What the hell is eating my plant and how do i kill them

They lay eggs in plant tissue not in soil.

1 Like

daily sprays of alcohol/hydrogen peroxide/water and yucca extract to make it stick.
This will kill any adults it contacts. Spraying daily or every second day , drenching the plants, for a week to 10 days. It can be safely used in flower but can dissolve surface trichomes.

otherwiseā€¦ when all else fails and only in vegā€¦ Montereyā€™s Garden Spray with Spinosad.
Until someone can show me studies that it is residual and harmful, I will use it when absolutely necessary. Products like Saferā€™s End All , which work excellent for preventing mite colonies from establishing and is the go to for stem and leaf aphids does not even phase thrips. They are little fuckers and hard to deal with. In my environment they are a constant outside in the non winter months. Fortunately there are ample natural predators here that scour my plants constantly on the hunt for mites and thrips so I donā€™t have to spray anything usually. Iā€™ll reach for the alcohol/h202 spray before anything else.

As with any of the systemics itā€™ll wear off over time using half lives. Even the nuttiest ones like myclobutanil. Iā€™m not really sure how long. Irony I never learned those kinds of things cause it wasnā€™t a concern.

2 Likes

I see, but their first stage is in soil, so unless you kill all the eggs you will lose the battleā€¦ :roll_eyes:

1 Like

@JoeCrowe so the less you use and the weaker the strength , is better , as long as it still does itā€™s job ie watch itā€™s effectiveness and adjust for future

1 Like

Logically, it would shorten the time required to reach undetectable levels.

1 Like

So no to soil drench , just light spray on very surface
And no wetting agent for spray , folier or soil surface
2-3x with a few days apart

Reduce strength to minimum but needed effectiveness
And best just for mums , can do clones prior to flowering but thatā€™s a growers choice
If you were to use it ?

And come harvest , just to be sure ,wash , freeze and turn into hash lol
Plant matter is just another contaminant anyways
: )

@SHSC-1 so I can spray a flowering plant with iso but itā€™s frowned upon to use it for extracts
?

I donā€™t use Isopropyl alchohol on my plants. I use Everclearā€¦ 190proof.

1 Like

I had no idea spinosad was systemic or banned. I thought it was regarded as one of the ā€œsaferā€ options for organic use. Is it really detectable in the flower even if you only sprayed during veg?

I had white flies, thrips, and possibly russet mites in my veg tent. A few weeks of alternating sprays of spinosad and sulfur really did the trick.

I try to never spray and will only do it as a last resort. My first choice is sulfur because itā€™s also a fertilizer and my plants seem to pray after getting the acid rain.

3 Likes

Casts Summon Johonny Potseedā€™s Book of Knowledge

2 Likes

lol! Shit thatā€™s right, forgot about that one!

1 Like

Wowsers, why do people say you can use spinosad up to the day of harvest if itā€™s going to cause a fail?

What I found was the legal producers didnā€™t even know spinosad was a banned substance. That was only year two of legalization though, Iā€™m sure theyā€™ve wised up now.

1 Like

Holy cows that was a ton of information. Right now i have been using diatomaceous earth, and neem oil and pruned some infected leaves. Hope to have a solution today. These are just mother plants they will live their lives in veg, never flowering just giving off clone however, however i donā€™t want contamination in the clones genetically. Thank you everyone for all your input.

1 Like

Would azadractin not work for thrips?

I Could not answer that question but i can tell you the captain jacks does work its aimed at being organic but i would say it is not entirely as it has .05% spinosad, two maybe three applications and problems solved.

Spinosad is organic. It made by a soil bacteria.