What's your organic soil recipe?

Have you ever thought about this :

I just cut a hole big enough fit the mixer paddle through the lid.

When I never had the time to use the hand/tarp method. I have mixed lots of soil up with this method…Cheap and easy.

Regards,

K.

9 Likes

I’ve been meaning to ask you…Is that profile pic, a picture of a Datura plant?

Regards,

K.

1 Like

Im a lazy fuck, I use a cheapo concrete mixer to mix substrate with

4 Likes

Anybody here using/wanting to use Biochar for your garden? You may be interested in this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOEyIPVn2r0

1 Like

Hi all, I’ve gat about 10 grows under my belt, some in soil with liquid fert., and some with coco & perlite with liquid fert., but this time I bought a 1.5 cu.ft. bag of SoHum soil which is advertised as water only soil for the entire grow. I can’t start my next grow until some time in June so I haven’t had a chance to try the soil yet. I’d like to know if any of you have used these water only soils, and what you think of them, and how it worked out. Thanks. Mike H.

1 Like

Haven’t tried this particular brand but there’s a ton of good info in this thread iv moved yours to try to keep threads tidy.

Hi @Tinytuttle, thanks, this is what I was looking for but didn’t find. I’m still learning my way around here.

1 Like

Well, I have always problems with nutrient burns and deficiencies, so I thought it could be a good idea to run in prefertilized soil. Now I repent from that decision, I bought Biobizz Allmix and later on found out it has CalMag deficiencies. I had also to flush because of a nutrient burn while seedling so right now I don’t know what’s in the soil and if I should add some fertilizers or just pHed water. At least for noobs as me, it is not recommended. I think I will change to coco to have total control about what the plants eat and flush safer as someone recently pointed out … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi @Oranje, I wanted to chime in and say that I too had bad results with Rev’s TLO soil for veg. I let mine cook for over a month and it still seemed to either burn the seedling, or they would wither and die after a week or two. I dumped out a 35 gal. tote of that soil on the side of my house and everything seems to be growing in it except what I want. Would you mind telling us what amendments you add, and the amount to the Coast of Maine water only soil. I’d like to make up another batch of soil, but I don’t want to spend all that time cooking a soil just to throw it away.
Thanks. Mike.

1 Like

@George, ya I know what you mean. My last grow was in coco, I used G.H. Flora Trio, I had real good results but I want to try totally organic grow in soil to see if there is this big difference in taste that I always read about in all the books I’ve read. Plus if the fully amended soil does work properly it will be nice not to have to mix in fertilizer every time, and no flush. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

1 Like

Yes @CouchKushn, that looks like a good goal to achieve. My last grow was DWC with Advanced Nutrients and I really enjoy the flavour. Organic sounds good, but thinking about worms shit, bat guano and fungus doesn’t make me anxious to vape that mix :grin:. You never know what’s in soil (experienced growers for sure do) and as long as I still have problems with simple procedures I will avoid making it more complicated. Good luck with your soil cooking although I don’t visit much the Organics section … :sunglasses:

Hey @George, I do see what you mean, I’d like to try a DWC grow, but I don’t know enough about it to jump in. I’m trying to find a good book on the subject of DWC and hydroponics in general but there’s so many that I don’t know which book to get. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I’m afraid I only took general info from the net:

https://growace.com/blog/ph-and-ppm-knowing-what-your-plants-are-eating-and-how-much-they-can-handle/

Get Huge Yields Using Deep Water Culture (DWC)

How To Grow Weed Hydroponically For Beginners: A Step-By-Step Guide

It was my second grow and quite successful thanks for the help of experts like Shadey and LabRat, so nothing difficult to handle. IYou can start a grow diary and you will find help and support. if a noob like me managed to have a decent harvest you should give a try … :sunglasses:

I’ve used sohum soil and it does well start to finish with mid finishing timed indica like plants like mr nice s#it. Heavy feeding sativa types tended to fade a bit earlier than I liked.
I also had an issue with water absorption in fabric pots and had to soak them in a tub weekly towards the end. I didn’t have any deficiencies or burn and only watered with 5.5 ph well water

@George, Oh thanks so much for the info., I’ll definitely check those out. And starting a grow diary sound like a good idea too. I appreciate it very much George.

1 Like

Hi @Morgwar, thanks, I’m glad to hear that someone has used it and had good results. It’s a bit pricey, but I wanted to give it a try. I just recently checked out another water only soil made by Coast of Maine, The Stonington blend, I can purchase it locally and it’s about $25.00 cheaper per 1.5cu.ft. bag. Hey tell me something, did you add anything at all during the grow? Particularly when growing an Indica strain.

Oh ya, what do you mean you had absorption issues with cloth pots? That’s what I’ve been using, the only thing I’ve seen on my pots was the salt residue left behind from the salt based liquid nutrients.

I believe with that grow I supplemented a tbsp of pure coconut water per gallon and ph up.
I found the soil would get crispy and hydrophobic if I let it get too dry which happened more often in my fabric pots than my plastic nursery types.
With my homemade soil mix it soaks up more like a sponge. Easily fixed with some aloe or a tbsp of water surfactant

Oh O.K. I get it. Coconut water ay? I’ll have to remember that, thanks…

i believe charged biochar would work good in place of perlite. the biochar will give the microbes another place to live.

3 Likes