What is the biggest thing that you regret doing with your grow?

@Cobra50
Oh sorry bro,
Itā€™s a pic of a ā€œVapona Stripā€

1 Like

@Scissor-Hanz,

Oh. Did it prove top be toxic to your seedlings? Iā€™ve been using yellow sticky traps and bug zappers. I was a bit concerned when I put a bug zapper into my flowering room as I leave them on 24/7. It didnā€™t seem to be a problem, thankfully!

2 Likes

I use them on cuttings without a problem. But ya, it chocked the smaller seedlings over about 10 hrs.

@Scissor-Hanz

Oh well, a day with out learning is a wasted day. :wink:

2 Likes

No. She was 16 and her family were ā€œprominentā€ (wealthy) members of a small community. No charges. They just wanted my ass out of the county!
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I have a new regret today. :confounded:
I decided to take my plants out of their areas to get better photos.

See the short one on the right?

This is the same plant 1 minute laterā€¦ :poop: I saw it go over, but I had the taller plant in my hand and didnā€™t want to drop it while trying to save the one that was falling. This is one of those situations that I wish I couldā€™ve taken back the last 10 seconds.

Fortunately, if you stitch it back together with some twist ties, it will repair itself with very little loss. Doesnā€™t stop the regret for having done it to start with. :disappointed:

6 Likes

Stakes are your friends.

Putting salted water on the soilā€¦:expressionless: :worried:

:sweat: Lmfao

1 Like

They must have really loved that, :laughing:

99%

1 Like

Yeah, harvested exactly zero Swiss chard that year. :joy: :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Bought lots of Swiss Chard seed this year. Going big time.

Love it with everything.

3 Likes

@99PerCent

Yeah. This plant didnā€™t need it until I knocked it overā€¦ Bright side: Its not the 1st time. Down side: Probably not the last. At least I donā€™t get totally freaked out when this happens anymore. I know it will fixā€¦

The smallest limb definitely needed a stake as well as stitching. I am also going to put it into a larger pot as well. More root space seems help when this happens.

@Worcestershire_Farms

The non-existent harvest is not unexpected. How did you happen to have salted water in your grow area?

Edit: added the word ā€œharvestā€ to the above sentence.

Oh! I thought of another one!

When my last shed grow finished, something like 5-6 ounces worth, I thought I was weed rich and got uber lazy. I put off starting another grow immediately, and fuck me if I didnā€™t pay for it. I ended up having to buy for 3 months before it dawned on me to get off my ass and start another grow. So a total of 3,000$ in black market meds. An expensive lesson for sure and I regret not starting seeds as soon as I harvested lol.

5 Likes

Had a little barbecue / seafood boil. I did the salads and pulled pork and left my cousin with the seafood.
I never salt the water cuz itā€™s served with salted butter, so it didnā€™t even occur to me that he would. Didnā€™t think twice about using it on the garden.

3 Likes

@Jellypowered,
I used to find it easy to get lazy about chores. I didnā€™t keep much in the line of records, move a plant when it looked like it needed it. Made it much worse. Iā€™d get 4 clones done so I didnā€™t make anymore for (was supposed to be) 2 weeks. I finally snapped out of it when I had only 2 plants in veg and no clones. I suffered each time as well, Iā€™d have to tighten up my belt on how much I used, and end buying dealer weed.

I started keeping better records, but I found them wholly insufficient when I was trying to determine the actual cause of what was my thrip invasion. Since I literally completely changed how I grow as a result, I decided to keep thorough very records. I started that in April '17. I am keeping a database. I put myself on a set schedule. Also, Iā€™ve been growing continuous harvest ever since my 4th grow. That helps a bit. There is still much to do after I harvest 1 or 2 plants.

Now I check my database to see what needs to be done next in each grow. Everything I do with each individual plant is recorded. I thought Iā€™d had everything I needed to record about each plant when I first finished setting up my tables, but I am always finding something new to add to it and backtrack to fill in the old stuff if I can.

I donā€™t know why I didnā€™t do this sooner. It sucks getting into the habit recording everything when all you want to do is water your plants and get very high while hanging out on OG. But now I have a 10 month old database and Iā€™ve learned to write forms and reports and I am never sitting down with my head in my hands trying to remember what happened months ago to that plant I took right from clone to flowering. Or when did I apply nematodes last and at what mixture rate. Or how much pH up do I have to put into my 5 gallon drink cooler of Ripe feed to get the reading I want.

All this stuff is now easily found.

Lately Iā€™ve even started photo documenting 8 plants up to flowering. It doesnā€™t make sense to take pics there all my my biggest camera is still a cheap entry level type with built in flash and the flash canā€™t hold its own against the 750 hps. But a DSLR is more like a next year expense, unless I end up finding a deal I canā€™t pass up.

4 Likes

Look into a used Fuji finepix s700 or better, they are purty good as far as entry level photo gear, the s700 is pretty old now, Iā€™m sure there are a lot better/newer models but I know that those are decent enough for our purposes.

I actually am using a FujiFilm Finepix that Iā€™ve had since Christmas 2012. Its an AX560. It is small, 16MP, HD movie camera and takes good pictures. I think Iā€™d probably like the s700. Thanks for the suggestion.

My 750w just turned off. Thatā€™s my cue to call it a day.

Peace and good weed to you. :vulcan:

1 Like

Be careful with those.

1 Like

Holy shit, cbay! wow, thats going back to the good old days! U never have enough space, no matter how big, it sucks, having to sophieā€™s choice which beans to germ and which ones to shelveā€¦ i did a lot of traveling, strain hunting and trading, got tons of stuff that I never got arund to growingā€¦ its sad when i think about itā€¦
Thats how i started, i collected bag seeds and then iā€™d seed a plant or two for next yearā€¦my partner is 2nd gen outdoor, thats how his fmaily got next yrs crop int he 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s, he made seedsā€¦ thats how landraces are traditionally ā€œbredā€ since the dawn of timeā€¦ aint nothing wrong w/ that man.
i was growing for like nearly 6 years making seeds and whatnot, before i got a copy of MJ botnay and got into actual breedingā€¦ we all started in the same humble place, making beans simply out of necessity, with our best bag-seed plantsā€¦

5 Likes

@anon32470837 and @Scissor-Hanz thank you for that advice. Iā€™ve been working using non-toxic solutions. Pest strips was one I thought of, but felt I could get better coverage using more yellow cards. I would have eventually added them to my grows if I hadnā€™t gotten the flyinā€™ fuckers undder contorl (and apparently, now, gone! :smile_cat:). It never would have occurred to me that pests strips emanate toxins (I think I thought of them as fly paper on steroids). That being the case, I wonā€™t use them anywhere. Ever.

@deep_rob

They definitely were! I had:

• Kali Mist (never grew out :disappointed:)
  • Nevilleā€™s haze (my kid and his friendā€™s liked that one, I didnā€™t feel any effect)
  • Blue Widow (a favorite)
  • White widow (also a fav)
  • Thunder 47 (I called it Russian Thunder, I thought is sounded better. Excellent buzz, very short, bushy plant)
  • California Orange (Liked it better than the Nevilleā€™s Haze)
    They always at least $100 less than online seed houses, often much more. If always amused me that Heavenā€™s Stairway was the shipper of these bargain seeds.
    I had even crossed a White Widow male with a Blue Widow I called it Baby Blue Widow (BBW or Fat Chick for short). It was my absolute favorite of the strains I had. I kept this one alive the longest. Iā€™d not made any seeds for this one in 8 years when I lost it to what I now was insect attacks in winter 2012/2013. I tried every trick I could find to germ at least one seed. Sadly, they all went to seed heaven.

Bought weed and grew out seeds from the bags. Most of it was crap weed. One day my kid gave me a seed from a bag of weed his friend had. (He brought his weed to our house, filled a bowl, popped out a seedā€¦) I grew that one out. It was quite good. It is the one I call Blonde, for lack of an official name). March 2015, my sonā€™s girlfriend (now fiance), went to Milwaukee to visit her brother and came back with a bag of very purple weed. It had 4 seeds. One seed failed, the remaining three sprouted and are what I call Purple. Once a year I make sure to get seeds. I have to make a herm to do it as both strains are feminized.

My BBW was an accident. I had grown the male White Widow in the kitchen window until it burst. I had a 2 White Widows and a Blue Widow under the hps. I brushed pollen on a side bud on each White Widow, expecting a small bud full of seeds on each plant. Apparently when I turned the fan back on a few minutes later, pollen blew around. Each White Widow was covered in seed over about 25% and the Blue Widow made about a tablespoon of seeds too. I ended up liking the BBW so well and had so many seeds, I didnā€™t worry when the White Widow died out. I had let the Blue Widow go away a year earlier. Fast forward about a year and a half. Iā€™m tired of smoking just my Fat Chick and put some Blue Widow seeds into germ. I only had a half dozen of the original Blue Widow seed purchase and none popped. They were 10 year old seeds, so I wasnā€™t much surprised. It was why I did them first. I was surprised by the White Widow seeds not sprouting, they were only 6-7 years old.

Looking back, I probably should have pre-cracked the White Widow seeds, Iā€™d been growinf solong from clones, I forgot the tricks I learned here about seeds. Also, at the time, I didnā€™t think my seeds were old enough to worry about.

Thatā€™s my sad story about what happened to my CBay strains. Man I wish CBay was still around. Iā€™m not paying more than $50 for seeds.

3 Likes