Photo Periods or Autos that Is the question?

So, from growers who have grown both photo period seeds and autoflower, which do you prefer or is there not much of a difference? Let’s hear both sides pros and cons

9 Likes

Really depends on what you want to do… Personally, I like to put autos in with my photos lol fill in the empty spaces with flower…

18 Likes

I like photos so I can control how big they get.

17 Likes

Definitely an argument for photos… You can make them big and get stronger yields… But some autos will surprise you with 5-7oz per plant even while on a 60-80day from seed time limit

12 Likes

I’m running autos right now and they look good to me. I’ve got a lot more experience with photos.

6 Likes

I prefer photos because if you fail with them they have extra time to recover :sweat_smile:, autos won’t tolerate any error … :disappointed:

12 Likes

Autos, the yields in such a short time frame are amazing!

9 Likes

Depends, I find photos better as you can train and veg them back to health. That said, if you have short summers Autos are good for starting inside and than moving out so you can harvest early in the season.

13 Likes

So far this is a great discussion as I’m lining up my next grow. I have both photoperiod seeds and auto seeds so keep the info coming. I have only grown photo periods so I’m a bit skeptical of moving that direction. I have only seen and been given flower from a homegrown auto grow and the buds were really fluffy…(I know this probably is not a good representation of just an auto plant)

4 Likes

I don’t have a lot of experience growing autos, but I hear they have come a long way. I think they’d be good to run along side photos as mentioned. You do probably need to have everything dialed in and be good at starting from seed because every little mistake is going to impact the final yield since they are finished in such a tight time frame. I would think commercial growers would love them for fast cycles and, with quality seed, uniformity.

3 Likes

It depends on your system and goals. It’s just one characteristic.

5 Likes

The fact is that autos and photos are close to each other. They breed a photo with ruderelis to give it the auto flowering gene. This tends to give you a lower thc version to its photo period counterparts. At this point in time that is usually a pretty negligible difference. So really its just about what you want and your criteria as to which you choose.

5 Likes

Only thing I can say there is: grow a couple autos and it’ll change your mind lol the go so fast from a small seedling to a good sized plant full of buds lol

It may not be your cup of tea after you do, or it may, some just don’t like autos, but hey… you got to see something different

It’s pretty awesome… Regardless of bias, I think everyone should grow an auto at least once… Just to see lol

13 Likes

About to pull my first autos in the next week. So this is a tough question for me, there’s pluses and minuses to both sides.

Photos - more time to correct issues, can make moms, clones, decide when to flower

Autos - fast seed to bud time. Short generation time for breeding out traits, short plants

I need more time with the autos, lots more seeds from the same type, but I think I would prefer to keep autos inside, and photos outside, sheerly for the fact that autos can take advantage of 18 or 20 hrs of light… Have a few inside and some outside, the inside look 10x better than the outside ones at the moment…

8 Likes

Agreed, I have the same strain popped the same day, one inside one out.

The difference is staggering, but it’s 100% down to the 20/4 lighting schedule indoors.

5 Likes

Have four autos going right now which are my first autos so I’m anxious to see how these go. So far its a trip watching the speed and the fact that they are kinda mini. Mine hit 30 days from sprout today.

5 Likes

Indoor vs outdoor, Mephisto Forgotten Cookies.

Day 57 for both

12 Likes

Well I might have to just do an auto run and get a feel for it. I like training and being a bit more liberal with my plants but sounds like the seed to harvest would be an interesting experiment to watch

2 Likes

Mephisto Sour Crinkle day 57 from sprout

Mephisto Strawberry Stomper day 57 from sprout

13 Likes

That’s very similar to mine. I’ll have to snap a pic when I can get em side by side. Outside stretched like a MOFO but isn’t filling in near as much as inside…

3 Likes