What do you do with your used soil?

Haha somebody already did it. Kind of cool.

3 Likes

Mine goes in the raised beds and gets amended.
Use to recycle but too big a pain in the keester.
Having to keep bulk bags of nutes around, just something more for eyes to see.
Plastic swimming pools, no Thank you

3 Likes

@PoppaPuff

Lol

I have lava rocks glistening in the lawn.

4 Likes

What do I do with my used soil? It’s simple: Every day I bring it out to the yard, a handful at a time, and shimmy it down my pants leg, discretely knock it around a bit to blend in with the ground. I swear I’m gonna get out of here, Ellis.

A man’ll do most anything to keep his mind occupied.

10 Likes

Hahahaha well done. Made me chuckle. :joy::joy:

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I use! It’s called the Three Little Birds Method and I originally found it posted on Rollitup years ago. I use this recipe to recharge my soil each round. Make sure to have enough that you can let it sit for a couple months and cook.

3 Likes

I’ve heard of guys that water their pots with a res full of black food coloring after each grow. Then when they dump their perlite-overloaded media into their front yards, no one notices a billion white “I’m a weed grower” beacons.

2 Likes

I re-use mine over and over. Been recycling it for many years.i have a large tub, 300 gallon plus that I keep my soil in and I pull the stem out, breaking lots of roots off and put it right in tub. I fill pots for the next grow usually a couple weeks before.
I’m just a poor country boy and usually don’t spend much on soils. I do try and buy good soil every year for a single grow then mix it right in. I compost a lot, use several manures(horse, chicken, rabbit, sheep) lime, live worms and casting. And add whatever I think will improve my soil. I can’t wait to do a grow and post pictures now that I won’t go to jail for it and show what can be done…low budget

9 Likes

Hahah that is awesome!

2 Likes

I put it here.

And out here.

And there’s a heaping kiddie pool full under here.

4 Likes

I keep so many other plants in the front yard, flowers and veggies etc that any soil and or nutrients I’m toting around my yard dont stand out much. Also I’m in california and we are allowed six personal outside under the right conditions so it’s more to avoid the attention of thieves and my tweaker neighbors plus I love plants of all types and have a slight addiction to hoarding them.

5 Likes

Only questions I get are why are your plants so healthy :joy:

15 Likes

Oh those lilies are to die for! Are they Orientals? I cant seem to get enough of the really smelly ones! Just keep planting bulbs all over my yard. Also, how many years did it take to get that many blooms? Just curious as all of mine are pretty new, so I only get one or two per stem.

1 Like

Actual soil goes into the compost bin to get re amended to re use in flower beds or for garden plants. Idk about the Coco I’m using in my first indoor Ive been reading that you can reuse it right away so I most likely will give that a try for my second round then off to the bin with it.

1 Like

They are oriental stargazers and are on there third year in that container. I have alot of flowers they realy like the used garden soil and I feed them bulb food in the spring right before they wake up

2 Likes

Great to hear! I just covered all my beds with a bunch of used soil. I already have bulbs popping but I’ll feed them before they flower in the late winter/spring as well. I’m hoping a few have multiplied. Just remembering that my tuberose went crazy like that the 3rd year as well. So a few more years on my lilies to go.

2 Likes

I use it in the garden here its really alkaline out there the peat helps. plus its heavy clay.

1 Like

I re-constitute it. I’ll use peat moss, coir, perlite, vermiculite, a very few fine wood chips, humus/compost, guano, (I used to use blood and bone meal, but have since stopped), and worm castings and mix it with all the old soil. Sometimes, if I suspect that the bacterial balance of the old soil got out of whack toward the end of the grow, through maybe overwatering or not enough airflow, then I’ll pasteurize the old soil and kill some of the microbes and then build up a new microbiome in the re-constituted mix. If I suspect a soil borne pathogen, I might sterilize the soil–it depends on how poor I am and how much free time I have. Sterilization is a lot of work. I like using 15-20 gallon containers indoors. I also like my soil to be super, ultra premium. I am obsessed with soil. I love to explore it with my senses as I mix it–touch, smell, taste. You can taste and smell when it’s right, as crazy as that sounds. Soil for one run for me can easily cost 300-400, sometimes quite a bit more. I can’t afford not to re-use soil.

I prefer to make my own, but I can barely work and mix in these quantities. There’s no reason not to re-use soil. Soil composition doesn’t change in any substantial way after a grow. I even like to leave the old roots in the soil–it’s just more organic matter to decay and provide nutrients. Controlling and optimizing the microbial balance, pH, and optimizing the nutrient content for your needs is the key to success with soil, absolutely nothing else matters. You could grow in fruity pebbles if you controlled those three things (At least I think, maybe, that’d be awful). I usually make my soil super anemic in terms of nutrients; I like to exert tons of control over nutrient intake, and coir and peat moss can retain some nutrients after watering. Sometimes though, I like to make soil so hot, with so much guano and castings, that I can barely keep the plants alive through their younger weeks–they’re fun to watch explode when they adapt/adjust. It’s all personal choice that you can cater to your individual needs.

5 Likes

I used to recycle it.
Added bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal, Epsom salt, and dolomite lime.
Forgot ewc.

5 Likes

Gardners also has a soil booster for raised beds and buckets.
Have used it a couple times didnt see much if any change with the basic mix I was using.

Don’t recycle anymore well sort of it goes in my raised beds.
Keeping big bags round just ain’t my thing.

1 Like