What is the genetic difference between breeding with reversed individuals versus natural hermaphrodites?

No, he doesn’t. We have already been through this :sweat_smile:

Pz :v:t2:

1 Like

You have the right to reject it buddy ^^ But it’s proven.
And it’s also proven that it’s how cannabis (and hemp) maintain its dioecious state.

2 Likes

Sources on this please? Want to educate myself

The genetic make-up of “Y” contain less chromosomal data and autonomal data then the “X”.

2 Likes

It’s brought up in the big breeding thread. Take a look at those discussions if this is something that interest you.

2 Likes

Are you kidding me ? ^^ You can extend the reading here

4 Likes

Females and “in-between” are mostly built with autosomal traits, that’s the inherent characteristic of cannabis. It’s why the more YY in the line, the more dioecious. They just brute force the genotype with everything missing.

4 Likes

Yes, this is true, but I think you is misunderstanding the data. The actual chromosomal data in “Y” is less then the actual chromosomal data in “X”. So saying that Y have a full range of the chromsomal data is not true and it doesn’t even reflect what’s actually happening with the splitting of dioecious evolution.

A better way to frame it, is that the data in the “Y” have a larger impact on the progeny, then the “X”. But it doesn’t mean that plants without the data is inferior in any way.

6 Likes

For my part I’m not enough arrogant to declare what you’re understanding or not, i just consider that you defend your chapel and it’s legit in my book. The truth still in the blunt, one day maybe we will pass some around the table to figure out.

3 Likes

Sorry, didn’t want to come off as arrogant. I’m sorry.

It was a bad statement by my part :pensive:

4 Likes

Don’t worry, we’re used to fence on this matter. More a reminder to make you stronger for the next round ^^

3 Likes

I like to Hear and read those people fencing on knowdoledge,we all learn from mistakes or from trial and error only if we are as wise as capable to admit and accept that our point of view or knowdoledge could be “wrong” at times.
Thank you both @LonelyOC @Fuel

9 Likes

I too thank you both for all the cool info. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
It is very nice to see 2 individuals disagree with each other but continue to be respectful and pleasant.
My hat is off to you 2 fine gents.image

Well said. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

Hey, are you trying to select and inbreed @LonelyOC :laughing: ?

Have read the last round on a breeding thread, over my head, but slowly getting there reading both of your inputs (and others)

2 Likes

@funkyfunk Sorry, I don’t really understand your question you got for me…
In this thread I’m trying to explain how the genetics behind herms work and why any type of herm seeds are a bad thing.

3 Likes

My bad, I was asking @fuel if they were trying to select/inbreed you. Just a silly joke from his phrase. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i’ve been thinking about this a while as it relates to elite clones being selfed. elite clone being i.e. lots of recessives. when selfed, hormonal issues may be brought out that were not present in the clone. alternatively, a lot of elites seem to have hormonal problems.

idk, just something to think about when running fems as i never heard anyone talk about this in a clear way. perhaps a fem seeds that is a cross between two cultivars or just different cuts of the same cultivar would be safer.

3 Likes

I have 3 questions relating to the original posting.Is there any difference between making 2 clones from the same pheno and reversing one to pollinate the other vs. Reversing a branch of an established plant to cross with another branch? Next question- Would a pheno made from stable genetics and chemically reversed with sts allow for more stable offspring than a pheno that herms on its own? What could be the differences between the plant reversed with sts and the progeny from those seeds?

3 Likes

No.

It’s what make the difference between a shitty fem and the top of the cream of this kind of product, and also the recurrent polemic about it in a way. I still hate fems, but the difference between a “very hard to reverse” cut and a cut that is surrounded by bananas like a breeze with just one spray … have a repercussion in the grow later. Needless to say that with a specimen that don’t need at all to be sprayed to be triggered, it’s even worse.

The selection itself make the difference, not the process. You have to select your reversed specimens specifically for this process.

6 Likes

The hormonal issue in a progeny is based on the genetic material of the parents. So if a elite is stable but a lot of the S1s are herming, this means that the elites progeny always will carry a tendency for herms. Only way to get a lower rate is to use a more stable partner which is less on the “herm range”.

What I’m trying to say is that if you pop 100 seeds of a cultivar and 10% herm and you cross it to a cultivar where 10% herm. Even though you selected for not herming individuals, the herm rate will have a high chance for being 10% or lower. So this is just a chance, I’m not saying it WILL happen, but it’s a high chance for this to happen.

If you instead crossed the herm plants of both batches of seeds, there would be a high chance for being 10% or higher in the coming progeny.

So this is how you get around herms in for example landraces, you continue to select for non herming plants, lowering the chance for herms every generation, until you get close to zero.

6 Likes