Whats in your refrigerator?

It’s all good in the hood :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just as an FYI I go shooting mate there are dear here, wild boar, geese, grouse and lots of vermin such as rats, pigeons and grey squirrels and as long as you have permission it’s a free for all but a .22 rifle here cannot legally be powerful enough to penetrate boar or dear skulls so unless you’ve got a license and it’s the hunting season AND can possess a firearm don’t be tryin to hunt wild dear :rofl::+1:

1 Like

I’ve seen quite a few deer up near the airport before and I even took a beautiful big pheasant that had been hit off a car home for tea. (Also a squirrel another time)
It was fkn beautiful :sweat_smile:
The pheasant that is.
The squirrel was to nutty for me :sweat_smile:
I took the pheasant to show @Esrgood4u and he said “You can’t eat that mate, you don’t know what killed it”
I was laughing my tits off.
I said “have you not seen it’s jaw?”
(It was smashed to bits)
He was just looking out for me like but it was funny asf :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Where do you get permission from though, does it habe to be the landowner or something?

1 Like

Lmao I know a few lads who eat roadkill and stuff they shoot. I’m yet to try squirrel or rabbit but we’ve some hides out in the woods ready for the squirrel dreys and we’ve just found a spot that is rammed of pesky wabbits so they will be on the menu soon :rofl: my friend assures me that once it’s seasoned it will taste lovely and I’m game to try anything once so I’ll let u kno

And permission wise yeh mostly you need to become friends with a groundskeeper or an owner of a large farm or some 20+ acre site that’s where you will find badgers, boar, dear an pheasants. I personally at the moment only have land permission for a farm that’s like a couple acre but it’s a dairy farm so mostly grass for the cows and goats so typically you see wood pigeons and rats other than that not much there. Get the odd squirrel running across land but I’m yet to manage to hit one their fast little bastards when their in the open hence we’re planning on doing some drey shaking :laughing: also it helps to be insured so if you claim it’s not on the farmer as that’s what puts a lot of farmers off of letting you on their land. That and thieves spying out equipment as it’s quitr a closed off community to get into! Take my word for it I’m only just getting a second permission and that’s a 40 something acre bit of land and the only reason I’ve managed to get into that is I know the groundskeeper as he has a firearm license but he’s getting older now so they need some help keeping nature “at bay” :blush:

3 Likes

I had the squirrel in a carrierbag on a red hot Summers day and was walking all over with it :sweat_smile:
I kind of forgot that that is no good as I was quite pissed.
I took it into my garden where I had a disposable bbq. I took the squirrel out the bag and put it on my cutting board ( a brick :sweat_smile:)
The squirrel’s belly deflated like something you’d see on a movie :sweat_smile:
That put me right off hahaha.

I ended up buying one from the butchers as I wanted to try it.
I also bought some wood pidgeon breasts.
There wasn’t really any meat on the squirrel.
I can’t even remember it even having a taste tbh.
The wood pidgeon on the other hand is one of the nicest kinds of meat I’ve tasted.

2 Likes

I’m reading this thinking I don’t know anyone with a farm…then it hit me I actually do :slight_smile:
Even more incentive to save up for driving lessons.

1 Like

By far my favorite wild game meat… although Moose is a close second… never tried Elk, but not fond of Caribou… If I could eat wild game year round I most definitely would… Mother nature provides some tasty dishes doesn’t She???

Awesome idea using the Pepsi refrigerator for a meat cooler/hanger…:+1:

Peace
DaFozz

5 Likes

Elk is far and away the best. Got my first elk this past November and my family has already finished it. And we wish we had more. Moose is my second favorite. Deer… not abig fan. Usually makes dog food out of the bulk of it.

2 Likes

I’ll be sure to go to Wally World and pick up a bag of Ol’ Roy and do a taste comparison…lol

Pass…

Peace
DaFozz

3 Likes

In my fridge, there are multiple SCOBYs, for Kefir, Kombucha, Vinegar (wine and apple cider). Multiple starters, sourdough, ginger beer etc. Pickled eggs, garlic, onions. chilli peppers. Fermented stuff like kimchi, sauerkraut etc

There is even some food.

Out of the fridge there are multiple jars of Kombucha, kefir, ginger beer, and currently about 40 litres of elderflower champagne.

3 Likes

Holy shit. Thats an active fridge! Im currently doing my first batch of kombucha now. Cool stuff

1 Like

Well there are different kinds of deer, and they definitely taste different. While many prefer white tails, mule deer is my choice. It has a more bold flavour (I find WT a bit bland) and mule deer are plentiful and easy to hunt in my neck of the woods.

One meat that surprises everyone when they first try it is black bear. It falls right between beef and pork, but milder.

2 Likes

Do you also have a bad stomach or do you just love the horrid flavour of kombucha? I love ginger but the kombucha I’ve tried didn’t taste very appealing but it’s good for ya so what can you expect :laughing:

1 Like

Try adding some Hibiscus flowers. You don’t need many and it improves the taste no end. You can also add fruits like passion fruit, or mandarins.

It’s the wife that likes Kombucha though, I am the pickle and sauerkraut fan.

I tried one of my pickled eggs today. Pretty damn fantastic. Used cardamom, coriander, and tarragon as the spices. As well as the vinegar made from apple wine I made.

The pickled early onions are not for the faint of heart. The pickling spices in there are some black pepper, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, mustard seed and some of the vinegar I pickled my Maruga Scorpion chillis in.

I know now I apparently should have brined them for a couple of days before putting them in the vinegar. Some on the top seem a little soft but strangely still crunchy. Bloody delicious in a cheese sandwich though. When they are eaten I will have some awesome vinegar for chips.

3 Likes

I’ve only had black bear sausages. They were good. Bears often have worms in my experience. I’ve also ate cougar before Haha wouldnt do that again.

2 Likes

A lot of bears have trichinosis, but all that means is you need to cook it properly (like pork, back in the day). Here we make cured smoked ham (from the hams, of course) and most of the rest is ground up and used for bolognese, tacos, meat loafs, etc. or put into sausage. Nobody would ever know they weren’t eating beef. The bear fat makes excellent lard when rendered - hands down the best for pastry dough - also excellent to rub into your leather boots as a waterproofing.

2 Likes

Where I live is crawling with black bears. Seen at least 20 within the last month on the way to work. Seen two sets of triplets as well. Never seen triplets before. Black bear ate a girl I grew up with about 4 years ago up north onsite. People tried everything they could to get the bear off her but they couldnt. Another gun free area.

2 Likes

yall are making this stoner hungery af.

i get out almost every deer season and try to bag a white tail. i like the meat but i do it for the time i get to sit in silence in the woods. i have a ruger 308 precision with a 42x variable scope that i use to hunt with, but i have quite a collection of rifles. i used to sell guns for a living before my current occupation.

sorry for taking the post off topic OP.

4 Likes

I heard about that. Fuckin’ terrible.

1 Like