What's your curing technique?

Never saw any last that long 'round here. Shit just vanishes up in smoke…

8 Likes

You need to grow more :wink: once I started perpetual staggered harvests it soon started to build up my stocks. Even if I stopped growing now, what I have stored, probably about 2K, would last me 8 years lmao. I am going to have to start filling a second filling cabinet soon, as the first is full now.

I only use about half a gram a day at most. That doesn’t take into account all the RSO oil from trim I could make either. The strains I am smoking atm are all between 8 and 14 months old, although last night I tried some new stuff, caramel candy Kush and and White Diesel x ghost rider. Both are about 3-4 months old now, and are getting close to how I like it. Still got a bit of a buzz on this morning, The humidity packs help a lot keeping it just right.

14 Likes

yeah. still working out the best way to get the best yield per harvest atm. Think I have it sorted but it still leaves me at a 2 month gap between harvests. Perpetual has too many bugs at the moment. Literally. Working out IPM for perpetual.

3 Likes

It’s a weird feeling. I haven’t smoked a joint in like two weeks. Sure I have my hash too but to not smoke a joint for two weeks! It’s craziness.

Mrs Foreigner smokes a fair number of them though.

5 Likes

Space and multiple tents is the main problem I had to be able to veg and flower at the same time, once I converted my spray booth to a flowering room, yields went off the chart lol. Good luck with the bugs, is it fungus gnats?

2 Likes

Mites. The wife has house/outside plants and they come in and out as she pleases. I must live with it. I will include hers in the IPM routine going forward :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I just smoke with pipes, I like oil and edibles but it builds my tolerance to quick, not that’s a problem for quantity of use, but I dont like to be out of my brains 24/7. I also like to monitor my pain levels, so I know if things are changing rapidly and I need to get an operation before I lose certain functions like walking, breathing, or bowel control lol.

7 Likes

I hang whole plants for as long as possible, usually eight to ten days. It’s EXTREMELY dry where I live (yesterday RH was 13%, so dry you can feel it sucking the moisture out of your skin haha), so slow-drying is difficult. I used to hang the plants in a 3 x 3 tent, but I turned that into a veg tent this last grow and turned the bathroom in my grow room into the drying area. Hung the plants from my last harvest in the shower. It actually worked really well, once I got a handle on it.

But no matter where I hang my plants, I keep humidity levels at 50% (or as close as possible to that) for the first three days, then increase the humidity over the course of the next five to seven days, up to 65%. Then I chop the plants into individual branches and put them in paper bags for another seven days or so. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Then trim and jar, burp for a few days and then throw some Bovedas in and seal for a few weeks.

What @nube said is right, though. Some strains just won’t be “loud.” I just finished up some Time Bandit (WiFi 43 x 88G13HP)and it smells like wet carpet. Tastes fucking delicious, though. Last run, I grew a Golden Triangle/88G13HP plant and it smelled the same way. Dank, in the truest sense of the word. Musty. Gross. Not “loud.” But that one tasted delicious, too.

The slower the better when it comes to drying/curing, but some strains just aren’t gonna be stinky no matter what you do.

11 Likes

in my environment its difficult to dry stuff unless i do it in the grow room with a fan and dehumidifier in there. I’ve lost weed from mold after the harvest. its hard to get it i down to 50% in there. our falls are cold and very wet which is right as i harvest. tried once to hang in the garage and i wound up molding the whole thing even with a fan… RH in there stays 60-70% all the time except the driest sunniest days which are rare right now.

5 Likes

Yeah I have some of that now. From the jar it has that damp basement dank smell, but not very strong. Honestly it doesn’t really smell until you put it right to your nose, and even when breaking it up there just don’t seem to be any odor besides that light funk. But once ignited and burning its smooth and kinda sweet tasting.

I also just had this happen with my ancestral skunk. Grew fine and was checking the plants heavily during the grow looking for possible herming and never saw any mold or bud rot. But chopped them and hung them for 10 days and when I went to do the sugar leaf trim found mold Growing inside of most of the one plant. Only 1 branch from that plant didn’t have any mold so I went from 2-3oz to a 6 gram harvest from that plant.
But I only grow for myself and I’m not a heavy smoker(1gram/day average) so I always end up with way more than I’ll smoke before my next harvest so it’s not a huge loss to me besides the time and effort.

3 Likes

Curing is all about the slow dry… first let the plant hang until it is completely dry (about a week) and the stems snap like twigs. Then place in a brown paper bag for another 2 weeks… the bag lets the air circulate from the bud and causes a curing process to take place… after that jar and smoke.

5 Likes

Your life will be changed if you can implement that exact process without the paper bags.

Go straight from hang to jars. Control the environment and hang them a little longer - then straight jars.

Get hygrometers for your jars and make sure they stay in your desired range. If they’re too high, they’re not ready to cure yet.

8 Likes

The paper bag allows the moisture to cure out slowly from the bud… in a jar you have to “babysit” for the next couple weeks to avoid mold… or buy expensive dessicant.

5 Likes

Anyone here water cure? I’ve been on the search for some one that water cures for years.

3 Likes

Did it once, might consider doing it again for eddibles. Otherwise, the bud tasted like burning hair when I smoked it. But it did make some of the best hard candies I’ve ever made.

7 Likes

I did it once years ago. The bud smoked fine, smooth and normal potency, but tasted like nothing.

I’m slowly coming around to the hang it without trimming side, but trimming once it’s dry takes SO MUCH longer and I spend enough time trimming already haha. Is there a trick or something? I can wet trim easily twice as fast as I can dry…

7 Likes

Yummy :-/ I thought the big appeal of water curing was the taste? Or is it the lack of taste, or maybe it was smoothness, I can’t remember. It always looked ugly as sin when I saw pictures.

5 Likes

Well, it definitely didn’t smell like weed, so there is that… and it removed a lot if the water soluble things the ethanol usually picks up, so that was nice for edibles.

5 Likes

Usually smoothness was the goal I think. The idea is the water removes alot of the chlorophyll which gives harshness. Try it on a bud I’d be curious to see your results!

4 Likes

Really? You think? I’ve always found that trimming once it’s dry moves pretty quickly, if for no other reason than you can just kinda knock off the little sugar leaves and stuff with a scissor blade. Don’t even have to actually “trim” it, it just falls off with a quick flick.

5 Likes