What the hell is eating my plant and how do i kill them

That artical says leaves residue on leafs not in them ?

Joe, could you elaborate on this? :sweat_smile: Microscopic world is beyond my poor knowledgeā€¦ :pray:

3 Likes

Yes , in laymanā€™s terms for us oldies lol

3 Likes

I 2nd the laymans terms and im a youngin lol. @JoeCrowe holds some next level knowledge for sure

3 Likes

I would think the amount of spinosad in buds should be minimal with a soil drench. Itā€™s not the same level that would be on sprayed buds. Plus that level should decrease as time goes on. I wasnā€™t excited to soil drench my 6 year old no-till soil with spinosad when I got thrips. But Iā€™m pretty much over it. It really cant last that long in soil since bacteria break it down, as does time, light, and water. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s no trace after a bit.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s not great to smoke it but there really canā€™t be that much. And Iā€™ve smoked way worse stuff. Ever smoke Mexican schwag? That shit has been sprayed with all kinds of shit and lots of times has traces of mold. Plus just breathing the air is unhealthy sometimes. I do try to make smoking as safe as possible but Iā€™m not too worried about a little spinosad being absorbed through plant roots since Iā€™ll rarely ever use it. Iā€™ve only had to use it one time so far. But I get it if people donā€™t want to use it. Itā€™s just too easy.

3 Likes

So if soil drench all of plant absorbs it

If I take a cut 3 weeks later from growth that was not there at time of soil drench
Will that still contain spinosad ?

And later if I take a cut of the new clone , will it still be there

2 Likes

Basically translaminar canā€™t transfer the substance as far as systemic. Like if you spray a leaf it will stay in the leaf but be able to move within that one leaf. Where systemic can spread the substance farther, say from the roots up through the plant and into leaves and buds.

1 Like

@George is thinking and now so am I
When his plants fade at finish
And plant absorbs nutes from leaves , will spinosad travel to buds with the nutes ? From leafs previously sprayed earlier in grow

Or as plants use up nutes from lower leafs during flower etc if they were previously sprayed

1 Like

Thanks, Joe says itā€™s systemic, letā€™s wait for him or we will have too many questions without answers ā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, if you spray leaves they will absorb it and then spread a portion of it to other areas since itā€™s somewhat systemic. But the majority will be where it was sprayed.

2 Likes

In the field, spinosad activity is characterized by cessation of feeding and paralysis of exposed insects within minutes. However, these insects may remain on the plant for up to two days. For this reason, growers and scouts should wait a minimum of two to three days to evaluate control.

Foliar applications of spinosad are not highly systemic in plants although some translaminar movement in leaf tissue has been demonstrated. The addition of a penetrating surfactant increases translaminar movement and activity on pests that mine leaves (Larson, 1997). No phytotoxicity has been demonstrated with this product.

https://ipmworld.umn.edu/thompson-spinosad

Referenced study in the above:

Though, the half-life of spinosad exposed to environmental factors is ~2-16 days. Half-life being half of the product decomposed into something else. When not exposed to sunlight, the half-life can be very long ~30-259 days.

Reference:

Spinosad General Fact Sheet.

Here is a study regarding spinosad on tobacco. I have not read this as of yet but may be pertinent.

https://meridian.allenpress.com/tobacco-science/article/54/1/1/66598/CYANTRANILIPROLE-AND-SPINOSAD-RESIDUES-IN-FLUE

6 Likes

Heh heh I was having breakfast. Yah itā€™s like PadawanWarrior says. Once you spray the spinosad on the plant, it enters the tissues where it touches. Thatā€™s called translaminar. Systemic is when it enters the plant, and the plant transports it to all the tissues.

3 Likes

So better not to soil drench and when folier no wetting agent

Is there a difference in led v hps in degration time ie no uv with led

1 Like

I would summon johnny with more experience using spinosad than I. He says never to use it, because months later your product will be rejected by lab testing as contaminated. Unfortunatelyā€¦ I wonā€™t summon him because, ugh, heā€™s at the hospital high off his ass on morphine. Iā€™m sure everyone knows the story.

3 Likes

Iā€™m on a roll : )
Shootin the breeze

So say I use a folier product like canna cure , then next day spray with spinosad
Then a week later blast with uv

Sending good vibes to Johnny : )

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure there are no traces of it in my pots anymore. Soil microbes take care of it quick. Half-life of 9-17 days. Well maybe a trace. But itā€™s probably so low itā€™s undetectable.

Spinosad also sticks to soil and has a very low potential to move through soil towards ground water. In field studies, no break down products of spinosad were found below a soil depth of two feet. In the top layers of soil, spinosad is rapidly broken down by microbes. Soil half-lives of 9 to 17 days have been reported. After it is applied, spinosad is not likely to become airborne.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/spinosadgen.html

2 Likes

@PadawanWarrior
Why not cut a piece of cardboard
Cut a radius line out so you can slide over top of pot makin cardboard bigger than pot so it doesnā€™t touch soil , and pre spray that top and bottom instead of the soil ?

2 Likes

I think I know what youā€™re thinking. You mean if you block off the soil completely the thrips wonā€™t be able to complete their lifecycle and die off. As long as it was completely blocked that should work even without the spinosad since they need the soil or coco for the pupa stage.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure they would still travel to soil somehow , but if cardboard was pre sprayed , then itā€™s a done deal

2 Likes

Oh man, I wish that lifecycle applied to all thrips. Would make killing them so much easier, since I donā€™t use soil, or any medium for growing. Uuuuuunfortunatelyā€¦ some of the little fuckers complete their lifecycle right on the leaf.

3 Likes