What's growing in your yard?

Plumerias and hibiscus are all starting to bud.
Just started unloading tropicals from the greenhouse.
New trees/ bushes I put out this year- Burr Oak, 5 Hydrangeas, 2 Bottle brushes, Desert Willow and Pawpaw… so far. My little spot has benefitted from this extra time at home!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Loving those colors desert rat, it’s been seriously dry here like a desert…

This lady has been using her body to shield her egg’s in what ever water is remaining, I helped her out.

The mister ribited a thank you and moved his head as to say… now jog on!

3 Likes

Since we’ve had three days of rain and my yard got a good soaking, my plants are starting to bloom on this sunny spring day! I’ve been waiting patiently.

4 Likes

I also have weeds in my yard that have pretty flowers. Once the flowers fade, they’ll be culled.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this rose bud to open for a few days now.

These roses never disappoint, they are gorgeous!

3 Likes

This is one of my old school heirloom Purple Iris. I’ve been waiting for it to open and today’s the day! They’re so beautiful! I really like irises!

6 Likes

@DesertGrown, very nice! I have some long bearded Tom Johnsons irises Im waiting to come back. So blue, they’re almost black. Cant wait to see them again.

where do you buy roses from? local shops have crap here.

2 Likes

Tom Johnson iris are from iris hybridizer Paul Black… he’s real good at what he does. I love the dark purple w/red-orange beards… they look stunning together!

I don’t really buy from any one rose hybridizer lIke Jackson & Perkins, Edmunds Roses or Weeks, but have in the past and nearly choked on their prices every time. They are beautiful high quality roses, but dammit, they’re expensive!
The rose companies that sell to stores like Walmart, Home Depot or Lowe’s all have roses that are pretty nice for the price. And sometimes the rose actually matches the picture on the front!

I look for certain things when I shop for roses or other flowering plants. I’d rather be able to pick them up and look them over, checking the canes and making sure there is enough and that they are undamaged. I look for viable growth buds at each node and any visible damage along the canes and don’t purchase anything that will have a difficult time growing.

I’m trying to grow flowers… not looking to add one more plant to my ICU to fix now and plant later!

1 Like

I went to Schreivers (sp) 2yrs ago and bought a few of each solid blue they had. I have a couple of Paul Blacks too.

paul black:

color me blue, might be my fav.

tom johnson

they all made seeds last year. who knows what pollenized them. I’m plant them once my greenhouse is built.

4 Likes

image image image image image Some of the beauties in my yard.

4 Likes

I get seed pods on my iris every year. My iris get pollinated by a couple of large flying Carpenter beetles that live in a nice big chunk of dead Elm tree trunk that sits in my yard.

Propagating your own iris from seed is fun and you never know what color combinations you’re going to get. It will take iris propagated by seed a couple of years to start blooming and afterwards, can be divided into single rhizomes later that same year.

3 Likes

Some roses from last year and garden plan for this yr. started some potatoes already and moved strawberries to a new trough too.

I just ordered a bunch of new Lillie bulbs too!!

5 Likes

Today I found a couple of signs of beneficial insects on my Banks rose… mainly Ladybug larvae hatching and locating/eating aphids right away. Nature is awesome!
From this…

To this eating machine…

To this well known beneficial bug…

Aphids and Whiteflies BEWARE!!!

4 Likes

Holy flower eye candy! You and @DesertGrown have officially caused me a lot of work ahead… Mrs. Heliosphear has gone on a rampage about we need those right away! So in dee werds of me kin, tanks fer nuttin!

Skippy and Jack, rescues… they are back in their natural habitats now, we miss them.

4 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this Iris to open for a few days now… it is totally worth the wait!

4 Likes