What size led for a 5x5?

mammoth for the win. ive got an old 10 bar 800 watter and that mofo kicks ass

4 Likes

Couldnt have said that better myself. Sucks when you have to ā€œknow betterā€

1 Like

Depending on the spread of the light. 600 is kind of weak in a 5 x 5. This is my opinion. I have a 600 hlg in a 5x5 for the way I grow, which I donā€™t do anything at all. The bottom is a little light. The sides are a little weak. I just had add few extra lights. A couple of hlg 100r or something else. I have a big tent. With the taller ceiling, so I have extra room.

4 Likes

That is a good light. That would work very well.

1 Like

But those lights are still good. I know that we always want something new.

2 Likes

They are fantastic lights. The only change they made was app control which I donā€™t need. Otherwise they are the same lights.

2 Likes

I agree, I have a 550 RSpec HLG in a 4x4, which is an actual 500w at the wall, and itā€™s borderline if I donā€™t rotate my plants regularly from the corners. If it were a bar light that filled the tent instead of four Quantum boards in the center, I think 500 would be fine, as it is, I know I could do better and spend a lot of time spinning plants. So it seems like a 600-700w bar light that fills a 5x5 would be appropriate, since the key thing is being able to run it lower than I can run the boards. Light intensity is an inverse square relationship to distance so going 6ā€ or 12ā€ off the canopy instead of 15-18ā€ like with boards means youā€™re getting a lot more light per watt into the plant

2 Likes

The numbers in the corners for that HLG Tomahawk unit, even at the 4 feet mark, are kinda low for meā€¦ I would say 750+ watts as a minimum for flowering in a 5x5.

5 Likes

I donā€™t see why anyone would go for a bar grid that was any smaller than their tent, the ability to to wall to wall within inches of the tent is the whole appeal to me, otherwise why not just hang a few well-spread center lights?

3 Likes

AGREEā€¦i run 640 in my 4x4, bare minimum ill go. 600 in a 5x5 is WEAK SAUCE .

I looked at the Tomahawk hard. I do NOT like its spread after 3 foot mark. At 4 foot out, for MY DESIRED PAR levels, its useless to me. Same as EVER with HLG, CENTER HEAVY.

The new Migro i just got, although not covering the footage claimed for it, STOMPS those numbers above in consistent light across its footprint. STOMPS !

3 Migro 250ā€™s in the 5x5 would KILL!!! 3 would allow 1000 par across ENTIRE 5x5 foot print. Cost about same as the HLG, would kick its ass big time in MY OPINION

Like to see the quality of the flowers @ 400 PAR ā€¦KNOW already , been there, done that shit.

3 Likes

Diodes are angled in the arrayā€™s

Yup, 640 watts/16 square feet= 40 watts per square foot.
40 watts x 25 square feet is 1000 wattsā€¦
750 watts in a 5x5 is only 30 watts per square footā€¦weak sauce.

I personally wouldnā€™t fill a tent more than 80% so I could work with as low as 750 watts in a 5x5ā€¦but not any lower

3 Likes

What many do not know is buds run at 600 par DO NOT RESEMBLE same plant ran at 1000 PAR , not in same league in my opinion. Im risking going to jail ā€¦ah yeah, im using enough light, wtf skimp out on the lights???

5 Likes

Exactly why im pissed that the guy who sold me the 315w with the 5x5 when i had the money for the right light. Here i am years later finding out its weak as fuck and i dont have the loot to fork out

1 Like

I donā€™t know man, I run a 650w in my 4x4 and 800w in my 5x5 with no issues. The 800 is 32w per square foot and does quite well. I wouldnā€™t run lower in my 5x5 but still think an 800w bar light is quite fine in that 25 square foot space.

7 Likes

I agree on both counts! A 650 is great for a 4x4, that is over 40 wpsf :+1:

And 800 is definitely good for a 5x5ā€¦ barring other environmental limitations, the extra 6% radiation from 32wpsf will yield better better than the bare minimum suggested 30 wpsf that would be achieved with a maxxed out 750 watt led.

4 Likes

750 to 800 in a 5x5. I agree.

2 Likes

What about the 750 migro? 3 250s would be 750?

1 Like

Iā€™m running 716 watts with a scorpion rspec far red and 30 watts UV. Got over 2 pounds of realy nice buds. Seems to run just fine in a 5x5. I bet I could get more if I put in a couple more plants. To fill in the edges.

1 Like

Im trying to figure out what my next purchase should be. Im pretty tight budget wise i narrowed it dow to mars hydro fc 8000 or migro 750.
Not sure which one i should get when i save up enough loot

Anybody know which is more efficient?

2 Likes