What is this seed doing 😲

Looks like a smaller less healthy Siamese twin.

13 Likes

I have a seedling of rare Dankness’ “The Ox” that is doing the exact same thing… “twins”. They usually grow to be two separate plants.

11 Likes

One is Arnold Schwarzenegger and one is Danny Devito, but you would need to grow them both out to see which one had better final results :joy:

15 Likes

thats not unusual. try to separate em and pot them single

5 Likes

Remember that many of the heirloom cuts are … seemingly less healthy: ChemD is variegated, Chem '91 is finicky as heck to grow, some plants don’t like their root systems to be wet and need dry cycles, and some plants are extremely slow to veg while others grow like crazy… that little guy might have sublime or unique qualities that are more preferable to the healthier phenotype! It takes growing it out to completion to make that determination!

2 Likes

BOGO variant. I have never had one do that but hope it turns out to be something special.

3 Likes

It’s some Grandaddy Purp genetics. I feel like it’s risky to separate them at this point. I’ll just let them grow up together then clone each one. It’ll be interesting lol. I doubt there will be a lack of resources because they will be grow in hydro :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Yeah, separation can’t be accomplished yet, but it is possible in the future if they both remain healthy.
I learned here in OG that one of those plants will be a standard offspring blended of mom and pop genetics, and the other will be a genetic clone of either mom or dad! (I believe courtesy of @ciganomarola )

3 Likes

Oh that’s incredible. So it’ll either be Big Bud or Purple Urkle. I’m praying for urkle. :pray:

2 Likes

BRAID THEM INTO ONE MEGAPLANT! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

In this case one will be The Ox (Bubba Kush X Stone Mountain) and one will be a pure Bubba.

As suggested, after a few days (10 or so) these can be separated (carefully) and put into separate cubes / containers and grown out to distinguish who s who.

Also valid.

3 Likes

Totally. A bonsai that puts out 2 different types of flower. That’d be bad ass to see. If you’re gonna cut clones of each anyway I’d totally do this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::seedling::green_heart:

2 Likes

“We’re not identical twins.” Arnold voice

3 Likes

Usually its supposed to be one will be a copy of the mother. But im not sure how true it is, dont know anyone who has done any studies or research to see if a actual copy of the mothers genetics are passed on to one of the twins in that situation. Guess we will have to see how these turn out.

3 Likes

That is not a postulation that I have come across in any genetics class I have ever taken. From what I recall twins are usually either paternal as a product of meiotic division with both twins being genetically identical (note: identical twins are never identical and are each unique and differ in their own ways and can have distinct phenotypic expressions) or fraternal deriving from two unique embryo’s where each one can be either male or female. Yes, there is the extremely small percentage chance of the original male having contributed an extra allele but that would be a fraternal twin that adds yet another hidden genetic variable which can not result in an exact copy of the original clone-only parent. A unique genotype expressing unique genetic phenotypic characteristics can never be reverse engineered from descendent lines once it has been mixed with a different genotype… basically you can never breed a true copy of the Bubba parent out of a Bubba x Moonshine cross. :v:

6 Likes

This is true of human twins, but go dig a bit deeper, looking specifically at plant polyembrony.

1 Like

I finally let one continue to grow next to the sister, and it flowered out just like her but it stayed shorter and not super vigorous. You’ll probably learn more by cloning it and growing it alone.

2 Likes

Cool, I actually took the classes that teach these details and work as an engineer. I was taught that during meiotic division, the megaspore mother cell (MMC) becomes four Megaspores by meiotic division. Usually three of the megaspores die through the process of programmed cell death (PCD) and one functional megaspore (FM) emerges as dominant. We can have cases where either a second MMC survives or the emergent Megaspore splits and becomes identical twins…multiple zygote from a single embryo. What aspect of the actual science do you feel I may have overlooked? :joy:

1 Like

Well, my understanding is that polyembronic cannabis seeds and other (but not all) plants too contain embryos from the pollination and resultant cellular division as well as nucellar embryo s containing only the genetic material of the parent (pollinated) plant, renderings it a functional clone.
Is it your experience in your studies that cannabis is not capable of nucellar cell production in this type of offspring? (@herojuana.tom )

I can just see profit :rofl:

2 for the price of 1; Enjoy your lucky and happy growing!

1 Like