Who likes to Canoe or Kayak? (*But not necessarily for fishing)

I miss being on the water in my canoe as it relaxes me as much as my gardening.

As a kid I’d fish with my Father, but I’m allergic to them so I stopped when we both stopped going. I’m not so much a catch and release type so it worked out as anything I caught was consumed by my family at home.

Last year I got a steal of a deal for $150 cdn; a Raddison (aluminum body, made out of aeroplane grade materials) that was beaten up and from the 70’s. The only work the former owner did was soak the outside in green paint. These types of boats are 4ft wide, have sponsons, and are ribbed and lined with foam; so the replacement foam needed wasn’t a fun thing to order but this canoe can now be FILLED with water and still make it back to shore no problems.

It took over a solid week of effort, but in the end I stripped it down and then rebuilt it back up

It’s now call it “The Black Swallowtail” because the moment I said out-loud “you need a name”, a Black Swallowtail butterfly landed on the canoe right in front of me. The canoe is painted matte black and I use lime green pool noodles over the gunwales for transport so it was beyond poetic.

Sadly the pollen has been so high that’s it’s difficult to get going without feeling fatigue; that and the lockdown in my Province has made getting into the water more awkward than usual where I am.

My boat is “only” 12’ long and double pointed with no keels; so it’s a lot of fun on the water but can get frustrating when it’s very windy. (I usually go onto Lake Ontario). It came bare bones, so since I got it I’ve had fun crafting:

1. Oak webbed seats,

1. an outrigger for big wave play, (made out of PVC and pool noodles),

1. a kite rig to literally “Waterworld” my way when the wind is 20-30kmh.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2)

1. an Oak motor mount for my 38lb thrust trolling motor.

1. a shade canopy (made out of a few clamps, pvc pipe and old tent parts)

I know i’ll get on the water soon enough but it’s still frustrating. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hoping there’s others here that have done similar exploits with their water-bound vehicles and I’d love to see everyones creativity!

Soon…

29 Likes

Nicely done

5 Likes

Thank you @OleReynard .

4 Likes

After watching that piece of art you made I don’t know if mine has the right to appear in this thread :sweat_smile:. I looked for one not very heavy as I carry it from home to the shore.

I just cross to a little beach just in front, my “private” beach as you can only access from the water, quite handy in this wuflu times we have to live with. I can only go when it is high tide, once it was too late and I get stuck. I had to go back “walking” with mud almost covering my knees each step I made … :sweat:

17 Likes

Omg @George that looks so relaxing!

6 Likes

I love still water kayaking. Problem is no one will go with me. Maybe I should take a page from George and go myself. I own two inflatables myself, two man row boats, but I would much rather tent a kayak, should buy one these days. Never trusted an inflatable, but if @George is still alive they can’t be that bad.

7 Likes

I have an inflatable kayak that barely good enough to be used as a flotation device.

There are good inflatables. Mine isn’t one.

8 Likes

@Pigeonman that is a beautiful restoration! and quite a badass canoe you got there. I respect your skills. Kayaking and canoeing are definately a special kind of relaxing. To me it almost feels primal the first 30 seconds or so out on the water. It feels right.

I havent done much canoeing, but I do a fair bit of kayaking.
I love kayaking. I live next to the beach so I like to go out on the ocean, especially in the middle of the night when the bioluminescent plankton are oot and aboot.

7 Likes

@Myles_CaliGold thank you! The water I go on i’d be concerned if the water started to glow. Very close to 2 nuclear power plants as there’s no naturally occuring bioluminescent plankton in Lake Ontario to my knowledge :laughing:

@Foreigner we should hit the water sometime!

7 Likes

I was tubing on a cascades today, and have the worst sunburn. I’m supposed to go kayaking with my girlfriend and my kids tomorrow. I’m going to be wearing all the sunscreen, and long sleeves and a brimmed hat

6 Likes

this is incredible, i wish i was half as handy as you

1 Like

My grandfather used to build cedar strake canoes my lil bro has the frames to build them we habpvent yet used to do canoe trips every spring after ice out up in Maine on the st John that Alka tash the crooked river Al over Maine was awsome floating down a river with a few canoes pass pass puff lol
Peace and stayvsafe

5 Likes

Love to canoe. We have a white water set up. 1972 Gruman 18 footer, out fitted with a wingman set up. Incredible machine.

5 Likes

Been forever since I’ve been canoeing or kayaking. Used to work at a campground bout 8/9 years ago and I’d go down the river once In a while after work

6 Likes

My parents gave me their 1960s era AlumaCraft canoe. It was designed for lakes - flat bottom with only a slight keel - which was great when I lived in Minnesota. I eventually moved to Missouri where that style isn’t as practical. We have amazing rivers to float here but I found it better to rent one designed for rivers than hauling the one I had. I’ve moved a lot and at one point we ran out of room and had to leave it behind…

Fast forward to last year. I ended up moving into a house by a lake. My friends have a canoe they never use so they decided to leave it with me. It’s nice to get out on the water again!

11 Likes

I proudly wear the moniker “canoehead”. I was very lucky growing up in that my parents took me on some pretty wild canoe trips 2-3 week long in Northern Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC and the Yukon. I pretty much grew up in a canoe really. I am the man I am today largely on lessons learned out in the bush and talks around an oversized fire by starlight. I find now I am only truly relaxed and at peace now after a couple days on the water… Im not sure if thats a good thing.

Anyways going to being hitting the Kootenay River in BC, so some peace is coming my way.

This is Manitou Falls, a sacred place to the Denesųłiné First Nations, deep along the Fon Du Lac River in Norther Saskatchewan far from any roads.

A portage and a beatiful spot for a campsite…

Flying First Class…

Anyways I would love to meet some more like minded paddleheads… I have many, many pictures from trips I could share if people are interesed!

12 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Nice pictures. So cool.

2 Likes

Absolutely breathtaking @TopicalWave !!!
Thank you for sharing and would love to see more :smiley:

2 Likes

@Pigeonman thats the most TLC I’ve ever seen performed on an old sportspal Bravo. I’ve got an old fiberglass banger from 1988 (Our first boat purchase) cost 269 cdn brand new. Use it all the time here in the Kawartha’s. Used to do a lot of portage fishing when we were in our 20’s LOL but recently discovered river fishing, rapid running, what great fun. Were looking up some more local rivers to blast down with canoes and my daughters Kayaks. NO serious white water stuff just rapids you can walk out of if you get stuck. I think were leaving the fishing rods and just taking drinks and doobs next time, with our PFD’s of course.

4 Likes

That sounds awesome! I want to get an ABS beater one day to white water again :smiley:

ABS i recall bouncing off the rocks. So much fun :smiley:

1 Like