What do you do with your used soil?

I normally circulate the soil
the soil I just cleaned out of the bags will stay in a 50 gal trash can till next grow then I’ll switch It with what I just mixed today
I only do this no more then 3 x’s then I’ll start over
I also use it for a base for my moms soil but I’ll mix in amendments

8 Likes

I throw it in my compost to recharge when there’s room if not I throw it in either my veggie patch or one of my flower beds.

9 Likes

I’m not using fancy soil or organically yet. I bought a bag of garden soil at Walmart and my used soil gets tossed in the backyard. When I learn more. I will then try to save up for organic soils to try and grow in.

6 Likes

Just did some trimming today so now it gives back.

9 Likes

I always cut my stems into small 1" chunks and grind my leaves then soak them in 190 proof Everclear to make a tincture. Then make something out of it. Here is the latest. Gummies!
Yellow = 1 dose
Orange = 2 doses
Green = 3 doses

21 Likes

That’s a good idea to color code them by potency… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks.
I took an Orange one last night. I was messed up. Today I felt like I used to, the day after an acid trip. LOL I’m scared of the green ones. I have no clue of the potency. I just kept using the same alcohol to rinse more weed.

10 Likes

Buzz has twice Woody’s kick.

8 Likes

Like most I recycle n reamend. Twigs turned to tinder.

1 Like

The method your friend told you about is called “no till” gardening.

Simply remove the old stump by cutting it out with hand pruners, a spade or whatever you have handy and put a new plant in its place. Don’t pull it out, cut it out… you want to leave the soil as undisturbed as possible and don’t worry about the previous plants roots, they will decompose and feed the plant.

I always reuse my grow medium and add perlite for better drainage, soil aeration, and to keep soil compaction to a minimum A few good flushes of the medium washes out all spent and unspent nutrients and salts that may have gathered in the rhizosphere of the medium.
Flush it too much and you’ll likely lose most of your beneficial microorganisms… and that’s no bueno!

Even though it’s called “soil-less medium” it has a small organic NPK benefit, due to the medium constantly breaking down into smaller particles by continously decomposing. The base that makes up most soil-less mediums is composted forest products, aka, ground up and decomposed twigs, branches, bark, ect. Good stuff, if you’re a plant.

10 Likes

I never reuse soil.
I put it in a compose pile,i have 2 continuously going, add green material,food scraps,(no meats),leaves ,chicken manure and other waste to include cannabis material not used…
I then put it on my yard, landscape beds etc…
I also let my neighbor get it fot her flower beds…lol

6 Likes

after mixing all of this up, how long would it need to sit and rejuvenate, or is it ready to reuse as soon as it is mixed up? if you happen to know?

regards,

mike28086

1 Like

My raised vegetable garden beds usually start with a ratio of 1 part Coco, 1 part horse manure compost, 1/2 part vermiculite and 1/2 part perlite. I take the used coco from indoor grows, mix with compost, and dress the raised beds with it, or I rejuvenate the indoor mix depending upon what I need. All stems and trimmings go into the worm bin. This includes any material that has already been sifted for kif/hashish.

3 Likes

This just adds the micro nutrients back into the soil. I believe the earthworm castings also adds some beneficial organisms to help make the nutes readily available to the plants. As far as I know it is usable right away. That’s how I will be using it.

2 Likes

As far as I’m concerned, composting it is reusing it in the best way possible!

3 Likes

I admit, I am the worst when it comes to turning my compost. My 80 gallon tumblers should have produced so much compost by now! I get it half way then forget about it and have to get it started again. Told myself, I am going to tape a big note on my back door saying “turn your compost, dumb ass”. Dammit! I will have 80 gallons by spring if it kills me. lol

4 Likes

Rig up a geared down solar powered motor on it. It would slowly just keep turning. :grin:

4 Likes

Okay MacGyver! Rig me up some. I need two please, my composter has 2 tumblers. :laughing:

2 Likes

"The method your friend told you about is called “no till” gardening.

Simply remove the old stump by cutting it out with hand pruners, a spade or whatever you have handy and put a new plant in its place. Don’t pull it out, cut it out… you want to leave the soil as undisturbed as possible and don’t worry about the previous plants roots, they will decompose and feed the plant."

This is my preferred style of gardening. I core out the stalk while disturbing as little soil as possible, dump in a handful of worm castings mixed with rock dust, mulch the pot heavily with trim/leaf waste, then let it sit fallow for 4-6 weeks. Important not to let it dry out at all, maintian an even soil moisture throughout.

And yeah, just plug the next transplant right in there and it’s off.

5 Likes

I’ve been following this guy for about two-three years now. His chicken composting system is unlike any other. He generates 300 gallons of finished compost a week, while feeding 60+ chickens for 25 cents a day, all while harvesting the eggs for consumption and sale.

6 Likes