What is a "hashplant?"

I believe there is at least one cultivar that is nicknamed Hashplant, i.e. Blue Dream, Sour Diesel, etc.

But I’m curious if there is an agreed upon morphological distinction that categorizes certain varietals as being “a hashplant,” versus being, “Hashplant.”

I’m thinking things like very large globular trichome heads on unusually long stalks prone to breaking during hashmaking, or a specific piney/earthy terp profile that is characteristic of classical imported hashish from the mid 20th century.

If you got a random pack of unknown seeds and grew them out, what would make you describe the resulting females as “hashplants?”

6 Likes

I always thought it was just a heavy resin producer that lent itself to hash making because of it’s trichome production either in volume or thickness. I’m in to find out definitively though!

5 Likes

Hashplant is a strain from Sensi Seeds

1 Like

I think the bud structure is more open too making for easier collection.

3 Likes

Right, bud structure and bigger sugar leaves and resin, just what you need for charas production. :+1:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Hashplants are just any farmed variety from hash making areas. These would be places like Lebanon, Afghanistan, Morocco, Iran, Pakistan, etc. It’s hard to call American hybrid hashplants, though it’s common for people to carry names when naming strains.

The hashplant “look” is popular in dispensaries and on places like instagram. This is longer resin stems that give the plant a whiter appearance. This mistaken quality does not necessarily mean higher potency, since most of the resin resides in the trichome heads — but it’s a property that helps a hash maker sieve the resin from the chlorophyll containing plant material.

31 Likes

The name seems to have been first used by Nevil in 1987 at The Seed Bank to point to an Afghani indica. Since then the name has been used over and over by so many people that it doesn’t really mean any specific strain. Just points to a sticky, gooey indica strain. Just an opinion…

5 Likes