What happend to seedfinder.eu

Hey @everybody
I’m not sure how many of you, especially in the US, use seedfinder.eu for general linage information and stuff, but at least in the EU is quite common.
After decades of providing independent information there was a few major changes.
The sale-radar is turned off, the commercials are only from Royal Queen Seeds and Zamnesia, the content provider changed to a dutch company. Services » Contentum - they claim to be professionals but can’ ensure safe access with https…
The linage information and the comments seems to be unchanged, i could only check mine, but they are still there.
To me it looks like they were taken over bei RQS. Would be a shame if seedfinder gets commercializated!
Anybody heard anything about it?

Saludos!!

15 Likes

I haven’t been on there in a few weeks I’d say. Hadn’t heard of anything though.

2 Likes

I sent them a message through their contact page, I’m suspecting that they have indeed been bought up.

3 Likes

Same here :facepunch:t3:
No answer yet.
Let’s see!

3 Likes

I was so blunt to point out that their seed sale radar was off and that this would be in line with commercial interests of both companies :raccoon:

5 Likes

Honestly, if it’s them I’ll probably end up using seedfinder a lot less. RQS’s seeds have never yielded me stellar plants, Zamnesia is a company that removes every negative review from their products even if they are from people who actually bought the product, that’s why I refuse using Zamnesia. If they felt the need to buy up seedfinder I can’t honestly imagine they won’t trash the places’ value.

5 Likes

Exactly! RQS is pure marketing and shitty seeds. They grab the newbies by huge commercials on every cannabis-related page and make a lot of wrong promises.
Then the people buy it once and switch to smt else. But i guess the first time buyers are enough to “survive”
I read they were as well one of the first opening a Flagship Store in Bangkok after legalization. Educating the poor thai, who grew just for few hundred years. Maybe telling them smt about the" the world’s first true F1 hybrid cannabis seeds" :exploding_head:
If they would not be that cheap they could make a collab with cookies
:money_mouth_face:

5 Likes

Dang, I use seedfinder…
I totally missed that (I just ignore the ads)…
The only change (update?) I’ve noticed happened a month or more back. It involved an overhaul of the background information of OG Kush.

Cheers
G

8 Likes

I haven’t heard anything specific, but it’s not uncommon for changes to happen in the online world. Seedfinder.eu has been a great resource, and if they keep the linage info and comments intact, that’s a relief

3 Likes

The NL stuff has greg/todd’s purest indica all over it now too.

I hadn’t noticed anything else, nor was anything mentioned when I got my stuff added there a month or two back. Didn’t seem like it was a big company operation…

5 Likes

Hey and welcome to OG!
Let’s hope it stays like that…
I’ll be watching the RQS rating for sure over the next weeks :wink:

1 Like

That’s always my go to for genetic info. I hope there are no big changes.

2 Likes

I also noticed the sales links missing on the strain pages.

2 Likes

They have a Facebook page with a pinned post from February 1st about ‘End of an Era’ and some background info, I wish them well. :heart:

2 Likes

Now i just need somebody, who has facebook! :wink:

Thanks for the info!!

1 Like

@CaptainNemo Here you go from their FB page.
The formatting is mangled in some spots :slight_smile:

end of an era
February 1

…i still can’t believe it. After 16 years building up and running SeedFinder.eu - today is the day to step back a bit and to hand it over to its new owners 🥲🫡
wow… what a time :relaxed: Starting with a few hundred strains and 50 breeders as a kind of private database, it have grown to a huge resource of knowledge over the years - it has helped countless amounts of farmers to grow countless amounts of weed in that time - has connected the small and big farmers, the breeders, the seedbanks, the strains and the end-users - and everything for free! And now? There are around 30K users - every day(!) - and i’m always amazed how many people know about my small homepage everywhere in the world if i mention that i’m running that page somewhere

yeah, really, building up and running something useful as this was absolutely a pleasure!!! Starting from the scratch 16 years ago it was one of my first totally self made web projects, i’ve learned how to code and all that stuff while building it up and was running it around 10 years as a one-man-show before Christian have joined me at Tenerife to help with all that work. But while we had some time to code and install new options and functions on the page within the first years - now the main work is keeping updated with all the new strains and breeders which are popping up every day! And this is SO amazing - we always liked all the small, private seedbanks and was happy to give them visibility - but at the end its also a shitload of work every day - now we already list 27.648 cultivars on the page, made from 1524 breeders! This was around 5 strains we have listed every single day since 15 years!!! And this is just the beginning, remember, weed is still not legal in most parts of the world!!

but yeah - long story short - at the end the project got a little bit too big to run it only with 2 persons - it was time for some change! And this not only for the seedfinder - but also for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So yeah - today is finally the day where i hand over the project to some old friends from the netherlands - and the seedfinder will get a real team of professional programmers and finally will be able grow again, get much bigger, better and even more useful in the future! And me? I finally have some time again for new projects - and hell yeah - wait for it!

well… sure, its a bit sad altogether - but i’m really happy at the same time - and even a small little bit proud about what i’ve created in the last years :face_with_hand_over_mouth: But now… lets make it a quick goodby and not cry too much - ciao seedfinder.eu - it was a really a great time with you… Much love and i wish you all the best

10 Likes

Thank you very much!!!

…sounds like a euphemism to me.
I checked the website of the new owners… no https, you can still see the wordpress logo on the tab. No impressum etc. BUT

doesn’t fit togeher…
Let’ see how it develops.

3 Likes

https has been working fine for me…

And Christian is actually who got back to me in May when I went to add things to the site.

5 Likes

Sorry i was unprecise… On seedfinder for sure. On the Homepage of the “professional programmers” not.

2 Likes

Honestly I’ve never used seedfinder for any purpose other than occasionally looking for info on strains from various breeders. Given the amount of misinformation posted there, I’ve always taken the findings with a grain of salt.

After decades of internet use, I generally ignore banner ads on websites (sorry OG advertisers…you’re not getting click-throughs from me).

5 Likes