What is the best, most practical extraction method for the home grower?

I guessed india based on what I saw in the photo could be sri lanka, bangledesh, somewhere over there hahaha.

1 Like

That just gave me the mental image of a lonely stoner rolling around a 4x4 tent in the buff… TMI

6 Likes

Meh I mean whatever tickles your pickle I am not judging.

Did you hack into my security camera??! :smile:

5 Likes

What’s the old saying? Something about ‘its like running backwards through a corn field naked’ lol

2 Likes

Just did a big bong hit of it and thought maybe I should give a link to when I did it.

2 Likes

I’m bumping this thread because I’ve decided I’m going to convert about a half pound of Honduras Breeze flowers into oil. I’m still thinking about last minute decisions, but it feels like I’m leaning toward giving bubble bags a try. I might just go ahead and order a set today because I really think that’s what I’m going to try out…

5 Likes

I’ll eventually get something like this. https://www.extractcraft.com/ethanol-recovery-appliances

3 Likes

How mich dry flower/trim and how much dey ice at a time do u recommend when using the 5gal bag?
Thx

2 Likes

Fresh frozen bubble pressed into rosin is my favorite. :yum:

5 Likes

All I can say is the dry ice gets heavy after you have to shake it for a bit. I recommend doing smaller amounts. I did pick up 10kg and it’s dense weight. I tried to do a large amount at once, over 2 lbs trim and it will work but my back and arms got tired. If you are in good shape then go for a 1 shot and done if you need and can.

3 Likes

lol that much weight I would use a machine like engine hoist or something man don’t get a hernia.

1 Like

the simplest tehcniques are the best…
Ice water hash is easy but messy. It will be a trial and error situation to locate which micron size is best for your strain’s trichomes (heads vary in size from strain to strain)… use atleast 4 bags or more, on your first run, to make sure you’re not loosing anything… U say 1/2lb of material., i would do a short run of an ounce or two to start with…once u dial your bags in, run the rest of it…

a dry-ice dry sift is super easy. you can place the resulting keif in parchament paper and into plastic wrap and then place it into your shoe and walk around… or place it inbetween books and weights, or cinder blocks. …in lieu of a hydraulic press, of course…

the other super easy way is to make it into Oil, (aka RSO, phenoix tears etc). you can use ethanol, alchohal, or another liquid solvent. Just like with other solvent extractions such as butane/propane/co2, it only takes seconds of contact to strip the oils… Pour yur solvent over yur trim and then pour off the liquid off into another container. Then pour the run-off over the weed again. then pour that liquid through a coffee filter…they avegrae 20microns, which is enough to stop pet and human hair from entering your oil)… and into a crock pot. low setting, well ventilated… in 24hrs or so, you’ll have oil…

This can be done without heat, and done on small scale, u can place a few grams of bud into a section of panty hose (making a tea bag) set it in a coffee cup with everclear. after some time (few minutes or few hours or overnight) remove the weed tea bag and allow the achohal to evaporate.

9 Likes

Dry sift takes a while but to me totally worth it. I could have pressed this into hash but it was small amount and I added fire and am observing the effects:

15 Likes

fire?

1 Like

Loving this topic. Reading and deciding on what method to go with for 2 CBD plants I just harvested and have haning/curing. Whatever I do I will need to buy the gear. Thinking of either dry soft or the dry ice in bubble bag methid.

3 Likes

Hey Gang. I want to try the dry ice bubble bag method using 1 gallon bags. Can anyone recommend a good brand/type? Someone had commented in another thread but I can’t find it. I am eyeing a set on Amazon from BUBBLEBAGDUDE.

3 Likes

I’ve done ISO extractions here and there over the years with mixed results. I’m thinking this time I’m going to do some dry sift with a bunch of trim and small buds I have laying around.

What sizes of screen should I get? I saw earlier in the thread that @paintedfire420 uses 110 lpi and 195 lpi, should that cover me? I’d prefer something along the lines of a classic black/gold hash… I’m not after crazy potency

Also if anyone knows a good cheap source for screens in Canada I’d be much obliged!

3 Likes

Dont take this as a recommendation, as I have exactly ZERO experience with sifting/bubble/bag stuff, but this set of bags had sizes that were in the ball park that different folks have mentioned. I figured these would at least get me started.

I tried a quick dry sift with some old trim that had been in the freezer for 8 months. It was very dry, but I used the 120 bag and got some fine powder in the bottom of a bucket. Thats where it sits now :slight_smile:

Purple - 25 Microns

Yellow - 73 Microns

Orange - 120 Microns

Red - 160 Microns

Blue - 220 Microns

Im going to try dry ice when I do my harvest in the next few weeks.

4 Likes

Bubblebagdude… (Support Canadian)
Number of bags you go with depends on how many different grades of hash you want to fuck around with, more bags = more work…

3 Likes