What Other Plants Do You Have?

One of my favorites!!!

High Biscuits.

mee too.

3 Likes

Indoor ones? The hibiscus growing by my house are downright invasive – I kill hundreds every year and barely put a dent in them :laughing: Yours look polite, for what it’s worth.

1 Like

At 0F, it is nice to have a little something to remind one of the warmer climates.

2 Likes

It would help explain how the mother plant can survive in a 5 gallon container, for years…

Anyone grow or take Moringa?

1 Like

Cactus

17 Likes

These are beautiful.

Thank you for sharing.

99%

1 Like

Wow those are the coolest looking cacti I’ve ever seen, what type @Antocians66

Also @Viva_Mexico whats that…

I purchased a small tree a couple years back, the young leaves were most excellent in salads without much adverse taste. Unfortunately I lost it due to an early frost one year and moringa seeds are pretty hard to germinate. I should probably just break down and buy another sapling once I have my greenhouse built.

First year 1/4acre garden set up, spring 2013 French intensive soil prep(2foot deep trenches dug into each other). Desert sandy loam, no fertilizer, just to see what I had in soil quality and get a feel for my new digs.

Plants did ok but soil needed a lot of work.

Planted rye, alfalfa, and white clover to build tilth and boost microbes. Left fallow for 2 years and watering and fertilizing to keep things cooking.
I tried a grow last year and lost everything midsummer to the neighbors weed killer overspray,
24d left everything stunted in suspended animation so I pulled it all and scrapped the top inch of top soil.
The neighbor has been dealt with.
Ran another cover crop combo and watered heavily
Chopped it all last month and mulched it into the top 3 inches
this spring were expanding to 1 full acre and bringing a load of organic alfalfa hay and chicken manure for mulching into those new rows.

After the French intensive no further tilling is allowed, just compost layering and the occasional fluff with a broadfork.
Only complaint I have with desert soil is the microbe and insect life. Brutal murderous little monsters. Watched cutworms saw through 2 inch wide corn stalks. Predator wasps, lizards and desert mantis keep things balanced though.

15 Likes

Super set up Mr Bear. want to see this go too! :eyes:

~

I tilled 1/4 square foot for some basil sprouts lol.

End of the winter treats.

99%

2 Likes

What’s your favorite basil? I’m very fond of purple basils!

My favorite purple was Dark Opal Basil. Very aromatic and sweet. Hard to describe the smell, smells like basil but also has the anise smell to it.

5 Likes

Sweet of any kind.

I seeded some Thai and really loved the smell. Can’t find the seeds or they would be in there too. Strong licorice odor.

99%

2 Likes

D

I love sweet basil, grow it frequently, have tried many versions…all easy to grow, indoors and out.
Thai basil is great for eating, as well as being very useful as an ornamental plant.
Intense anise smell and flavor in addition to providing vivid purple flower clusters which are very pretty to gaze upon.
I really like Burpee Seeds Siam Queen basil
because the leaves are very fragrant, spicy licorice tasting and the flowers are a bright purple and very prolific.
I have found that when left to go to seed (as an ornamental fragrant plant) this variety can become very invasive. I often find it growing all over my yard, even in my roof gutters!

3 Likes

Helmet Head Basil Style

3 Likes

Who knew so many types of basil lol, I only know one type - the kind on a shelf ha

But hopefully if I don’t have to move I can do a nice outdoor garden and can put some of the awesomeness you all have showed in it

2 Likes

Gardening, where ever you are, is a benefit to the gardener and the garden.

keep seedin

6 Likes

“The greatest service which can be rendered any country is to add a useful plant to its culture!”

• Thomas Jefferson
8 Likes

These guys even gave me a freebie pack.

Must be a breeder thing. :wink:

99%

5 Likes