then at the SHANGHAINESE restaurant lol :joy:

2 Likes

I love these! I had some left over and decided to do the same, just oil and salt and they are as addicting as popcorn!

1 Like

Thereā€™s a great food court near me. Itā€™s dangerous though. Want Shanghai? Done. Roast pork? Done. Singapore lahksa? Done. ā€œCanadian Chinese food?ā€ Nope, not happening.

Itā€™s an easy and delicious way to spend a million dollars. Order one dish from each place.

And dim sum at 3am is hopping. At least it was precovid.

4 Likes

@Foreigner that reminds me of the time I went to Pacific Mall.

2 Likes

Iā€™m taking about first markham place but pacific mall is a very close second. Thereā€™s a guy there who pulls noodles by hand. You can hear him slapping them on the counter halfway across the mall.

2 Likes

You see that all around here. The Bay Area is the staple for food in general I feel especially Asian food. My go to AMERICAN Chinese restaurant is called Handpull Noodle. But the best noodle around here is the GLASS NOODLE. :fire:

3 Likes

One has the choice.

It depends on the mood. If I had to choose right now it would be a mee goreng and maybe a rendang.

Shit thereā€™s a place around the corner that does only tofu dishes and their ma po is delicious and will burn your face off.

Even grocery stores make decent dim sum.

And stupid me ate a kielbasa sandwich for lunch :joy:

Edit - and Iā€™d have a halo halo for dessert because itā€™s so hot.

3 Likes

I miss the Vegan Thai place on Danforth near Greenland. Run by a family and the elder gent always suckers you into getting their pumpkin soupā€¦ which was sooo good it wasnā€™t a hard sell.

Being allergic to fish and not eating shellfish there is so much great food I canā€™t try in the city but this place made glass noodles with tofu ā€œshrimpā€ and other such fixings so good Iā€™d get 2 orders to make sure I had it around for a few daysā€¦ maybe.

Best part was there was a Halifax Donair joint a few shops down the street so I could order a Donair, go pickup tomorrows Thai food, and eat the Donair that night :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only been here once but it was a very good experience.

Rastafarian vegan food. Very tasty.

A hop skip and a jump

I said ā€œI donā€™t know what to order could you just do me a selection?ā€ And they gave me a bit of everything.

3 Likes

Now weā€™re talking. What do you know about Masakan Padang, temanku?

2 Likes

Not too much really. Thereā€™s some overlap but in a different lifetime I was married into a Malay/Chinese/Philippine family.

A quick google reminds me of nasi lemak, fermented shrimp beans, and various curries/coconut stuff.

Man I love those little fried anchovies.

I think mee goreng might be Indonesian/have an analogue.

:call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Yes, sir. Rendang is also from the Padang region of Sumatra, Indo. Youā€™re a savvy guy mentioning nasi lemak. Lots of crossover between Malay and Indo culture, cuisine, and lexicon. If you ever find yourself in that part of the world, a meal at a Masakan Padang is a must. Just think of a buffet, but all ethnic cuisine and CHEAPāœŒšŸ»

2 Likes

Cheers man it sounds great. I expect I would try a few dishes and go ā€œI know exactly what this is.ā€

Mrs Foreigner almost married a guy from Singapore so we both share a love for the cuisine.

I used to get enlisted to make hundreds of lumpia for gatherings. Never did get the hang of it and they were all ugly :rofl:

Weā€™re spoiled for food in this city. Not just reasonable facsimiles of food but actual great stuff. Except Jamaican patties. Iā€™ve never had a good one outside of Jamaica.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard great things about the culinary offerings of Toronto and Vancouver (I think I remember seeing youā€™re from the former). Thatā€™s always a perk of a quality location imo. If you love food, and a vast array of cuisine, it helps to have options. Weā€™re blessed here to have incredible Vietnamese and Ethiopian due to the large number of immigrants. Drive a couple hours west and you canā€™t find either.

Singapore has amazing food also. Not just local, but slamming Indian, Arab, Thai, Malay, and the list goes on. One of my favorite places in the world.

Dude, cheers to you for even stepping up to make lumpia in masses. Those of us that donā€™t have Filipino hands canā€™t roll them as quickly or uniform. Always A+ for effort though.

2 Likes

We are very lucky in Toronto. In Vancouver I had sushi from a convenience store that might just be the best sushi Iā€™ve ever eaten. From a convenience store!

Vietnamese is good too and there are lots of Korean places popping up that are great.

We are spoiled for choice. Like thereā€™s the Malay place that is good and the Malay place that used to be good.

Iā€™ve spent time in the southern US and Central America so every once in awhile I want to eat their food too. Thereā€™s a Salvadoran place that is authentic, cheap, and exactly what I was looking for. I have high/impossible expectations so itā€™s nice when they are met.

My parents used to force me to eat ā€œweirdā€ food when I was very young so my palate has always been open to new things.

Iā€™ve got Sichuan peppercorns in my pantry. Itā€™s the only anesthetic food I know. It hides the heat of peppers so you can eat more :rofl:

Cheers man - I could fry them no problem but the roll/tuck, no go. I would eat them as fast as I could make them and thatā€™s a no no :+1:

3 Likes

Stoner quick curry

Late 60s. Did 3yrs in Japan - military dependent. Thats where I learned to luv curry

7 Likes

Baked buttermilk chicken breast, butter cheese cream pasta, tomato cucumber salad.

Simple and fatty. The salad is a trick

12 Likes

Chicken and chorizo from the local Mexican restaurant.

15 Likes

For the total stonerā€¦
Try DIY Mac & cheese curry.

Regular Mac & cheese and a big spoonful of your favorite Patakā€™s (mine is Madras) curry.
Oddly great!

Cheers
G

5 Likes