What the hell was that 29 years ago?

Can we sleuth together? I’m not sure I’ll ever solve the mystery, but I’ve never tried.

I grew up in the Bay Area (California) in the '70s and '80s. We bought weed in sandwich bags for about $35/eighth in the early '80s. I’m guessing that most of the weed I smoked was either Mexican brick weed (perhaps it’d evolved a bit past bricks at that point) or Humboldt County grown, which is of course easy to get to the Bay Area.

October 23, 1985. Smoking a J and writing late at night. Suddenly, I become aware of massively loud audio: it sounds like someone is crashing two metal garbage can lids together.

I begin to freak almost immediately. I didn’t know it then, but it was a panic attack. Heart rate went to 160. Called my buddy to pick me up and drive around with me, just to chill. Two days later, I went to the ER. It was pretty much a three day panic attack.

Could’ve been anything, right?

My weed dealer was good. I don’t suspect any spikes, but there COULD have been.

It was a pretty stressful time. It could’ve just been that.

But October. That was when you’d see the earliest weed coming down from Humboldt. But that’s REALLY early for fully cured weed. . .

Was it the early harvest? (I think there WAS a lot of competition amongst growers, because everybody was racing to get their stuff to the Bay Area, of course).

I dunno. But THAT is the shit that made me quit weed for a long time. I joined the Navy a year later, and I didn’t smoke then at all. Went to school, had kids, etc. Didn’t even smoke again til 2013, AFTER I’d sobered up from alcohol.

I was very carefully in 2013. Avoided most sativas. Was literally afraid of Jack Herer and Durban Poison. (Now they’re among my favorites.) I am a “sativa guy” who likes that end of the spectrum – but I’ll never forget Oct. 23.

11 Likes

Loud noise outta nowhere can trigger a lot, wouldn’t blame the ganja for that.

2 Likes

I like ganja. Not trying to blame anybody. :slight_smile: That noise, though, was in my head. I couldn’t believe it at the time.

3 Likes

I tried some Durban in Colorado in 2015 I think. Gave me a paranoia like being back in high school baked.

4 Likes

What were your writing?

3 Likes

Can’t recall. I’m a writer now (professionally) so it doesn’t surprise me that I was writing. . .but I don’t at all remember. Something that didn’t get finished. lol

3 Likes

It was so intense, I kind of doubt it was just the weed. I always assumed it was laced with something. OTOH, I am a very in-my-head kinda guy – my brain can make shit 1000x worse than it needs to be, and it may have simply been my reaction that made it worse.

5 Likes

the first time he tried pcp…

4 Likes

Just an FYI 1985 was 39 years ago.:grin:

5 Likes

Just FYI I was 8 on that date :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

It was a mini birth halfway through your life. The weed might have helped you hear it

As irrational as they can be:th-3424136354

I’ve had a moment or two like that. Good on you for sharing. Sometimes my mind makes up shit that’s not there, and so does everyone else’s to varying degrees too, these moments are not nothing, theyre a part of us assembling our life fortresses, and what you heard might have been the roar of the abyss.

The sense of urgency might have saved your life simply by making you aware of a sense of urgency. Observing the process has changed it for you. It’s important enough for you to remember 40 years later. The root of it may be less important than what you glean from it

I’m a lil ashamed to have to edit this: thank you for your service.

4 Likes

When I was a kid in the '70s, someone had the bright idea of crunching up her dad’s blood pressure medicine and sticking it in the pipe. It provided a terrible buzz, and for the next few years I would occasionally wake up with the sound of wind rushing through my head (most uncomfortable). Some kind of weird shit in that bottle.

I also knew people who swore a Tylenol in the bowl gave you a better buzz but nah.

1 Like

Was gonna say. I can relate to that story. And I know for a fact that bag was laced with pcp

1 Like

That reminds me of the double mm Lemmon 714 quaaludes from back in the 70s. Got to admit to taking quite a few in my day. The big rage was people smoking them tried it once and was not impressed with the taste or effects, so I stuck to taking them only. :wink::+1::facepunch::ok_hand::sunglasses::v:

2 Likes

I am thinking this this moment back then looked alot like this…:smiley::smiley::smiley:

2 Likes

I was -15 in 1985😂 I’m about to be 24 in august

5 Likes

This was my thought then. There is NO WAY this is a weed thing. This is acid.

1 Like

OKAY, YOUNGSTER! lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s always sort of a trip to think about that, huh? Now, it would be weird if I’m 19 and you’re 8 and we’re having this convo. :slight_smile: But . . . lol

3 Likes

Yeah that’s weird. I mean, I got WAY too into Sudafed around that time, and THAT could’ve precipitated the anxiety too. But I never smoked it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like