Old photo from 1971

Heres an old photo my grandfather gave me. He said it was taken in 1971. Makes me wonder what strain that was or where it came from.

72 Likes

Okay, I’m feeling really fucking old right about now! labrat

Me in late 1974/early 1975.

ROFLMAO

81 Likes

Wow thats impressive. My grandpop is always saying the weed these days isnt the same as the shit back then and how the stufff back in the day was so much better.

12 Likes

I don’t think it was anywhere near as potent but it wasn’t bred six ways from Sunday driving down cbd and and forcing thc levels up. “Better” is subjective but I think even 90s weed was “better” even though it wasn’t nearly as strong.

11 Likes

Haven’t had a Schmidts in years!! Cool photo!!

4 Likes

You @mota put up some of the most interesting things and pictures! :wink::star_struck::sunglasses::peace_symbol:

5 Likes

Thank you, @OhNo555. Lots of crazy-ass shit has been going on in my head for a long-ass time. :laughing:

5 Likes

I was 25 in 1975, and the weed I was smoking wasn’t nearly as good, in terms of what I was looking for, as what we smoke today. It was mostly leaf with perhaps a very few small, immature buds. When I started smoking weed in 1965, there were no buds that I ever saw, just leaf. Then around the late 1960s/early 1970s, Thai sticks began to show up, coming into the country with returning Viet Nam vets. Still a lot of leaf, but having a twig with buds still attached tied around a small bamboo stick let you really see the buds and how they grew. With one exception, it was clearly stonier than what I’d been smoking.

In I think 1970, a couple of friends literally found a large, fully mature female growing in an empty city lot in Eureka, CA. It was at least 7’ tall. It was crazy. None of us had ever seen anything like it. Of course, none of us had ever grown either. The woman who would later become my first wife accused me of “lacing” it with LSD! No kidding! It was years before I saw anything like that again.

The reason the plant had been allowed to grow so large in public was it was growing at the bottom of a down slope, and that slope was at the farthest point from the sidewalk. All my friends could see was the very tippy top of the plant. My old buddy Sunrise said he only noticed that unusual color and he thought perhaps it was “that” color!

Personally, I would much prefer what we smoke today to what at least I was smoking in the '60s and '70s. Better, more mature pot was showing up by the 1980s.

I really hope your gramps was smoking “better” pot than I was! :slight_smile:

Totally!

23 Likes

My mother in law has a pic of my wife and her brother at Christmas time standing next to a 5-6ft plant with some decorations, she’s just a young girl maybe 6-7 so it gotta be 30-35 years old.

9 Likes

I really appreciate you sharing your experience. So few guys who smoked are still around to recount those memories.

7 Likes

I once discretely let a coworker know he had a fresh pot leaf on the back of his shoulder in the nineties. The rest of life has been a jungle, but thanks to him, I can find peace in a garden. I know it’s not from the seventies, but my memory always overlays a golden Polaroid quality. “The older I get, the better I was.”

4 Likes

That’s some bad ass holiday spirit man! We’re there presents under it?

2 Likes

Not under, more in the background, they are in their Pajamas etc. it’s pretty awesome! When we first met I still remember walking by doing a double take…. “Holy shit is that you” “ lol “ya that’s my dad! Always a plant in the windows and backyard” so cool !

4 Likes

36 Likes

OMG that’s AMAZING @Motaco ! Wait until I show my wife, she’s gonna laugh her ass off, love it! :facepunch:t2:

6 Likes

My grandpop was a vietnam vet so he also talked of the thai sticks. Ill read him your reply when i get home and try to type his response as long as i can keep up with him. Hell maybe ill record what he says back to your reply and then type it out to give u an idea of what pot was like in philadelphia in the 60s/70s/80s.
I bet that would be cool

Edit: he didnt say nearly as much as he usually does lol

4 Likes

I’ve always lived on the west coast and thought there must be differences in the weed we smoke, east and west coasts. What I smoked, at least prior to Thai sticks, was, I believe, from Mexico.

3 Likes

My grandpop said there was never buds, once ina while a small smashed yellow follow would be in there he said.
Towards the late 70s pot started coming from jamaica he believed… panama red came around on a stick and it was maroonish red and taste like chili powder, it was good shit said.
He said we never called it buds we just rolled “giant fuckin joints”

3 Likes

Exactly right.

That is perhaps one of the differences in east/west coast weed. Likely got to the left coast later.

I never saw it on a stick, but it did have a reddish tinge.

If you wanted to catch a real buzz, that’s what you did!

4 Likes

I love seeing these older pictures!

2 Likes