What is the best, most practical extraction method for the home grower?

the simplest tehcniques are the best…
Ice water hash is easy but messy. It will be a trial and error situation to locate which micron size is best for your strain’s trichomes (heads vary in size from strain to strain)… use atleast 4 bags or more, on your first run, to make sure you’re not loosing anything… U say 1/2lb of material., i would do a short run of an ounce or two to start with…once u dial your bags in, run the rest of it…

a dry-ice dry sift is super easy. you can place the resulting keif in parchament paper and into plastic wrap and then place it into your shoe and walk around… or place it inbetween books and weights, or cinder blocks. …in lieu of a hydraulic press, of course…

the other super easy way is to make it into Oil, (aka RSO, phenoix tears etc). you can use ethanol, alchohal, or another liquid solvent. Just like with other solvent extractions such as butane/propane/co2, it only takes seconds of contact to strip the oils… Pour yur solvent over yur trim and then pour off the liquid off into another container. Then pour the run-off over the weed again. then pour that liquid through a coffee filter…they avegrae 20microns, which is enough to stop pet and human hair from entering your oil)… and into a crock pot. low setting, well ventilated… in 24hrs or so, you’ll have oil…

This can be done without heat, and done on small scale, u can place a few grams of bud into a section of panty hose (making a tea bag) set it in a coffee cup with everclear. after some time (few minutes or few hours or overnight) remove the weed tea bag and allow the achohal to evaporate.

9 Likes

Dry sift takes a while but to me totally worth it. I could have pressed this into hash but it was small amount and I added fire and am observing the effects:

15 Likes

fire?

1 Like

Loving this topic. Reading and deciding on what method to go with for 2 CBD plants I just harvested and have haning/curing. Whatever I do I will need to buy the gear. Thinking of either dry soft or the dry ice in bubble bag methid.

3 Likes

Hey Gang. I want to try the dry ice bubble bag method using 1 gallon bags. Can anyone recommend a good brand/type? Someone had commented in another thread but I can’t find it. I am eyeing a set on Amazon from BUBBLEBAGDUDE.

3 Likes

I’ve done ISO extractions here and there over the years with mixed results. I’m thinking this time I’m going to do some dry sift with a bunch of trim and small buds I have laying around.

What sizes of screen should I get? I saw earlier in the thread that @paintedfire420 uses 110 lpi and 195 lpi, should that cover me? I’d prefer something along the lines of a classic black/gold hash… I’m not after crazy potency

Also if anyone knows a good cheap source for screens in Canada I’d be much obliged!

3 Likes

Dont take this as a recommendation, as I have exactly ZERO experience with sifting/bubble/bag stuff, but this set of bags had sizes that were in the ball park that different folks have mentioned. I figured these would at least get me started.

I tried a quick dry sift with some old trim that had been in the freezer for 8 months. It was very dry, but I used the 120 bag and got some fine powder in the bottom of a bucket. Thats where it sits now :slight_smile:

Purple - 25 Microns

Yellow - 73 Microns

Orange - 120 Microns

Red - 160 Microns

Blue - 220 Microns

Im going to try dry ice when I do my harvest in the next few weeks.

4 Likes

Bubblebagdude… (Support Canadian)
Number of bags you go with depends on how many different grades of hash you want to fuck around with, more bags = more work…

3 Likes

I have that brand in 5 gallon. If your only doing dry ice I would just buy a single 160 bag.

2 Likes

Wait, bubble bags for dry sift? Do you just put them in a bucket like usual and shake the hell out of it?

I was picturing flat like a window screen…:thinking:

3 Likes

Seen a video recently using 160 with busted up dry ice it’s done with short jerky motions onto glass or plastic tarps like shaking pepper out of you pepper shaker … no buckets just the bag using 1/2 lb or so in the 5 gallon capacity bubble bags

3 Likes

I regularly have access to dry ice in a weekly basis at work free of charge so I’m wondering if this is the route I should take maybe I’ll do both for comparison

Now I just need to purchase the damn bags the ones from Canada shipping just sucks adds like 30+$ to the total price ouch!

5 Likes

With access to dry ice you should definitely do the dry sift.

3 Likes

Thats what I did.

I watched a few videos just like that, but I have kittens and no really good place to spread out a large flat anything, so I just did it in the buckets dry. Seemed to work ok for a small batch and it keeps the fine particles from blowing all over.

3 Likes

You have a gold mine lol.

Just buy a single 160 micron off of amazon.

My wife said she has dry ice at work but can’t bring it home. So I’m jealous.

I use an old plastic storage container and shake in that and scrape with old card. The first shake go real slow if you want to separate the best. Then it’s go.

I don’t think you have grow tent but when your done I put it in mine for extra CO2.

10 Likes

So with dry bubble does the sift need a day or two of dry time? My guess would be yes due to it being cold as hell and absorbing moisture possibly? Then could temple balls be made with this process and a warm press of a hot wine bottle?

4 Likes

So on the ass end of dry ice dry sift if bud is seeded would these seeds still be good or would the dry ice fuck em up to where they wouldn’t sprout ? Anybody try seeds after this process?

5 Likes

I leave it on a frisbee for a few days. Smoke the good stuff. I have no humidity here so I maybe getting lucky.

I have not done either of those. Ive seen people compress it with a pollen press. I will look through the leftovers tonight when lights come on and try to find a couple seeds to germ. I’m thinking they would because people store them in the freezer.

I did try to press some with hair straightener and clamp. I don’t think I did it right.

1 Like

ah if thats the case no excuse there, just need some bags

5 Likes

are you near a city bro? If so hit up any t shirt supply store. They are super cheap this way. If you aren’t after crazy purity or cleanliness you could probably get away with a single screen 110 lpi which would cost only about 25 bucks.

Might even consider a bubblebag and dry ice like the post shown up above ^^

4 Likes