Who adds molasses to their crop?

I dont like sulphates in my molasses. The only reason its there is to preserve it. I added gypsum to my soil once. And thats all the sulfur i will ever need.

In my world we dont put preservatives on plants.

1 Like

Gotcha, you mean gypsum like the walls are made of gypsumā€¦!?

2 Likes

Yes. But dont use that gypsum there are additives to it.

1 Like

Undulphered is what you wantā€¦
If you canā€™t find blackstrap.

2 Likes

I always have a bottle on hand but find too much slows growth and leaves droop a bit. It is a valuable tool but more is not better, it is hard to overuse but not impossible.

3 Likes

Agreed. 1/2 - 1tsp per gallon usually does the trick for me. First time I used it I put a tbsp per gallon and got this weird mold in my runoff trays. Live and learn.

4 Likes

I use a pouch of micronized molasses only because it is less sticky and for me easier to deal with and store. Only during mid to late flower though to keep the soil life going. It is true that sulfur will make plants taste better and be sweeter but the kind that is used to preserve molasses is in the form of sulfur dioxide. Plants take up sulfur as sulfates and they are essential to chlorophyll production, without enough growth is stunted. Anything with the suffix ā€œsulfateā€ has sulfur in it.

Molasses is also a good source of iron which is easily locked up in the soil. On top of being a good energy source for micro organisms, some beneficial bacteria then create compounds that chelate the iron and make it much more available to the plant.

6 Likes

Too much suffocates the roots.

3 Likes

That would explain the temporary droop and slow down. :grin:

1 Like