What's your organic soil recipe?

For that size batch I use 9 cups of meals. I’ve been using biolive exclusively, buy just make sure the ratios line up. You are a bit light on that.

So far I can water only, but I’ve been using ewc and bus blend. The mix has done better than when I used rabbit pellets. Do like to use a little ffj in flowering, but I’m running sips now so I really can’t.

It seems to me that using bio live gives me a better “cook” on my soil. Before I was wetting with a compost tea to be sure. With all the benes in bio live, I don’t see a need.

Yeah I went back and thought I was light I think the last batch well the first batch had three cups of the minerals four cups is a kelp and barley and six cups bio live working on making my first batch of labs also some veg and fruit ferment think I might be having pH issues water is very alkaline but when I measure runoff it’s coming out right around 7 thanks for the help and yeah the bio live got it hot fast edit that bus blend is malibu right been looking for some might have to order it got some worms working now i appreciate the help

1 Like

When I started using ro water possible ph issues went goodbye. I found a 5 stage ro system for fish tanks for about 60 bucks.

No problem man. Anu other questions I’ll do the best can to help.

1 Like

I thought I didn’t need to check my water… should’ve at least once. All the way into my first grow, like a week or two before harvest, I happen to test it, because alkaline poisoning made sense given all the deficiencies the plants showed. Tested over 8, the highest my strips read. Well shit. Hooked up RO, and my plants since then have thrived.

It’s one of those things people who don’t know why they’re repeating it take it too far. Organic soil can and will buffer ph, but be reasonable, it’s not magic.

5 Likes

yeah i have had issues in the past with ph tested its at 8 or above didn’t know how this new soil mix and such would affect it when I do the runoff test its still comng out a bit high like 7.1 or7.2 I will have to look into an ro setup

2 Likes

Mix above looks good … I wouldn’t worry about higher ph the plant adjusts its own ph in and around the rhizosphere don’t try and fix some that’s not broke is my mantra.

1 Like

Yeah I added some more/better compost to the last batch and so far so good just 1 plant showing some cal mag issue other than that looking good still thinking about an RO system but I’m loving the living soil
Edit I think it’s time to build the no till beds

1 Like

1/3 compost, 1/3 peat, 1/3 potting mix… best base for anything

3 Likes

Base soil mix:

1:1:1: CSPM (Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss) : Pumice/Lava rock : Compost - Malibus B/U is an excellent choice if it is available in your area.

Amended per cuF with:

1/2 - 1 cup Neem or Karanja
1/2 - 1 cup Kelp
1/2 - 1 cup Crab/Crustacean meal
1 cup MBP (Malted Barley Powder)

1/2 cup Gypsum (nice sulphur source)
4-6 cups Basalt
6-8 cups Biochar

Small handful of worms per container

9 Likes

Hello everyone

Just thought i would post my water only organic soil mix for everyone interested.
I like this cause I don’t have to ph my water or mix any nutes. And it’s 100% organic.

Ok really all you need is

Bale of Pro Mix - HP,BX or MP

Gaia Green all purpose 4-4-4 and Gaia green power bloom 2-8-4

Earth worm castings. I only use maybe a half a cup per gallon of promix. Most people use alot more I think.

And that pretty much it…lol

I personally also add some neem meal and some extra dolomite lime, oyster shell flour and insect frass. I add them for buffering the peat based pro mix(promix puts lime to buffer the soil) and to help keep away pests.

But this stuff isn’t needed, you can just use the all purpose and power bloom with great results.

Now all you do is mix at recommend rate-
Pre-mixing soil for hanging baskets, potted plants, and planter boxes: Blend 45 ml per 4 L (3 tbsp per gallon) of soil or growing medium.

Now some people use just 444 for this while others mix in some 284 as well.
A good ratio would probably be 30 ml 444 and 15 ml 284 or something similar.

Let this cook in a tote or something for a few weeks, preferably a month. You don’t have to do this but it helps the soil start breaking down the dry amendments.

Now I don’t like my plants to get to big in the pots before flowering or they run into trouble.
If you want big plants you need big pots.

I only run small plants in small 2 gal pots. I flip almost right after I transplant a clone or small plant in a solo cup. It gives the roots fresh soil for the initial stretch after flower is induced.
So if you have big plants I would recommend up potting to give roots space once tripped. If you don’t your surely going to run out of steam during the stretch. Has happened to me plenty of times when I put to big of a plant into flower with not enough new soil to keep it happy with the stretch.

Top dress as directed
Top-dressing hanging baskets, potted plants, and planter boxes: Apply 15 ml per 4 L (1 tbsp per gallon) of soil or growing medium. Gently dig into the soil surface. Apply once a month.

Once in flower I top dress every 2 or 3 weeks.
If my plant is already a good size I might top dress the day I flip just to be on safe side. This top dress would be 4-4-4
First top dress at 2 weeks would be maybe half 4-4-4 and half 2-8-4
Then next would be all 284
I usually top dress until week 6 or so depending on how long the strain is supposed to flower. Something that goes 11 weeks I might top dress later than week 6.

After the flower run I keep my blumats set up, keeping my pots constantly moist, I keep them like this for around a month. This helps break down the root balls in the pots. Then when I pull the stock all that should come out is the Rockwell cube with very few roots attached.

At this point I dump my pots in a tote and re amending at half my original rate and add a little bit more ewc and a bit more perlite(usually try to put them in equal parts or more perlite). Keep tote moist so the soil can cook for a few weeks or a month. I run another flower run with different soil while it cooks.

Then rinse and repeat.
I’ve had great results with this method.

This past run I didn’t have soil made up for a new run.
I remembered a post on ic mag about just reamending in your pots.
So This time I just ripped out the stem with Rockwell and a few roots attached. Then dug hole to almost bottom and put in 2 tbls of 4-4-4 and covered with a little soil. Then I put in plants from solos or rooted clone.
I use blumats and also top dressed at same time, just plopped a couple TBS of 4-4-4 under drip line.
Done!!
I am noticing some calcium deficiencies already so not sure how good this is going to work compared to my original way.

Here’s a nice chart a member over at thc farm made from another member shaded_ones method for growing with Gaia green dry amendments. It’s very similar to what I do.
He also top dresses with gypsum and Epson salts

Any questions or anything feel free to ask.

17 Likes

Great write up. Intersting info you share here…… and evidently it is working for you. Well done!

3 Likes

What is your favourite sandwich? :thinking:

9 Likes

I’m a coco guy but with a straight forward recipe like this I may try to give soil a go again lol I failed pretty hard last time.

:man_facepalming:t4:

Nice write up dude.

5 Likes

No EWC?
Just finishing up my first attempt, same method. My last topdress I did with the 444 and bloom. A week later massive N tox in flower.
She’s gonna make it to the end. But smoke quality will probably be crap.
Nice charts. Thx for sharing

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with a good chicken parmesan.
Or some cured meats :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

6 Likes

I new I forgot something…lol
Yes I add a little ewc to my mix, I edited my post. Thanks for pointing that out.

I top dress with the all purpose only up to 2 weeks into flowering unless there’s a N deficiency. After that I only use the power bloom.

I can’t take credit for the chart a member at thcfarm made it.

4 Likes

So correct me if I’m wrong…but if your having to top dress then that’s not a “water only” soil… Am I wrong? I gotta say that’s false advertising bud… A water only is just that, build a strong mix from the beginning and run it start to finish with no feedings of any sort, just water. Since promix lacks any real nutrition that ain’t possible without heavily amending. U may as well bought a bale of peat and threw a lil perlite in it since ur already adding lime anyways

Gaia green is a great product and just another “meal” package of the essentials much like Dr earth and down to earth and fully support the use of it

Promix on the other hand…

Let’s analyze the ingredients
Peat, peat, and more peat, lil bit of perlite, some sort of polymer gel, a slow release fertilizer(those two sound promising :thinking::roll_eyes:), a bunch of lime to get that pH to swing up from 5 that peat is and some mycorrhizae innoculant(which doesn’t mean active culture thriving)

I don’t know why so many choose this stuff for an “organic” grow especially when anything in slow release is synthetics then ur having to dump a bunch of Epsom salts to make up for what the soil mix lacks then let’s throw a shit ton of lime at it to raise the pH to an acceptable level

The biggest problem I see is that pro mix hardly has any actual nutrition for majority of the mix. There’s no nutrition in peat, just water retention properties with something the roots can grow through and hold onto but ur strictly reliant on the amendments ur throwing at it vs building an active living soil, adding worm castings is helping to give the plants to feed on and helping with microbe cultures for sure but biggest problem is a good soil mix needs to be around half compost. That’s the meat and potatoes ur microbes are gonna feed on to feed ur plants.

You may have had success with it but I promise u there’s way better mixes u can make on your own and not load down a soil with a shit ton of peat.

I have switched to coir in my soil builds and gone peat free. Coir is neutral at 7, so I don’t have to load down a bunch of lime to swing to optimal range, add some compost and that’s the acidity that’s needed for ideal, and of course some perlite grow aeration and drainage(some lava rock too)

I’ve had entire grows start to finish I haven’t had to feed because working the mix and adding teas over the years have it plenty charged with plenty of “food” for my microbes to continuously feed on. Last Fem auto breeding run of 55 plants in that room was truely water only, I didn’t feed those plants once, just watered once or twice a week for the 3 months till harvest. The chocolate d run I fed em in veg to increase vigor but now they are in flower I ain’t gonna do shit for the rest of the run, should do fine

Maybe after some great Convos and some learning a better mix u will come over to my dark side and build urself a true living soil that only gets better over the years…till then check out this thread to hopefully put u in a better direction for better quality smoke.

@Rhai88 I’ve been preaching this soil mix for years with many trying it with great success and even won the overgrow awards for 2022 for top posting. If u never actually tried to make the build then I gotta say I’m a lil disappointed in ya, couldnt get anymore straight forward and simple of a recipe with 4 or 5 ingredients and been published on here for not much longer than u been hanging around. Compost,perlite, coir, and some Dr earth. All of which are available local to us. Just helped a buddy make 60 gallons the other day and out the door cost was 49 for everything. 1 cu ft = 6.4 gallons, typical bale of promix = 2 cu ft/ 12.8 gallon. So for 49 bucks it was 4 gallons shy of 5 bales of promix worth without the peat and plenty of compost and nutrition. A way better mix & save some $$$ that’s a win freaking win

10 Likes

@AzSeaindooin420 Well sorry for using pro mix and not making my own :man_facepalming:. Or using coco coir but thanks for the lesson. I guess I don’t grow water only in your eyes :man_shrugging:
Sorry my friend but to me not mixing nutrients into your water to feed is water only to me. But that’s just my opinion and they are like assholes, everyone has one.

Like I said it a easy mix to run organic water only no mixing nutrients. And if you run big enough pots you might not have to top dress. I use small pots so I have to top dress. Works great for me and I don’t have to build my own soil from scratch, which takes alot of time.
My soil get’s better over time and the peat tends to turn to humis over multiple uses, not sure what your problem with me using pro mix as my base. It’s easy to find and its not crazy expensive. It’s widely used by lots of growers. You prefer coco, good for you, I don’t want to use coco personally.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll keep them in mind.
But like I said I’ve had great success with how I do it. So probably not going to switch to something that’s more complicated and adds more work.

Plus I don’t want to add a bunch of compost that’s been outside to my indoor garden as it will most likely introduce outside bugs to my garden that is bug free.
I have access to huge amounts of compost if I wanted it but I just don’t want all those bugs coming with it. And I don’t think the wife would let me cook it in the oven :rofl::rofl:

I don’t use pro mix to feed my plants. It’s just a substrate to grow in that’s forgiving and works very well from what I see and its cheap and easy to find. Not to mention it is from canada and not having to be moved half way across the world for you to use. I add all the nutrients to the promix, not sure what the problem with this easy mix is?
Just that it’s peat based and not coir?

Anyways thanks for your tips. I’m sure both ways work great and produce great smoke
Happy Growing.

4 Likes

Seems like a really solid method to me! peat/coco debate aside(i like promix and coco mixes lol) i dont see anything wrong with it. Literally the only thing i do different is add teas instead of adding castings. As well as use pride lands vs gaia, and pass on the epsom salts for oyster shell or crab meal, depending if i need more cal or mag. but ive used epsom a bunch in the past too.

To demand a “water only” to be literally only add water with no top dressing is so removed from the main idea its silly. Props to you for sharing great info!!

3 Likes

Seems u took more offense to my response than actually learning from it. If ur gonna perpetuate and publish a method then expect people to break it down and criticize it for the good the bad and the ugly. Even in my soil thread I had some criticism that only made me learn more about the company’s I was buying my supplies from. Don’t take it to heart, just understand from an extremely experience grower to someone new at it, here’s what I’ve learned and here’s the biology behind it

Super soils and water only no till beds are becoming more popular but it helps if u have a better understand of what they actually are, to take a bale of promix and throw some Gaia in it and call it a water only soil just doesn’t make any sense, especially if ur following it up with I have to topdress every two weeks, add some lime and add Epsom salts from deficiencies but if I go take that same Gaia and bubble it into a tea then I’m “mixing it into my water?”. I really think u should look up and read revs total living organics aka TLO and what he has to say about super soils. U could learn a lot from him

I get ur trying to run an organic grow vs a liquid nutrient aka synthetic salts but that’s all it is and with polymer gel and slow release fertilizer being in promix is question it being truely organic

You say ur soil gets better over time but what’s getting better about it? Compost breaks down over the years especially with more and more microbe charges to keep adding available nutritional content. Peat offers nothing, just may become less hydrophobic over the years

Actually if u read my write up u would see I’m not a coco grower, I just use it at 25% to provide the water retention. My soil mixes are 50% compost. My problem isn’t just cuz it’s peat, my problem is that it’s pretty much all it is and still encourage soil builders to choose between coir and peat BUT use it at a more reasonable level of 25% for either that’s chosen to use but also provide the compost which is the meat and potatoes for your plants, that can carry a plant start to finish and the compost breaking down over time is what makes a better soil run after run

Promix is widely used by most BEGINNER growers until they learn much better methods that’s gonna give a more vigorous and potent plant, don’t think I haven’t had my run at it too

To say that compost is gonna bring bugs is ignorance at its finest my friend, I’ve been building soil for years with many different kinds of compost and bugs has NEVER been an issue or showed up in my garden. The heat alone of those bags sitting in the sun fries any bugs and keeps the compost pasteurized keeping good microbes alive

The problem is ur calling it a water only organic soil when it’s far from it, without compost and a full charge of nutrients and microbes there’s no way that mix can carry a plant start to finish. Not just that but I’m sure u run into deficiencies that ur having to correct each grow just knowing how pro mix is and the pH swings

So peat is more " localized"? Mushroom compost, steer shit and horse shit are the main easy to find compost everywhere and I’m sure it’s all source in usa. But since we’re going down that road did u know the peat bogs are slowly disappearing in Canada and cows keep shitting everywhere across the country?

They say that if u wanna be a millionaire then to hang out and learn from millionaires. Well anyone can grow weed but not everyone can great exceptional weed, but prob a good idea to not discredit an organic grower that does grow exceptional weed and spent many years on 300lb a year farms

I’m only trying to teach you what I wish someone would have taught me when I first started growing as quality suffered back then in those learning days, and sounds like much like myself being bullheaded thinking I had it all figured out so why would I listen to someone else? But that’s why I didn’t just come swinging in just saying promix sux, I’m breaking it down of what and why there is better options and what I feel ur lacking. And when the bottom line is “promix is cheap” well I just showed u a mix that’s even cheaper with more nutrition but to throw it all in a bucket and spend 5 min stirring it is "adding to much work "

Ignorance is bliss my friend, learn from the pros or stay a beginner “cuz it works” but remember if ur gonna publish a recipe there will always be folks to point out the good the bad and the ugly. I do invite you to search my user name and look at my past grows, u won’t see a single deficiency and the quality should speak for itself

2 Likes