What's your curing technique?

I have jars from 4 or more seasons ago don’t look pretty but sure smokes good .

10 Likes

I have been hanging until dry, trim, mason jars sealed with a vacuum sealer and burped every few days.

No real long term storage possible with a max of 6 plants per harvest, not around here. I have 4 adults in the house that literally burn through it pretty fast :fire:

I have several humidors that have been used for cigars in the past but I no longer use the nicotine. The three largest are rated for 750 cigars total. Been thinking of using these to cure/store and using the smaller 25 to 50 count boxes for current supply.
I’ll have to make sure all my humidity control devices are still operational and have adjustments for a lower humidity level than cigars are usually stored at.

5 Likes

As in 4 years? I do wonder What’s the point of going past it’s prime? then what if you freeze it, that should slow/halt the curing where it is.

2 Likes

My harvest, trim, drying, and curing routine is similar to what most people have already said.

The biggest difference I’ve found over the years is the genetics. Stinky strains grown poorly be stankin no matter how bad you fuck up the drying and curing. Stinky strains grown perfectly will blow the roof off. Mild strains grown perfectly will always smell mild no matter how expertly you dry and cure. Grassy is just a stage some weed goes thru no matter what, though technique can mitigate it a little. I also found this to be the case when trimming for a dispo grow across hundreds of strains and thousands of plants. I think it’s mostly genetics.

15 Likes

Some heavy-duty, airtight, PET Plastic.

2 Likes

I just smoked some bud I put in the freezer all the way back in march and it burned/tasted just as good as when I put it in. The key is to not open the lid until the jar and bud come to room temp or it will ruin it. I have opened smaller jars after a few hours but just to be on the safe side usually do overnight. It’s nice for putting away some special stuff that you like or just storing when you have way too much and don’t want it to become bland overtime.

8 Likes

Yes four years or more not on the cure or maybe it is just haven’t smoked it all lol . Still smells good I open the jars on rainy or foggy nights if I remember . Or if real dry 1/4 of a flour tortilla left overnight flour only not corn too oily .

3 Likes

I froze my weed for years… I would just break off a chunk when I needed some. It is better to let it come to room temp since the brittle trichs will fall off treated the way I did. But I was too stoned to notice :+1:

3 Likes

Temp stays about 68 and humidity at 57%

3 Likes

I hang whole plants so dry times will differ versus what you’ve got there just keep a eye out 7/9 days maybe .

5 Likes

Well, I have got to say…after smoking some bud that I just pulled out of the box, and I think it’s only been 6 or 7 days…
WOW!! I almost have myself convinced that 95% of harsh smoking smoke, is dust, hair, dirt, and general airborne pollutants. Haveing a sealed veg/flower room with filtered intake air…at a slightly higher rate than the out take air, then drying in a filtered box, just gave me the smoothest/best smoke I have had from these plants in 20 years. AND they were pulled a bit early. :dizzy_face:
Just an awe inspiring difference…

I really wish I would have done something like this many years ago. Guys, IMHO, something like this is truly needed if your after that oh so smoooooooth smoke. I am sure your milage may vary…lol

12 Likes

I am out of mason jars.
No one $eems to have any either

7 Likes

My wife has been bitching about no jars for months, and the ones she finds, like on Amazon are outrageous.

3 Likes

Vacuum seal if you’ve got one much longer shelf life than jars . Unless your using humidity packs in every jar it will get the dreaded jar stink 8/10 months down the road .

4 Likes

imo. you can not cure without a hygrometer in each jar/container. Otherwise you’re just guessing. :+1:

As for drying 60F/60% 14-16days.

11 Likes

garage and tag sales usually have some . you would think they’re gold the price they want for them nowadays. glad i have a huge stockpile in the shed. been canning for 20yrs.

4 Likes

When we moved, most of her jars did not make it. Told her I’d get her a bunch of new ones…what a lie that turned out to be.

2 Likes

What is this jar stink you speak of, is it a bad smell🤔

It’s the same around here, I am having to resort to plastic tubs. I think it’s all the dooms day preppers hoarding them.

4 Likes

Hey shadey sort of hard to describe old weed smell lost it’s original smell some what musty fermented type .
Maybe it’s just me but properly sealed in vacuum bags it doesn’t turn that way .

It’s like once the new crops harvested and cured the last crop is old news nothing comes close to fresh cured .

5 Likes

Yeah I know what you mean now, it all sort of smells the same once it gets past a certain stage not unpleasant, just kinda boring.

3 Likes