Why do stressed hermies create herm seeds?

Whoa, so the seeds from the light stressed plant have been solid? How many have you tried?

1 Like

In theory, any female flower that self seeds will produce identical seeds whether it be stress related, natural herm, induced herm, etc. It’s not Lamarckian.

3 Likes

So far have tried 2 last season and 2 more this season (plus 2 that didn’t make it to sexing)
It wasn’t seedy like a breed run would be, just a couple seeds in most of the bigger buds.

The breed run I let go to maturity, those buds were 90% seed and almost nothing left to keep but fluff.
Are my genetics solid? Were the original genetics solid?

Original cross was a seed grown daddy and a dispensary clone female.
Have heard (rumors only) about the Lemon strain being finicky on stress induced problems.

Until I start getting males showing up (knock wood) will keep it in rotation as I like it better than some of the others and have many attempts to find a good one.

This was 2019 grow log at post where I put 2 in for root stock grafting that didn’t happen…
Those went full term to harvest and were the only ones (outside the original & clone) that have been done so far. But since last year went well I do have 2 about to go into flower this year also…

2 Likes

Reveging a couple of lower buds left on a harvested female clone is one of the most stressful conditions you can impose , this is a great test / tool to see how stable the mother truely is , for future breeding : )

7 Likes

That’s cool. Could be a good trick to self clone onlys that aren’t overly herm prone.

@ifish I’ve only revegged a couple plants and no signs of intersex so they must have been pretty solid

3 Likes

From what ive read in breeding books is that approximately 1 in 1000 females are what is known as a XX female. These are pure females that dont herm even when stressed. When one of these ladies is identified the breeders used the silver on them to make fem seeds. I still have never run fem seeds, nor have I found a XX female. I do have a few s1’s in my collection that are from stressed females. I am super reluctant to use them. Ive been chucking for 8 years, and (like many of you) have always dreamed of starting my own small company, but want to use only XX females. Could take a lifetime to find just one special lady, but it will be worth it. Nature always rewards the patient. Sorry for the long post, time for a bong hit!!

4 Likes

Exactly ! Those are the xx females.

2 Likes

How would you know it’s an XX? I guess the 999 out of 1000 carry a Y somewhere in their dna, meaning the ability to go herm is by nature’s design.

2 Likes

WHOA COWBOY…the theory is solid and when in nature the pollen would still fertilize the XX and therefore the plan falls apart!
I believe if under a fair amount of stress and its solid…its solid! A little light leak and you got 2 lbs of seeds well that kinda fkd things up dont ya think?
I got one going right now that i was wonder why they weren’t flowering…light leak…no hermies! Other strains would be popping balls…save for breeding with a true male if its really good if not…you suck!

1 Like

Some people here dropping so called knowledge with no proof of them even growing plants. No grow journals or anything. Its quite annoying.

3 Likes

i KNOW THE NERVE OF SOME PEOPLE HEY???

SO ARROGANT…

Because they stress the plant several different ways to try to make it herm. When only chems (silver, etc) will cause a plant to reverse/herm it is deemed a xx female. These plants do not contain the y gene.

1 Like

Imagine if people hermied under stress :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ve turned into a crying little girl in a few situations :neutral_face:

4 Likes

As long as you don’t sprout an extra hole I think you will make it

If you do sprout an extra hole I fear you might starve to death in a closet somewhere :wink:

3 Likes

Maybe not hermie but birth defects etc

3 Likes

Lack of cytokinins, iaa, ethylene, or abundance of ga3 (stretchy monocious hemp) via dna, stress (heat, drought) or mutation.

1 Like