White bugs need help!?

I’m looking about 70+ gallons of soil there’s no way I’m baking anything lol

2 Likes

were did you source the soil?

You spoke about 4 inch cups ejem|nullxnull, that was what I was thinking about … beer2|nullxnull

perhaps but there population will grow and your plants may be all they have, outside they could find weaker targets lets say but at some point with nothing else around…

Buildasoil

2 Likes

Lol ohh this is what I’m looking at reminds me of a hamburger

Interesting. Wonder how they ship soil and still make a profit. Well there dirty grow room transmitted disease spreaders I would throw it all beyond your fence line,Burn some incense, say a prayer . bleach, start over. any plants put out side and cut a clone from them that you quarantine if you need the strain. Try local,hardware, plants stores or big box.

2 Likes

I’m almost scared to pop these seeds again

2 Likes

i am sure they are fine. its that soil! Nightmare!

1 Like

Call Jeremy at BAS and ask him about the soil. If the soil was outside at your place, full season, or inside even, for a full grow, I don’t see how you could blame them now. He may know what they are, too. Lots of questions to be answered before you trashed your soil.

They look like aphids in the pics of the larger seedlings. Need to correctly ID them before you make any rash decisions. Good luck! peace

5 Likes

Yah I would call the BAS guys, they are grade A customer support. If it’s used soil though, idk but im sure they wouldn’t hesitate to help, really they are cool peeps

1 Like

If you’re going to plant new seedlings then just put some of that soil in a Pyrex roaster or casserole, bake it and then fill those solo cups with it, happened to me with some prefertilized Promix with springtails inside, that was the last time I went organics … frech|nullxnull

3 Likes

Can you isolate the soil in like a bath room with an ozonizer. I would put in on a timer and make sure you seal around the door. Than run it for a set time. Just give it enough time after before opening it back up.

:laughing: :seedling:

2 Likes

Looks like either grain or bulb mites. I’ve posted about these before that they will decimate a seedling before the cotyledon emerges. A common mold/grain mite “Tyrophagus Putrescentia” comes pre-bundled with the predatory soil mite Hypoaspis Miles / Stratiolaelaps scimitus as a food source. Once the seedling has emerged they are considered a minor secondary pest if that. These mites feed on mold, grain (seeds, like the seeds in picture), and flours (barley that everyone’s adding to their soils now) to name a few things. If they are present in your area I’d recommend starting seeds in either rapid rooter style cubes or sterilizing your soil-less mix and then transplant to a living soil once established. If conditions are favorable they will actually be visible on the underside of leaves and completely colonize your roots as well. Regardless, they are not root aphids. Good luck.

7 Likes

Neem will not do anything to soil mites. Maybe ask @supershitfuck what he did to get rid of the bulb mites he was dealing with. Likely they are grain/mold mites and not bulb mites, but I wouldn’t feel confident in an identification without an entomologist chiming in.

These links may be interesting reads in the meantime :

https://www2.ipm.ucanr.edu/agriculture/onion-and-garlic/Bulb-Mites/
https://www.everwoodfarm.com/Pest_Insect_Cross_Listing/Bulb_Mites
https://www.arbico-organics.com/category/bulb-mite-control

2 Likes

i heavely watered with Venerate full dose twice, havnt seen one since! fuck bulb mites! i have a thriving hypoaspis miles population, so they won’t come back i hope

good luck @Dabby.Duck

4 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

So I’m pretty confident that they are bulb mites

Going to order some predator insects

2 Likes

They really did decimate my seedlings I mean decapitated the stock within hours I believe I have 4 or 5/8 left

They feed on germinating seeds makes sense

Had them last grow I seen them in the rootzone thought they were hypo.miles

2 Likes