Whats your favorite tree?

I have a Live Oak in the front. Worst decision I ever made with that one. Its a pretty tree for sure but every year it dumps leave’s, acorns and pollen by the truck load, literally.

6 Likes

Being an ex arborist (tree surgeon) I am partial to many trees. But it is hard to beat the beauty of a Wisteria or Golden Shower.

Golden Shower:
IMG_0585

Wisteria:

15 Likes

@CocoaCoir is that a baobab? Those things are COOL, like a prehistoric tree

1 Like

Beautiful tree…and never have I heard of something named so perfectly and so horribly at the same time, except maybe cornholio.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Got what feels like a hundred 50ft tall oaks. Probably 35 35 footers in actuality.

Got some pines, hollys, a really cool japanese maple hybrid. Favorites are the three Dogwoods tho, gorgeous little trees.

1 Like

I wasn’t planing on posting pictures but yall got me looking at years past. Everyone should post pics of their trees!
Here is my lil slice of the burbs that has been maxxed out. Too many things to explain… If anyone would like I can make a separate post that is not meant to be so communal. Busy yard… Tried to show how i use the sumacs.

14 Likes

Black walnut

6 Likes

We’ve got a beautiful century oak in our front yard, and a nice fruiting Mulberry in the back. Love both of them.

My all time favorite tree though was the Golden Spruce on Haida Gwaii…a one of a kind golden tree that was hundreds of years old and in the Haida coastal peoples legends, until some idiot cut it down with a chainsaw.

7 Likes

What the hell is the point of cutting that 1 tree down, there’s plenty of normal ones all around.

1 Like

Probably thought it was dead/dying? People are idiots

1 Like

The worst part about it in the burbs is cutting down trees is somehow addictive to people.
They see one go down and something in their tiny brain says fuck that tree in my yard that took a hundred years to grow. I want 3 hours more sunlight for the next 2 years i live here.

3 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa. There’s nothing wrong with working the land to make it more useful. But just randomly taking down all the trees is dumb. This is my most recent pile of death. Going to keep us warm for a couple winters.

4 Likes

The guy was a forestry engineer who became totally disenchanted with the way some lumber companies were destroying the environment, so he thought if he cut down THE ONLY TREE OF ITS KIND, he’d make a big statement.

The book is an interesting read, pretty sure Grant Hadwin, the guy who did it, drowned trying to kayak from the mainline to Haida Gwaii for his court appearance.

2 Likes

I’m talking more about the sole survivors that dot the burbs. There is like 1 tree over 50 every block.
i have no qualms with chopping some fire wood.

3 Likes

sycamore. by far my favorite tree.

3 Likes

I guess i’m not very exotic in my preferences :

Cedar

Eucalyptus, its performances fascinate me in term of root mass.

The agarwood/oud (i don’t know which name choose for English), if you know you know ^^

My wife is fond of it (archs of it specially), i try to multiply it from a big donor i’ve in the garden but I fail miserably each time. Any trick very welcome ^^

9 Likes

Its got to be the baobab trees spread throughout Africa. They have spirits, poeple live inside them, they provide shade from the intense heat, they provide edible fruits and they are often used as shrines or scared markers in the landscape.
They nourish the mind, body and soul and offer protection. Wonderful trees and so majestic. Thats without even counting the wood uses and the ability to be tapped to provide water in a hostile environment.

7 Likes

Have you seen this Sycamore

3 Likes

Rainbow Eucalyptus are pretty cool too!

12 Likes