Who likes to Canoe or Kayak? (*But not necessarily for fishing)

I got my daughter & I kayaks, this year! We have been loving them! I try to get out once a week. Started fishing just for something else to do while kayaking. :fishing_pole_and_fish::sunglasses::canoe:

5 Likes

it absolutely was an old grumman. shouldnt have ever sold it but i got rid of the old truck and picked up a bronco and it was a real bear to put on top of the bronco by myself after paddling all day. the kayak is much lighter and shorter. should have just kept it and bought a trailer to haul it around on. hindsight and all that

2 Likes

Yeah, I have sold a few boats I regret letting go! After a certain amount of time in the seat of a canoe paddling to special places, a boat becomes special. I miss my Discovery 17 (Also known as the Disco). Also a tub but I banged that thing off so many rocks. That was the first boat I ever wrapped around a rock. :joy:

5 Likes

5 Likes

Add im

ages

Summers kayaking and canoeing Superior are awesome.

4 Likes

I’ve got an old michicraft aluminum canoe thats about as wide as it is long.
The woman wanted me to get rid of it, but I told her it has too much sentimental value. Lol

2 Likes

This camp you can see a little of the wildfire smoke that came and went over the weekend.

Lets keep this thread rolling…, surely some other Overgrowers have some picture of them enjoying some paddlesports? We even allow paddle boarders I think! (Joking it looks fun… I met a gal who paddles class 3’s on one… pretty badass.)

4 Likes

Outa likes but :heart: !
The weather forecast is getting less brutal; i’ll take a bunch of shots once I actually get onto the water :smiley:

1 Like

Paddling anywhere in the Canadian Shield is special. The clear water, rock formations, and waterfalls are hard to beat. Also the fishing :slight_smile: . Northern Sask has an absolute beautiful set of rivers and lakes in a myriad of waterways in the North in Shield country… its one of Canada’s best kept secrets :shushing_face:

3 Likes

I’m sorry to report that my precious secret spots are no longer secrets. Anywhere within a 4 hour drive of the city is jammed up all the time :cry:

1 Like

What did you do!?

(:laughing: )

1 Like

Hope you dont mind that I revived this old thread and breathed some life on it. I plan to keep it going even if I have to bust out the defibrillator paddles and it turns into “TopicalWaves Monotonous Slideshow of Canoeing Pictures He Forces on the Hapless Citizens of Overgrow Show”

1 Like

Oh i’m totally good with this! I have ADHD so the more the merrier! :squid:

1 Like

My delicious odours attract rabble.

Nah it’s because there are so many people and so few places to go.

Many are ruined but my favourite was a half hour past minden and a 10k hike in over rough terrain. It used to be an escape into the middle of nowhere. Now it’s like a trailer park.

People are desperate for the outdoors. And don’t even get me started on how much garbage these gunsels leave behind.

Last time I went this group of 6 morons show up after dark and tried to make a fire by cutting down and stripping a live pine tree. While singing show tunes. 10 meters away from me.

3 Likes

Yes when I was first doing the Kootenay almost 20 years ago we were almost always the only group of people on the river. Now the weekends are pretty busy… We usually hit the water ealry if we can so we can sprint and get the choice campspots we have identified over the years (They all develop nicknames after a while… Scenic Spot, Gibraltar Rock, Chuckroast Rapid (where a friends flipped and lost our roast that we planned for dinner))

Now even the damn British Army knows about the Kootenay. I got yelled at by a Drill Sergeant when I went to rescue a procession of poor, shivering, British Marines who had obviously never been in a canoe before. “Leave them! Leave them! They have to rescue themselves!”. He and his guide he weren’t wet of course. (the Drill Seargent eddied out beside me in the river, and explained that the glacial water was needed to toughen up these lads and not to rescue any others if they flip! Haha)

(Im not sure why but I’m using a lot of () today…)

1 Like

Yes well I cant claim to be a no trace camper… I do pack out my garbage and bury the morning testimonials. There is so much more junk out there now… it makes me sad. Anywhere that is accessible by car or ATV here will have some sort garbage or shit left behind.

1 Like

:rofl:

It’s beside Lost Spatula Falls right?

The place I mention is crown land and there are no services. There is no trash removal. People treat it like a provincial park and imagine their garbage will magically disappear.

Abandoned pots and pans annoy me the most.

But I do like the discarded cast irons because you can see how far on the trail they made it before giving up on the extra weight.

And I take them home with me :rofl:

1 Like

Oh we name all the things when we are paddling. I figure if its not a named rapid on the map and as the most recent people to descend the waterway at the time, we have more right than anyone to name it right?

Sometimes rapids are very aptly named though. There was one in Northern Saskatchewan on the Porcupine River called Broken Hip rapid. We scouted it and it was big water but there seemed to be a fairly obvious chute down a ledge that seemed like a good line. Me and a friend decided to be the first to run it. We hit the line perfect and were sailing down the chute at what felt like a million miles an hour when we came to a dead stop. I flew from the strn and bashed my hips on the thwart and my bowperson almost got launched out of the bow and smacker her face on the plastic front cap of the boat. Turns out in the obvious chute there was a large rock hidden by the turbulence. I had bruised hips for a week and my fired had a bloody nose!

Ill see if I can dig up some pictures of the rapids and the aftermath… I know its on one of the USBs somewhere…

I wish I found cast Iron all the time… better than candom wrappers and bud lite empties…

1 Like