What size led for a 5x5?

@DougDawson do you happen to know which one of these you are running?

2 Likes

Neither. Those are the new smart models with app control. Mine are one to two years old. Still Samsung diodes though, just no app controls.

3 Likes

Im wondering if i should get the one with uv?

2 Likes

I have run the FC series for at least 3 grows now, and I love them. I can only imagine the newer ones will be juat as good if not better. The added IV is a bonus.

1 Like

It’s currently 15% off but they are having a halloween sale in 8 days. Im going to call today and see if the sale will be more than the 15%. Might be worth it to grab it now and eat ramen noodle for the month LOL!

1 Like

wattage per foot wise its less than what i have (KS3000 in a 3x3) but in terms of affordability they are nice. havent flowered with mine yet but so far works like a charm and cord is just long enough to go out the vent in the roof of the tent and back down to a table outside.

1 Like

Eat Ramen now Smoke top grade weed later… @seeds2weeds
Hahhahha

1 Like

@seeds2weeds only for the LM301B model with no UV, but there’s an extra $60 off for a day or two with discount code “60FC8000” from their email list

Or a similar Spider Farmer model with code “CCFC”, both have free US shipping:

3 Likes

Seriously lol

The fact that there is a sale now and coming up is driving me nuts. I really shouldnt fork out 600+ right now. Im going to tape a 3’ x 3’ outline on the 5x5 floor and just fill that for now. By harvest i should have saved enough spare cash to pull the trigger on one of those lights. Hopefully they will be on sale again bc the retail price is a definite punch in the nuts (the uv fc8000)

1 Like

I think that’s a smart approach man, the grow room will always be there, and as long as you can keep it moving now there’s always time for upgrades. If you wanted to use that extra space around the edges you could throw in a bunch of vegetables or greens or something, use that spill light to grow a bunch of kale or peas or something! Or, you could hang reflective scrims, like some Mylar bubble insulation or just panda film a foot or two in from the walls of the tent. It wouldn’t have to be fully sealed up just hanging panels closer to the plants containing the light straight down so more gets to the 3x3.

I also think if you hung the CMH off to one side, like 18” from a wall, and then put your other lights on the opposite side, you’d end up with a pretty good amount of coverage. You could just mess around with the a phone PAR meter app and move or dim them until you get a decently even light spread, or just put the hungry plants where the light is running higher?

Either way, good call exercising restraint, I have to do that constantly and remind myself I’m fucking broke and have the tools I need, just not the ones I necessarily want the most. But that’s fine, the bud keeps flowing and that’s what matter!

3 Likes

mammoth for the win. ive got an old 10 bar 800 watter and that mofo kicks ass

4 Likes

Couldnt have said that better myself. Sucks when you have to “know better”

1 Like

Depending on the spread of the light. 600 is kind of weak in a 5 x 5. This is my opinion. I have a 600 hlg in a 5x5 for the way I grow, which I don’t do anything at all. The bottom is a little light. The sides are a little weak. I just had add few extra lights. A couple of hlg 100r or something else. I have a big tent. With the taller ceiling, so I have extra room.

4 Likes

That is a good light. That would work very well.

1 Like

But those lights are still good. I know that we always want something new.

2 Likes

They are fantastic lights. The only change they made was app control which I don’t need. Otherwise they are the same lights.

2 Likes

I agree, I have a 550 RSpec HLG in a 4x4, which is an actual 500w at the wall, and it’s borderline if I don’t rotate my plants regularly from the corners. If it were a bar light that filled the tent instead of four Quantum boards in the center, I think 500 would be fine, as it is, I know I could do better and spend a lot of time spinning plants. So it seems like a 600-700w bar light that fills a 5x5 would be appropriate, since the key thing is being able to run it lower than I can run the boards. Light intensity is an inverse square relationship to distance so going 6” or 12” off the canopy instead of 15-18” like with boards means you’re getting a lot more light per watt into the plant

2 Likes

The numbers in the corners for that HLG Tomahawk unit, even at the 4 feet mark, are kinda low for me… I would say 750+ watts as a minimum for flowering in a 5x5.

5 Likes

I don’t see why anyone would go for a bar grid that was any smaller than their tent, the ability to to wall to wall within inches of the tent is the whole appeal to me, otherwise why not just hang a few well-spread center lights?

3 Likes