Who is running LED and an HPS?

I am thinking of putting one of my 400w hps in my flower room, along with my 2 LED (200w true each). Anybody running both together?

5 Likes

I’ve thought about it but haven’t done it. As long as the heat isn’t building and the leaves aren’t burning I can’t imagine it being anything but good, best of both worlds.

2 Likes

Well, I do believe we are about to find out brother. When I get done working on the house today, I think I am going to do it. :+1:

4 Likes

I’d definitely follow along on that to see how you made out! Been curious about it for awhile now.

2 Likes

If I am up to it, I will probably build one single light holder, with the LEDs around the outside, and hps in the center, all on one platform.

2 Likes

Yeah that beats the hell out of having to cram an LED board and the HPS in the same space and worry about equal coverage for both lights like I was thinking about.

2 Likes

I’ll post pics when I build it. Since your interested, that may motivate me tonight. Just I am hammered down on the house, so don’t know if I will simply have the energy left come tonight…lmao

3 Likes

I can’t see an issue with running them both but to have them rigged into one platform might make canopy uniformity a bit difficult.

3 Likes

The platform will literally be the size of the room, with one string up down adjustments. Never have equal coverage, since hps be centered. LEDs will go out to the edges of the room. So will have full and complete coverage, but yes will always be a bit unequal in the light hps/led. But, everything will get some of both.

I’ve been using a 1kW MH/HPS depending on whether it’s veg or flower, along with 2 LEDs along the walls for extra coverage below the canopy. I last ran a few Northern Lights seeds and it worked pretty well, even with a badly-insulated room. If you can lock down the room to get decent CO2 levels, and keep the temp/humidity stable with the heat of the HID bulbs, I expect it’d be even better.

As far as how to do it, attaching the LEDs to the wall works well for all-around light coverage; the other method we used, which worked but was extremely cumbersome to adjust, was having a LightRail moving the HID with its air-cooled reflector along the top of the room, with a mini-pulley attaching each LED to the carabiner for the LightRail and hanging them from either side to counterbalance each other. This was specifically for a setup with one row of plants, which left an LED on both sides of the plant and HID above. More controlled, but much more difficult to deal with raising/lowering the lights too.

3 Likes

Been running hps with Leds for a month now no issues. We don’t scrog or have a tent but working nicely. Changing over to all Leds but 3 1000 watt hps. Haven’t installed all the Leds just 4 and 3 hps. At the moment it cut heat back drastically not even running my mini splits. The thought is to cut back on heat and exhausts and $1000 a month electric bill :man_shrugging:
Wish you luck in your adventures my friend

3 Likes

I run a 600w hps with my LEDs in winter to keep the heat up out in my workshop flower room, it all works great, I just have to have the LEDs 6-8 inches higher up from the canopy than the HPS is all the difference.

5 Likes