What is this seed doing 😲

Never heard of this possibility except in the case where either (1) both the parents were homozygous, (2) a somatic embryo has been extracted and cloned and provided in an artificial seed, or (3) in lab experiments on arabidopsis. Do you have a link to a research paper suggesting such an existent pathway?

3 Likes

Glad somebody said it as I’m not good with words but a plant is a combination of its parents that can not be replicated in the manner being discussed here. You are adding and or removing genetic code when offspring are created.

3 Likes

I just believe that the progeny of heterozygous parents will isolate and group based upon the specific physical locations of the differing genes or other DNA sequences on the chromosomes.

1 Like

…But I am still interested in and open to including the findings of any scientifically-sound research!

1 Like

I’ve tried to explain genetic inheritance to people and what it means in terms of exact copies or recreating something but plant science and biology dosent sit well with some , I myself am bad at math and social skills , we all have a strengths and weaknesses but I to agree that any solid science explaining or detailing the unknown is always welcome.
I say buy the ticket and take the ride :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I understand. Analogously, some people mistakenly believe that backcrossing enough times will create a stabilized hybrid but even that is impossible when starting from heterozygous parents :joy: and once we take into consideration polygenic or epigenetic interactions it becomes much more complex!

1 Like

Well, we are talking about cannabis breeding so it’s not like you’d be referencing materials in a national journal; but there are multiple resources you can reference.
https://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/top-10-craziest-cannabis-mutations/

https://www.medicalmarijuana.com/6-most-common-weed-mutations-and-how-to-spot-them/

PCD is a thing but it’s not synonymous with polyembryony:

or

What I told @HeadyBearAdventures was based on my personal research and first hand experience, take it for what you will.

1 Like

Edit Just noticed you specifically said backcrossing to polyhybrid… Yeah just more of the same.

Yeah by technical scientific definitions it’s probably not possible how ever plenty of lines have been stabilized enough to consistently display traits they are known for and make great breeding tools as they often breed true for those traits and can be used to improve upon other lines that may be lacking in certain areas

Well she not looking too healthy rn :joy:

1 Like

I spend most of my free time researching and studying, mostly research papers, rfc’s, and scientific or technical material but thank you for the consideration. Not sure if you posted the correct links, but upon reading them, the BLOG article from Sensi Seeds, with no appendices and no references, makes an unsubstantiated claim of a clone being produced in every set of cannabis twins yet provides no logic nor explanation for the basis of their conclusion. The next link was merely hearsay with a woman stating she heard that cannabis was like Citrus and Mangoes and would produce clones. The High times article discusses standard zygotic twins, not clones. The next article discusses Mangoes which – along with Oranges, Strawberries, and ferns- are some of the only known plants that have the genetic predisposition to produce a polyembronic seed which can result in a clone – without having been fertilized. The final pubmed doc is discussing cretaceous period plants and appears to have no relevance to the discussion.
That was a lot of reading but it did not illuminate the conversation nor provide any conclusive evidence of any truly considerable evidence that cannabis seedling twins always, or ever, resulting in one non zygotic clone of the mother. :v:

2 Likes

Oh no! That is not looking too happy :fearful: What are you feeding it? What is the PH? Temp? For seedlings I shoot for 300ppm @5.8-6.1 pH. Some people have problems running seedlings in hydro before they have a solid root structure but I have not had those issues. Don’t be too retentive about the pH… let it drift up to 6.1 before you lower it back to 5.8. Be sure your pH meter is calibrated too!

Yeah, man… It’s a rabbit hole. Not like I proposed this concept and maybe you might have a better reference that discusses polyembryony in Cannabis… heck maybe if I go back in my notes I might even be able to find some better materials to offer you…but I’m not willing to go through that right now.

What I know is that when I researched polyembryony because I had a set of twins come out of F1s, everything seemed to support what was suggested… not sure why I included the Pubmed article though :man_shrugging:

I never see this in all my tired life.
Incredible.
Beautiful mutation.

It’s a standard seedling and a clone of the mother. I did read a journal article on it when researching the phenomenon when it first happened to me. Not enough interest in going back and finding it now.

2 Likes

Ah screw you! you beat me to it! :smiley:

I was just gonna say that about the clone of the mother and the standard mom/dad cross.

One of the books I got on cannabis mentions it somewhere, either Marijuana Botany or the Cannabis Encyclopedia :stuck_out_tongue:

They are always yellow for me during this period in hydro. I Phd to 5.8 and gave some nutes. I think they’ll recover. There’s only a little water in the container and I think it uses up the trace elements really fast so it becomes deficient but that also tells me when they are ready to eat.