What's your organic soil recipe?

Boy just visited a thread over on GC on organic soil amendments and boy they seem to like bashing each other over there glad I found OG much better site here IMO!

4 Likes

Itā€™s hard to not cross that line into organic terrorist territory. Lots of, ā€œmy way is bestā€ in the organic cannabis game.

9 Likes

My mix (makes ~5 gallons before I add ~1/3 of that in perlite so ~6.5-7 gal total)
I use a small pot (~1.6 gallons) to mix up my soil and use ā€œpartsā€ of it to measure
1/3 (~1.6 gal) good potting soil (I use Dr Earth Pot o Gold)
1/6 (~.8 gal or half the pot) coco coir and 1/6 (same) peat moss
1/6 (~.8 gal or half the pot) worm castings and 1/6 (same) compost

Amendments:
14 tbsp azomite
14 tbsp rock phosphate
10 tbsp kelp meal
5 tbsp each of Hydrofarm bloom bat guano, Down to Earth neem seed meal, vegan mix, bio-live, and bone meal, Espoma garden-tone, and insect frass
3 tbsp Down to Earth granulated humic acids and blood meal

oh and I forgot the secret ingredients:
crushed dodo egg shells
unicorn manure
and a kilo of saffron
:slight_smile:

Yes, I know my mix is excessive, but I besides the ā€œsecret ingredients,ā€ that is really what I use and I donā€™t intend changing anything (except maybe the amounts, since this mix is stronger than my last). I already had most of the amendments around to make subcoolā€™s super soil (which I add periodically to my cannabis and vegetable plants if they need a pick me up, since my last mix was weaker).

My idea for a less crazy mix (that I wonā€™t use cuz Iā€™m CRAAAAAAZZZYYY):
Same basic soil medium, but following amendments:
1-2 tbsp/gal azomite
2 cups dry organic fertilizer (Espoma Garden-Tone is good)
1 cup kelp meal

Both of these mixes are basically a combination and variation on InTheGardenā€™s mix (https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/easy-organic-soil-mix-for-beginners.1116550/) and Subcoolā€™s supersoil.

9 Likes

Hey @ray how do you like that stuff? Im thinking about using it for my next grow.

1 Like

Been combing over some Dan Kittridge videos lately and came across some this aluminum controversy, he states that ideally Aluminum should be under 200 PPM in a soil report , he doesnā€™t state anything about detriments of aluminum on human health but also makes mention that microbes will deplete aluminum levels overtime.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, thanks to the help of @Sebring and @ReikoX Iā€™ve got many information and a nice no-till soil recipe. Unfortunately here in the UK is quite difficult to get some of those beautiful ingredients /amendments that all of you guys are using.

Iā€™m not able to find any sul po mag or any other variations
So far this is what Iā€™ve got

The only thing that said is salt, so I donā€™t really know if this will be dangerous for the soil life (once per month), is there any other way to add this, or do you think guys this will do? What about dolomite lime?

Also, there is a mineral mix, gypsum ,oyster shell flour mix with rock dust, volcanic, glacial and basalt as equal parts. but I just can find volcanic,
None of the basalt and glacial, it will be enough with the volcanic plus gypsum and the oyster shell flour or calcium carbonate?

About Liquid Fulvic acid, is there something wrong if is also humid I mean both together blend in the bottle?

Is the coconut flour a substitute of coconut water powder?, Iā€™ve got toons at home

Thank you very much for your help

Sorry if this post does not bellow here, please relocated if needed

3 Likes

How did that turn out

1 Like

I think the issue with aluminum and cannabis is that cannabis is a biodynamic accumulator so if thereā€™s high levels in the soil thereā€™s more than likely high levels in the plant material. Thatā€™s one of the reasons why I donā€™t use azomite in my mixes anymore.

3 Likes

The salt in that isnā€™t ā€œsaltā€ like sodium chloride table salt which is harms soil life. Itā€™s like more like Epsom salt which is magnesium sulfate. If youā€™re worried just use it at half the recommended dose.

5 Likes

I never bothered to try this mix for flowering because it didnā€™t work especially well for veg. For flowering, Iā€™ve been using Coast of Maineā€™s Stonington Blend Mix as a water-only mix (small amounts of dry nutrient amendments when repotting) with great success.

5 Likes

Anybody know of a place to order bulk amendments from?

2 Likes

Here is one for ya: https://buildasoil.com

2 Likes

Thank you sir. Truly appreciated

1 Like

https://www.kisorganics.com another good one for ya.

My soil mix is very simple. the primary component is native volcanic clay from my back yard. the clay is composed of extremely small particles and it is quite dense, so it naturally has a high cation exchange capacity. It is a great source of trace minerals as well, and it serves the same purpose as more expensive amendments like rock dust. I use a high ratio of perlite for aeration and drainage, between 1/3 and 1/2 the amount of clay in the mix. after the perlite is mixed in, the remaining 25 percent of the mix is good quality worm castings. The combination of clay and worm castings serves as my humus. for trace amendments I use at least a quarter cup of kelp and neem seed meal, and about a tablespoon of oyster shell flower.

During growth I mulch them every 2-3 weeks with fresh chopped lemon balm from my cover crop and worm castings. I occasionally top dress with dried kelp, or foliar feed them with kelp tea. occasionally I mulch them with local mushroom compost instead of worm castings. I occasionally water them with a teaspoon or less of maple syrup per half gallon of water to feed the microbial life, or replenish it if the soil starts to dry out.

The mix starts out dense but well aerated, and after one or two grow cycles with beneficial decomposers like rolly pollys and earthworms breaking down the mulch and old root systems, it turns into rich fluffy dark colored humus.

6 Likes

Farm and feed stores have the 50# bag for around $10

1 Like

the closer you are to Arkansas, the cheaper the rice hulls.

3 Likes

Im in cali. I saw your question on my name so i clicked on it but i dont see the question in the thread. this is all new to me so trying to figure out how site works. my mix is 1/3 peat, Ewc/compost, aeration. i add chicken and steer manures to bring up my compost component. I also use more than the 1/3 of aeration because my castings are dense. my ammendment are dte tomato 1 cup, neem/karanja mix 1 cup, crab 1 cup, kelp 2 cups, small amount of blood meal and alfalfa. i add more kelp because i havent found a cheap source of rock dust except for some lava rock i busted down. ive also since added MBP because i finally make it to the homebrew store. i try to keep it simple its basically a water only mix but i like to foliar a lot. silica/neem oil/aloe weekly, kelp/alfalfa teas just steeped and foliared as well as drench soil. or just plain water. i need bigger pots but ive succesfully harvested from a 5 gallon. nothing to write about but it showed me with tweaks i can yield more from small pots. im gonna try clones straight into flower outside.

6 Likes

Hereā€™s a nice article thought Iā€™d share from @Phatlewtz thread!

Phattys Grow Diaries (Bodhi Sakura, F2'd by Nube) (Chemdawg 4)

5 Likes

Hahaā€¦Rice Hull ā€œDealersā€ā€¦Better hope the Fuzz donā€™t catch onā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes